Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 850
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

  1. #571
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,091
    As much as I ****ing hate Ellis as a player, I'm OK with that. There's no need to carelessly throw guys like Milne back into the action when they clearly aren't fit enough to get through two consecutive four-day games unscathed. His development means nothing if he's sitting at home with a long-term injury.

  2. #572
    International Regular Kippax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Districts
    Posts
    3,351
    Nah completely DWTA. As someone who can move it both ways, Milne's the ideal case to craft an 80% mode like Steyn tbh. Which he would obvs be learning if he was English, and there was six figures there for the taking each year on the county scene. Instead he's got Gillespie in his ear, telling him he needs to be even more speed-orientated and imposing on a game apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

  3. #573
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,553
    Gillespie could lead the way and bowl hard instead of cute little outies then....
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  4. #574
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,229
    Milne's still only 21 and with his injury history I think the time for bowling masses of overs (English County Cricket style) and playing through niggles is not yet upon him.

    Once he's 24 or so there is that argument that, even if still injury prone, it's just better to play rather than rest and that he'll become bowling-hardened as a result (there have been numerous articles written about this over the years). But that logic doesn't apply while he's still growing. So I have no problem with him being rested for this match.
    Mike5181 likes this.


  5. #575
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Milne's still only 21 and with his injury history I think the time for bowling masses of overs (English County Cricket style) and playing through niggles is not yet upon him.

    Once he's 24 or so there is that argument that, even if still injury prone, it's just better to play rather than rest and that he'll become bowling-hardened as a result (there have been numerous articles written about this over the years). But that logic doesn't apply while he's still growing. So I have no problem with him being rested for this match.
    Exactly.

  6. #576
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,553
    don't people stop growing in their late teens?

    google says 18-19, but there are exceptions, especially if you're an athlete since lots of exercises stops plate thingies from fusing. pregnant people also stop growing sooner because their bodies go into adult mode and fuse the things.

    so we need to get our fast bowlers pregnant.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 23-09-2013 at 01:17 AM.

  7. #577
    International Regular Kippax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Districts
    Posts
    3,351
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Milne's still only 21 and with his injury history I think the time for bowling masses of overs (English County Cricket style) and playing through niggles is not yet upon him.
    Being told '150 or nothing' and breaking down six times a summer is doing him....what exactly. I can't quite figure that one out tbh.

  8. #578
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    so we need to get our fast bowlers pregnant.
    And that ruined my dinner.

  9. #579
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,553
    do you feel bad about eating pregnant people?

    what is your opinion on eggs?

  10. #580
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,730
    There's no need to bowl Milne into the ground in games that don't matter. Look at the lengths Australia have gone to in order to protect the long-term fitness of their young quicks; modern sports science definitely suggests that fast bowlers in their teens or early twenties should not be bowling quite as much as they are. Whether you agree with tactically resting players from legitimately competitive matches or not, managing their workload on A team tours is a no brainer.

    Personally I question the wisdom of Ellis being the replacement more than I do of Milne being rested.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  11. #581
    International Regular Kippax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Districts
    Posts
    3,351
    He wasn't bowled into the ground; he bowled 15 overs in the first dig and 11 in the 2nd.

  12. #582
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    He wasn't bowled into the ground
    I never said he was. In fact my entire point was that he wasn't and that it's a good thing.

  13. #583
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,091
    Phlegm stahp

  14. #584
    International Regular Kippax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Districts
    Posts
    3,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I never said he was. In fact my entire point was that he wasn't and that it's a good thing.
    Bowling two spells on the 17th-18th, and 11 overs on the 20th shouldn't even have the phrase 'bowled into the ground' raised if he was to aim for another spell today imo. If it is, try to crack down on the armchair general senior players hounding him to be more imposing on the game imo, see how that works.
    Last edited by Kippax; 23-09-2013 at 02:30 AM.

  15. #585
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,730
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.

Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. U/19 Tour: Sri Lanka in Bangladesh
    By Efaz in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-12-2007, 06:22 AM
  2. Replies: 261
    Last Post: 29-08-2006, 02:35 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-12-2005, 01:57 PM
  4. ** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour
    By nookie_lk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1641
    Last Post: 21-04-2005, 02:28 AM
  5. Sri Lanka A Tour to England
    By Legglancer in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-07-2004, 11:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •