Page 131 of 223 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 3333
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: **Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Classy stuff, corduroy strap and everything.

Welcome To The Boom Of 2014 | Stuff.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    National U19 tournament tables:

Runs

Wickets
    Bit of a 2013 story on Tryon. Seems to be a new done-me-wrong Stag who's now got himself 300 runs ahead of our premium World Cuppers, with two days of the tourney remaining.

Cricket: Stance finds traction - Sport - Hawke's Bay Today News

The Zimbabwean-born player, who bowls right-arm offspins, becomes the first Havelock North club national representative since Martyn Sigley in the mid-1990s.

The teen, known to mates as "Marble", arrived in New Zealand as a 5-year-old from Harere with parents, Darel and Mark Tryon, and his two sisters, Gemma, 23, now living in London, and Denise, 21, who is in Perth, where her father works for a train company and mother is looking for work. The Tryons fled their country following the political turmoil in 2000. They lived in Masterton for four years before shifting up here.

CD manager of amateur cricket Briasco says Tryon is an "interesting character who doesn't say very much but possesses very good hand-eye skills".

"He's probably still very front-foot dominant," he says, adding Tryon is working on his timing to rock back to react earlier to shots.

Primarily he feels the teenager needs to employ his shoulders and back more, rather than just his hands in executing drives, something Bay high performance development manager Dale Smidt also honed in a player who "wasn't the easiest person to work with".

"He's very receptive to coaching now and a hard worker so I wish him all the best," Briasco says, adding he'd love to see him prove the selectors wrong in pursuing a national berth.

He suspects two things held Tryon back in the age groups.

One, he perhaps didn't know how to face the shorter-pitched deliveries and, two, whether he exposed himself to coaching to address his shortcomings.

"Potentially he's capable of becoming a good middle-order batsman in the short form of the game because he hits the ball well, can rotate strike, runs well between the wickets, can bowl offspin and all those things."

Although he bats at No3 or 4, Tryon is excited about the prospect of "something different at No 6 or 7".

"At 3-4 you get more time to get your eye in but at 6-7 you have to score pretty quickly," says Tryon, who prefers to get himself into a rhythm before taking an aggressive stance.

Having fallen in love with cricket after his father gave him throw downs here as a child, Tryon didn't follow his family to Perth because the chance of higher honours are better here than the cut-throat Australian environment. The Tryons will be in Darwin to support him in the next few days.

"I'd love to make a career out of it," he says, emphasising he loves all three forms of the code.

His other big influence in cricket is former Havelock North age-group coach Derek Ward, who also offers him part-time work at his business, Craft and Hern Sports in Hastings.

Passionate about the game, Tryon hopes to enjoy himself in Darwin and see the Kiwis do well although making Dubai will be a thrill. Having to slip on a black ensemble with his name emblazoned on the back of the shirt will also be unforgettable.

Briasco says the litmus test for Tryon will be how he reacts when the opposition start delivering rib ticklers.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I doubt there are two cricket playing Martin Sigley's - I played against him growing up in Hamilton. He casually hit my off spin bowling for six when I drifted on to his leg stump once - went on to play for the school we loved to hate Boys High. Very handy keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I doubt there are two cricket playing Martin Sigley's - I played against him growing up in Hamilton. He casually hit my off spin bowling for six when I drifted on to his leg stump once - went on to play for the school we loved to hate Boys High. Very handy keeper
    Hey mate, todays not confession day

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Thanks for the article on Tryon, Kippax. Was just logging on to ask if anyone knew anything about him after his avalanche of runs for the CD u19s.

Seems Edgar and Bradburn figured they already have plenty of bats along these lines; good hand-eye but outfoxed by sleights of hand.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    looks a very raw talent. I never saw Taylor bat as a kid but by all accounts he treated it like his rep hockey games. Tryon is how I imagine Taylor batted. Hope he gets polished up nicely into a good player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

U19 Debutant
    Plunket Shield: University Oval, starts today
    Otago: Hamish Rutherford, Aaron Redmond, Michael Bracewell, Neil Broom, Sam Wells, Derek de Boorder (captain), Mark Craig, Neil Wagner, Jacob Duffy, James McMillan, Blair Soper, Nick Beard, Brad Rodden.

