• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Flem274*

123/5
That sucks. Mitch's comments about cricket and explaining his high economy rate in FC cricket to Flem were gold. I don't mean to talk down CW posters as some of the crew have played first class cricket. But Mitch's cricketing knowledge was very very good and made for much better reading than an average CW post.
he's pretty damn sharp when talking about the game, much sharper than his on field persona belies, but while my blockying about him was dire at the time the crux of my point was still right - he was no where near good enough to be playing first class cricket at the time and talk of selecting him for test cricket was barking mad. that got kind of lost in the rush by everyone else to appear a tru fan in the eyes of mitch and te ahu davis.

the one thing that flip flopped faster than my "lololol this guy sucks lol" to "this guy seems genuinely cut, i feel bad now. maybe i shouldnt be mean to him in future." was the rest of kiwi cricketweb going from inventing not very clever names like dropkins and ragging on the marshall twins to blatantly sucking mitches dick with holier than thou posts about not being mean to pros so they didn't get caught in the crossfire.

in retrospect it's pretty funny im now firmly in mitches camp regarding sending out the most balanced attack you can because you need all kinds of bowlers.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
he's pretty damn sharp when talking about the game, much sharper than his on field persona belies, but while my blockying about him was dire at the time the crux of my point was still right - he was no where near good enough to be playing first class cricket at the time and talk of selecting him for test cricket was barking mad. that got kind of lost in the rush by everyone else to appear a tru fan in the eyes of mitch and te ahu davis.

the one thing that flip flopped faster than my "lololol this guy sucks lol" to "this guy seems genuinely cut, i feel bad now. maybe i shouldnt be mean to him in future." was the rest of kiwi cricketweb going from inventing not very clever names like dropkins and ragging on the marshall twins to blatantly sucking mitches dick with holier than thou posts about not being mean to pros so they didn't get caught in the crossfire.

in retrospect it's pretty funny im now firmly in mitches camp regarding sending out the most balanced attack you can because you need all kinds of bowlers.
Thanks for that,

Regarding the part in bold. That was indeed the thrust of his argument. But it was very well explained with no cricketing cliche's and a well formed nuanced argument where he interwove logic for and against his own case.

Blocky

Banned
Mitch has a temper problem, not in the usual "Oh, he's a big angry fast bowler" sort of way either. He genuinely believes he should be dominating every batsman he plays, that's part of the reason I'd support a move for him into the NZ side though, we're missing mongrel in our attack since Obba retired.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

How Dare You

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Auckland vs. top five Plunket bats (vaulted games, Feb 2012 - Feb 2014)

Mitch
19/703
Ave: 37.0
ER 3.1

Bates
21/822
Ave: 39.1
ER 2.8

Bartlett
12/434
Ave: 36.2
ER: 3.1

C Martin
13/378
Ave: 29.1
ER 2.8

Mills
6/259
Ave: 43.2
ER: 2.8

Quinn
9/402
Ave: 44.7
ER: 3.2

Ferguson
3/241
Ave: 80.3
ER: 4.5

CdG
16/581
Ave: 36.3

Munners
6/173
Ave: 28.8
ER: 2.4

Grobbelaar
1/83
Ave: 83.0
ER: 3.9

B Martin
34/1528
Ave: 44.9
ER: 2.9

Bhupinder
8/311
Ave: 38.9

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A quick six cheers for agribusiness (Nov 2011 - Feb 2014)....

Southee
17/189
Ave: 11.1
ER: 2.9

Boult
13/288
Ave: 22.2
ER: 2.2

Vettori
7/136
Ave: 19.4
ER: 1.6

Sodhi
9/340
Ave: 37.8
ER: 3.9

Aldridge
30/798
Ave: 26.6
ER: 3.0

Anderson
2/96
Ave: 48.0
ER: 3.3

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
can't some clever internet guru use the time machine to find it. (don't laugh at that if you havn't heard of it before. It exists for finding old content)

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
can't some clever internet guru use the time machine to find it. (don't laugh at that if you havn't heard of it before. It exists for finding old content)
was thinking of that myself. If someone can give me the thread and approximate date i can do some digging.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What the hell are you talking about?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sodhi didn't get picked up by Bradburn, he couldn't get past Bucko Martin in Auckland (and Hira in the shorter forms) so moved to ND, at which point there are strong indications that NZ cricket asked ND to accommodate Sodhi. Sodhi has been a long term prospect for NZ since age group and we all know how ******** they get over leg spinners (ask CD and their experiences with Nethula after he shifted provinces too)
'Exciting' Sodhi signs contract with Knights | Stuff.co.nz

Strong indications from Bradburn that Bradburn lured him down.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Fletcher injured for ND there, a club keeper comes in -

Daniel Flynn (captain)

Graeme Aldridge

James Baker

Jonathan Boult

Joe Carter

Rory Christopherson

Scott Kuggeleijn

Daryl Mitchell

Bharat Popli

Mitchell Santner

Anurag Verma

Brad Wilson
James Franklin (captain)
Brent Arnel
Josh Brodie
Fraser Colson
Grant Elliott
Mark Gillespie
Andy McKay
Steve Murdoch
Michael Papps
Jeetan Patel
Luke Ronchi
Luke Woodcock
STAGS (from): Kieran Noema-Barnett (captain), Jamie How, Ben Smith, Carl Cachopa, Will Young, Greg Hay, Kruger Van Wyk, Tarun Nethula, Bevan Small, Ajaz Patel, Seth Rance, Joe O'Connor, Roald Badenhorst.

OTAGO VOLTS (from): Neil Broom, Aaron Redmond, Michael Bracewell, Brad Rodden, James McMillan, Sam Wells, Derek de Boorder (captain), Mark Craig, Nick Beard, Jacob Duffy, Jimmy Neesham, Blair Soper, Nathan McCullum.
A team will be named from the following twelve players:

Gareth Hopkins (Captain) (Parnell)
Dean Bartlett (Ellerslie)
Michael Bates (Suburbs New Lynn)
Craig Cachopa (Takapuna)
Colin de Grandhomme (Howick Pakuranga)
Martin Guptill (Suburbs New Lynn)
Anaru Kitchen (Waitakere City)
Bruce Martin (Parnell)
Colin Munro (Howick Pakuranga)
Matt Quinn (Cornwall)
Jeet Raval (Suburbs New Lynn)
Bhupinder Singh (Papatoetoe)

Flem274*

123/5
geez our bowling looks so raw. almost hope its a late season dry slow turner so nethula can start picking up his late season 5fers and we can play two spinners. Small goes from reserve quick to attack leader within a season due to injuries and test selections. no chance of dougeh being released then?

mathieson must either be injured or well and truly on the outer.

Flem274*

123/5
selection thoughts

ND - Baker or Boult sit out.
Welly - Brodie sit out (has had a horror couple of seasons iirc), Colson to bat three
CD - :/ top six to score runs
Otago - I have a feeling they're going to play three spinners, and for purely selfish purposes I want all the quicks to play
Auckland - where are all the seamers? :/ squad balance looks wonky.

i guess we're well and truly into the bowl as much spin as possible phase of the season.