• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Do the Wuzids and ND have any idea whether they'll be good or **** on any given day? I sure don't.

Elliott being a bit of a gun bowler in Auckland/Northland again, with his swing.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Big call if you were meaning "test cricketer" but not exactly one if don't. Bowls quickish, has a few variations and can hit a big ball. Could see him playing 20/20 cricket within a year tbh. Isn't a patch on either Anderson or Neesham however.
Thats exactly what i was calling. He's easily already a better bowler than Anderson, and imo is going to catch Neesham sooner rather than later.

vandem

International 12th Man
Do the Wuzids and ND have any idea whether they'll be good or **** on any given day? I sure don't. ....
A good old-fashioned game today, 220 plays 220, none of this 300 hit-a-6-every-2nd-over stuff. Enjoyed the radio commentary.

Did anybody here pick Santner earlier this season? 10-33-1 and 30 (39), tidy.

Howsie

International Captain
Thats exactly what i was calling. He's easily already a better bowler than Anderson, and imo is going to catch Neesham sooner rather than later.
Well he is a bowling all-rounder....

Good on Santner for his end of season form. From all accounts he was going to give the game away this time last year, good to see him bounce back.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I just watched Kuggs' 21 wickets this month; there's really nothing that special going on. The vast majority are just through hitting a 10-12m length hard, letting the domestix piss their own wickets away.

The whole domestic season has been of a really piss-weak standard this year, the numbers they're spitting out seem fake and impossible to draw meaningful trend lines through. As illustrated by the fact the team which almost set a NZ all-time lowest score in the format earlier this week, are in fact "playing great" and just booked a home final.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I've always wanted to write off Kuggs but then he gets a little bit better while still being clearly in the project category.

Have barely followed the ford trophy. Have CD won yet?

Flem274*

123/5
technically a wooden spoon is more than what 4 other teams get. we'll have some excellent cooks in the team soon, or some mean sword fights.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If we were to play 2 allrounders like we did at the Basin, Kuggs is arguably a better choice than Neesham in that he's more of a bowling allrounder.

It's an interesting dynamic. We know that Anderson has been given very direct orders in that his batting is what will keep him selected, but I'm not quite sure if we've had the opposite for Neesham and they want to play them both together often or whether they see Neesham and Anderson as being interchangeable.

At least with Kuggs it's pretty clear that his bowling is what will get him in the team, but he's got to be a fair way down the list. Behind the likes or Henry and Bennett at the very least in ODIs, but also Wagner will likely be given a shot, as well as Milne and a few other blokes. In tests Henry has got to be the first cab off the rank and I'm not sure whether they've ditched the idea of Gillespie yet, or even Bracewell.

Howsie

International Captain
I've always wanted to write off Kuggs but then he gets a little bit better while still being clearly in the project category.
He was a project in Wellington, a big project especially when he got down there. He's a genuine first class cricketer now however IMO. 436 runs @ 36 and 29 wickets @ 31. For a kid that just turned 22 they make for pretty good reading. Over the last 18-24 months he would easily be the most improved cricketer in the country.

I said earlier however, before the season, I just don't rate his bowling whatsoever. I don't see anything that screams "I'm a future international seamer" He's late 130's, skiddy and straight up and down. He is a long way down on my list of bowlers in New Zealand. I'll stick with what I said years ago that if he's going to make it as an international cricketer (and I'm talking Test and ODI's here) it'll be as a batting all rounder. I think he has a lot more potential with the bat then he does with the ball, but he isn't a patch on either Anderson or Neesham and both of them are those sort of players.

Hopefully he makes the 'A' tour to England this winter, can bat eight, maybe seven, and comes back next season batting in the top six. Would do him a world of good IMO.