Cricket Player Manager
Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    All this countdown to the number 1 is distracting from the crucial question.

Have his recent exploits meant Ian Bell has broken into the top 100?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    It isn't really a countdown to Number 1

Once we know even Number 3, we'll know the remaining two as well and their order!
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Looking forward to Chris Martin edging Bradman out for the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    His highest score should be rated the greatest innings ever, by my calculations.

DoG to confim.

"Best blokes". My ass!!!

I have always hated the Irvin Thalberg award for humanitarian work. What crap! How does it make any difference to cricket if after work Warne is busy sexting to buxom nurses while an inferior leg spinner is helping underprivileged kids!
    Last edited by bagapath; 13-08-2013 at 08:00 AM.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    a guy scores 34 centuries; 10000+ runs; maintains 50+ average for 125 tests. a guy who played only 22 tests gets ranked above him. there is no justice in this world.
    Think that is a bit harsh, if we are going to use that exact argument one could argue a guy with 52 tests should be behind him as well. Headley is to me without doubt the most under rated player on CW, considering he is seen by most to be the second best player of his era behind only Bradman and ahed of even Hammond.

On topic, surprised that Barrington and Sutcliffe still around considering that strike rate is a factor in the scoring. But it proves for me at least that stats can never tell the entire story.

Great effort DoG, also love the pics you are using.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Think that is a bit harsh, if we are going to use that exact argument one could argue a guy with 52 tests should be behind him as well. Headley is to me without doubt the most under rated player on CW, considering he is seen by most to be the second best player of his era behind only Bradman and ahed of even Hammond.

On topic, surprised that Barrington and Sutcliffe still around considering that strike rate is a factor in the scoring. But it proves for me at least that stats can never tell the entire story.

Great effort DoG, also love the pics you are using.
    Ah yes, we all know how important strike rate is. Personally I consider Headley to be one of the top 5 middle order batsmen of all time, its a shame he doesn't fit into my XI. Barrington and Sutcliffe are both underrated simply because they weren't brilliant strokeplayers and quick scorers.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Gavaskar going now also means that - as far as this study is concerned - the top three Test openers of all time are English.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Think that is a bit harsh, if we are going to use that exact argument one could argue a guy with 52 tests should be behind him as well. Headley is to me without doubt the most under rated player on CW, considering he is seen by most to be the second best player of his era behind only Bradman and ahed of Hammond.
    Headley has always felt to me like he was rated pretty fairly on CW, certainly not wildly underrated IMO. I've always felt it was very close between him and Hammond as to who was number two of that era - most rankings I've seen tend to have Hammond slightly ahead (as I do myself), but it's also fair to say that those rankings have often been compiled from a more Anglo-centric perspective as well.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I've often considered him if anything to be over-rated because of the quality of bowlers he faced not quite matching up to the reputations of the teams he played against.

Still not sure why strike rate should have a huge effect either personally - a game lasts 5 days.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Shame there isn't any empirical evidence available to measure that, as it would make an interesting stat, well entertaining anyway, and doubtless result in a few amusing tantrums from the more fanatical amongst us
    You mean like GF himself?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    So Sangakkara, Barrington, Suttcliffe all going to be ahead of Gavaskar. Not many lists will do that. Interesting!
    By end of Sanga's career many will have. If played as a pure batsman from the start would have been averaging 62-64 by now and would have been considered only second to Bradman at #3
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Ok this means Sanga is the second best batsman out of Asia?

I think it's more than just strike rate. Why does Dravid get away with a fairly low strike rate, and not a very attacking style? It's more than that to the reputation of likes of Barrington and even Kallis. Not sure what it is. Lack of heroic back of the wall efforts?

I don't think it's "slow" that gets up people's nerves. It's being one-paced, not adapting to the match situation.
    kyear2 and honestbharani like this.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information