Canterbury: Peter Fulton, Tom Latham, Henry Nicholls, Shanan Stewart, George Worker, Dean Brownlie, Brad Cachopa, Andrew Ellis, Todd Astle, Matt Henry, Logan van Beek, Ryan McCone.

Cricket: Test pair back as Otago presses claim | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Ryan Duffy has been dropped for Rodden

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    I wouldn't say Duffy has been dropped tbh, more that they need cover for the middle order rather than opening so Rodden is a better option.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Where would these four be playing FC cricket, pray tell? Popli played for Papatoetoe in AKL for 2-3 seasons and never made a scratch of impact, never got near 2nd XI. Very limited player. Joe Carter I'll give you, Hickey might play List A elsewhere but I doubt four-dayers, and Santner..I'm sure most other provinces have a left-arm spinner that doesn't turn it, averages 50 with the ball and 7 with the bat. In fact all provinces probably have 2 better options in that regard that I could easily list off.
    Central, Otago, Canterbury.

The Popli that played for Papatoetoe as a teenager while he was studying at Auckland Uni obviously wasn't half the player he is now. He's scored a mountain of runs for Bay of Plenty in the Hawke Cup, a level of cricket higher than Auckland club stuff. Infact he has the most 100's ever for BOP now I think. Hickey would, he's scored a couple of big 200's for ND A now and Santner has just come off an "a" tournament where he was one of the highest run scorers while also taking 14 wickets @ bugger all.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Quote Originally Posted by RxGM View Post
    Plunket Shield: University Oval, starts today
    Otago: Hamish Rutherford, Aaron Redmond, Michael Bracewell, Neil Broom, Sam Wells, Derek de Boorder (captain), Mark Craig, Neil Wagner, Jacob Duffy, James McMillan, Blair Soper, Nick Beard, Brad Rodden.

Canterbury: Peter Fulton, Tom Latham, Henry Nicholls, Shanan Stewart, George Worker, Dean Brownlie, Brad Cachopa, Andrew Ellis, Todd Astle, Matt Henry, Logan van Beek, Ryan McCone.

Cricket: Test pair back as Otago presses claim | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Ryan Duffy has been dropped for Rodden
    Disappointing that Bennett misses an opportunity to press his case for the Test squad, although he might already be in the back of the selectors' minds.

It's pretty overcast in Dunedin with showers. Might be a stop start day.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Well, I think you can argue that an opportunity to bowl at the same international players who'll be lining up in the test series, even if it is only in an ODI, is a pretty good chance to press his case.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    How come Boult isn't turning out for ND? Unless he's a serious contender for ODI selection (which as far as I'm aware he isn't) then he really should be playing. Also, yay Bevan Small is finally getting a game!
    Last edited by Bahnz; 22-01-2014 at 02:50 PM.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Central, Otago, Canterbury.

The Popli that played for Papatoetoe as a teenager while he was studying at Auckland Uni obviously wasn't half the player he is now. He's scored a mountain of runs for Bay of Plenty in the Hawke Cup, a level of cricket higher than Auckland club stuff. Infact he has the most 100's ever for BOP now I think. Hickey would, he's scored a couple of big 200's for ND A now and Santner has just come off an "a" tournament where he was one of the highest run scorers while also taking 14 wickets @ bugger all.
    Look, they're all decent players. But you wouldn't slobber all over these blokes if they played for different associations. There's been plenty of people who have scored big Hawke Cup runs for ND/CD and gone on to do bugger all. The gap between A cricket and FC cricket is as big as its ever been. You name those sides but I'm sure a man to man comparison of all three ND players named would struggle to dislodge anyone from CD/Otago/Canterbury. Who in the top order in that Otago/Cant side are Hickey/Popli going to dislodge? Is Santner a better spinner than Beard or Astle? I'm not so sure.

Thread Information