• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

Days of Grace

International Captain
So, we are down to the top 25 test batsmen of all time. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the discussion so far. I'm really pleased that a lot of people have taken an interest in my ratings.

Here's a reminder of how the Formula works and what weight I give each factor:

The average total rating for players in the top 25 is 900.

The 900 points is made up of 3 separate categories:

Quality points: 637.5
Average: 40%
RPI: 8%
Non-Home Ave: 12%
T/O Ave: 18%
Strike-rate for innings of 50+: 5%
% S/I/M: 5% (total amount of significant innings against all opposition divided by number of matches played)
Best series (runs aggregate): 2%
Centuries per innings: 4% (adjusted total amount of centuries scored against all opposition divided by number of innings played. For example, an innings of 102 against Bangladesh would not count as a century. An innings of 92 against Australia in 2001 would most likely count as a century because the amount of runs scored would be adjusted upwards)
Innings worth Ave: 6% (innings played in team innings of less than 150 runs and less than 5 wickets do not count, e.g. 30/1, 140/3, etc.)

Career points: 112.5
Career length (days): 30% (points reduced for batsmen who played less than 75% of their team's total matches during their playing career)
Top opposition Significant innings (top 3 tiers): 25% (points weighted according to the top 3 tiers. For example, top tier S/I are worth 1.5 more points than tier 2 S/I)
Great innings: 15%
Top opposition Centuries (top 3 tiers): 20% (points weighted according to the top 3 tiers. For example, top tier centuries are worth 1.5 more points than tier 2 centuries)
Top opposition Centuries (top 3 tiers): 10%

Centuries are non-adjusted.

Peak performance: 150

25 Test peak performance: 50
Peak length (Days) 10%
Average 60%
RPI 10%
Significant innings (all opposition) 10%
Centuries (all opposition) 10%

Centuries are non-adjusted

50 Test peak performance: 100
Peak length (Days) 10%
Average 60%
RPI 10%
Significant innings (all opposition) 10%
Centuries (all opposition) 10%

Centuries are non-adjusted

Batsmen lose peak ratings points if they have played less than 25 and 50 matches respectively.

Confused? I was too at times.:p

Anyway, the formula seems to give some good results that back up a lot of historical opinion at the same time as being worthy of debate and discussion and that's all you can ask for.

No. 25 coming up in the next 12 hours...

Last edited:

centurymaker

International Captain
Great work. Looks very very complicated though :P How many hours did it take you in total to complete this massive project?

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Given how long Headley's career lasted (in days), he could be a surprise contender in the top 10.

Days of Grace

International Captain
25. Neil Harvey (Australia) (1948-1963)

Career Length (Days): 5502
Percentage of team's matches played: 94%
Career Average: 48.41
Adjusted career average: 49.94
Adjusted away average: 49.60
Adjusted top-opposition average: 44.91
Top Tier centuries: 2
Second tier centuries: 7
Third tier centuries: 1
Significant innings: 23
Significant innings per match: 0.29

Great innings: 3
3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Durban, Jan 20-24, 1950 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.77
2nd Test: Australia v England at Sydney, Dec 17-22, 1954 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.00
2nd Test: Australia v England at Melbourne, Dec 31, 1958 - Jan 5, 1959 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 15.52

Innings worth average: 3.53

25 Test peak adjusted average: 64.02 (1949-1954)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 55.18 (1948-1958)

Quality Points: 585
Career Points: 77
Peak Points: 140
TOTAL POINTS: 803

Undisputedly Australia's best batsmen after the Don until the arrival of Greg Chappell in the early 1970s, Harvey's record is very sound except for a relatively low significant innings per match of 29%. Perhaps he was a victim of an Australian team that for most of the 1950s was second-best to England. However, he was definitely a man for a crisis, as evidenced by his great innings. He also played an outstanding knock of 69 in Laker's match at Leeds in 1956, which fetched a rating of 9.67.

Neil Harvey 167 vs England - 2nd test MCG 1958/59 ASHES - YouTube

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I decided to list the remaining 25 as I'd rank them personally (today, anyway), to see how different my own subjective opinions were from DoG's objective statistical analysis. Harvey came in at number 23 for me - so we're seeing things roughly the same way so far!

It goes without saying, DoG, that this continues to be fantastically compelling. :)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Inzi next, surely! Harvey was a standout. I would have liked to place him above Chanders, but I guess Chanders has done more.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman, Sobers, Lara, Tendulkar, Hobbs, Hutton, Barrington, Ponting, Kallis, Sanga to make top 10.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Gonna have a go. Based on what I think I've seen so far in the list.

1. Bradman
2. Kallis
3. Sobers
4. Tendulkar
5. Dravid
6. Ponting
7. Hutton
8. Hobbs
9. Gavaskar
10. Waugh
11. Chappell
12. Hammond
13. Border
14. Lara
15. Sangakkara
16. Sutcliffe
17. Barrington
18. Richards
19. Pollock
20. Weekes
21. Miandad
22. Headley
23. Chanderpaul
24. Inzamam

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Gonna have a go. Based on what I think I've seen so far in the list.

1. Bradman
2. Kallis
3. Sobers
4. Tendulkar
5. Dravid
6. Ponting
7. Hutton
8. Hobbs
9. Gavaskar
10. Waugh
11. Chappell
12. Hammond
13. Border
14. Lara
15. Sangakkara
16. Sutcliffe
17. Barrington
18. Richards
19. Pollock
20. Weekes
21. Miandad
22. Headley
23. Chanderpaul
24. Inzamam
This is a good list although I can't imagine Kallis coming in at number 2 since DoG places a lot of emphasis on runs coming in victories Lara and Richards would be higher

Bradman
Sobers
Lara
Richards
Ponting
Tendulkar
Dravid
Inzy
Hobbs
Headley

to round out the top 10

Next up would be Chanders, Weekes, Border and Pollock. In no particular order.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Here are my top ten based on no criteria at all!

- Bradman
- Sobers
- Viv
- Hutton
- Tendulkar
- G. Chappell
- Lara
- Gavaskar
- Headley
- Hammond
- Trumper