• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
He wasn't bowled into the ground; he bowled 15 overs in the first dig and 11 in the 2nd.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I never said he was. In fact my entire point was that he wasn't and that it's a good thing.
Bowling two spells on the 17th-18th, and 11 overs on the 20th shouldn't even have the phrase 'bowled into the ground' raised if he was to aim for another spell today imo. If it is, try to crack down on the armchair general senior players hounding him to be more imposing on the game imo, see how that works.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think Milne should be trying to be even more intimidating in his bowling than he is?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think that's really in any way relevant to whether or not he should be playing back to back four day games for New Zealand A.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If there were no injuries or niggles then yes he should be playing. He bowled **** all overs and we have like 8 bowlers in our lineup.

Flem274*

123/5
Both of you have points and you're just being catty.

If the science shows young bowlers need a break, then they probably need scheduled breaks, but of course where you draw that line is the question.

And bowling 150 or bust is dumb. I can't name a single fast bowler in my time who hasn't used several gears, I just think Steyn gets the most attention for it because he always begins the day in the mid 130s.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also, as much as I do like having A tours purely as a development method, it would be nice to put together a proper A attack so that these guys get used to bowling as part of a streamlined, modern 4.5 bowler attack.

When you're part of a proper attack the responsibility of taking wickets and not leaking runs isn't diluted like it is in this team. Sodhi doesn't take wickets? Oh well, the other guys will have a go. Eventually someone will get him out.

They need to be able to respond to the situation.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Henry's been the pick of the bowlers so far.

I can see both sides of the argument, but I think Milne should've played if he is fit. This would only be his 2nd first class match of the tour, given that he missed out on the Indian matches due to a scheduling ****-up. It's hardly over doing things.

Wow, this really is a terrible side isn't it? Cachopa, Ellis, Munro, Devcich...urgh.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Also, as much as I do like having A tours purely as a development method, it would be nice to put together a proper A attack so that these guys get used to bowling as part of a streamlined, modern 4.5 bowler attack.

When you're part of a proper attack the responsibility of taking wickets and not leaking runs isn't diluted like it is in this team. Sodhi doesn't take wickets? Oh well, the other guys will have a go.
I don't think there's been any conscious decision to stack the team with 7 or 8 bowlers. It's just that the guys who stood out in last seasons PS as batsmen also all happen to be able to bowl some useful wobblers (Munro, Cachopa, Mitchell). Ignoring that lot, the attack has a lot of the halmarks of the 4.5 bowling lineup (with 2 spinners rather than 3 seamers) that you mentioned.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I actually think this is the best balanced 11 of the tour so far ....... That is if you take the leap in your imagination that Devcich is an opener and Munro is a batsman. May not be a good 11, but at least I can work out the expected role of each player in the team.

Only 'gap' is Eliis as third seamer, and I don't mind his selection in this context (resting Gillespie due to heavy workload, and Milne due to brittleness). Plus different ground from last match, and maybe a tidy 3rd seam backing up 2 spinners plus 2 fastish bowlers is right for is venue, not that we will likely know much about the conditions, that would require a media.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
what's the CW consensus on who our absolute best A team would be?

thinking:

Latham
Flynn (c)
Cachopa
Broom
Anderson
Neesham
Ronchi
Bracewell
Henry
Patel
Milne

dunno about Neesham but couldn't think of another domestic middle order bat

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You mean purely in terms of NZ's second best XI? Probably:

Redmond, Raval, Flynn, Broom, Mitchell/Latham, Anderson, Ronchi, Bracewell, Butler, Milne, Jeets

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
what's the CW consensus on who our absolute best A team would be?

thinking:

Latham
Flynn (c)
Cachopa
Broom
Anderson
Neesham
Ronchi
Bracewell
Henry
Patel
Milne

dunno about Neesham but couldn't think of another domestic middle order bat

Raval
Latham
Flynn
Broom
Mitchell
Anderson
Ronchi+
Bracewell
Sodhi
Milne
Henry

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You mean purely in terms of NZ's second best XI? Probably:

Redmond, Raval, Flynn, Broom, Mitchell/Latham, Anderson, Ronchi, Bracewell, Butler, Milne, Jeets
I think I'm basically on board with this but I'd leave Redmond out, open with Flynn and have Chops at 3.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wish I could be a mod so I could make ad hominem attacks during arguments I might lose if I fought fairly.
Yeah my posting has been getting pretty **** and boring tbh. Cribb has been doing that a bit though, thought his very brusque line to Maximas the other day of 'young batsman in being inconsistent shocker' when he'd merely asked other posters what to make of him wasn't really on.