• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 'World' Test Team

philip697

Cricket Spectator
Pretty simple premise. If you had to pick players to be part of a 'very best worlds 11 players' in a fantasy test side, who would you pick? And preferably, why?

:)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
of right now:

Cook
Smith
Pujara
Kallis
Clarke
Amla
Prior
Philander
Steyn
Anderson
Ajmal

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Pretty simple premise. If you had to pick players to be part of a 'very best worlds 11 players' in a fantasy test side, who would you pick? And preferably, why?

:)
Current or all time? Mine changes regularly.

All time

- Barry Richards
- Len Hutton
- Don Bradman
- Greg Chappell
- Viv Richards
- Garry Sobers
- Adam Gilchrist
- Shane Warne
- Wasim Akram
- Dennis Lillee
- Glenn McGrath

philip697

Cricket Spectator
Current or all time? Mine changes regularly.

All time

- Barry Richards
- Len Hutton
- Don Bradman
- Greg Chappell
- Viv Richards
- Garry Sobers
- Adam Gilchrist
- Shane Warne
- Wasim Akram
- Dennis Lillee
- Glenn McGrath
Current mate :)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't really see much wrong with hendrix's. Though I might remove Pujara/Amla and replace them with Chanderpaul :P Wouldn't mind Sanga either!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cook
Smith
Amla
Kallis
Clarke
Pietersen
Philander
Siddle
Steyn
Ajmal

Cook, Amla, Kallis, Clarke, Steyn, Philander and Ajmal are all straightforward selections.

Top class openers are a bit scarce at the moment. I really didn't want to include Smith, but he gets the second spot almost by default. In another year or two I fully hope that one of the young Indian openers will have established themselves well enough to take his place.

After much backwards and forwards on the keeping issue I eventually opted for Prior over ABd, not only for his superior keeping (which will be important with Ajmal in the side), but also for his higher strike rate - important as there's not a lot of batting in that lower order.

The 3rd seamers spot is very tricky. In the end I opted for Peter Siddle, for his accuracy and hostility (not to mention his handy lower order batting). Roach and Anderson both have strong claims to the spot, but Anderson looked fairly vulnerable when the ball wasn't swinging recently and he wouldn't have the new ball ahead of Philander and Steyn. Roach is close, but his career record so far is littered with too many easy wickets agains Bangladesh, Zim and NZ and his away record is poor. If the pitch mandates two spinners, Swann gets the second spot ahead of Siddle.

Opted for Pietersen over Sangakkara just, as I admire his ability to win a game almost single handed.

philip697

Cricket Spectator
Cook
Smith
Amla
Kallis
Clarke
Pietersen
Philander
Siddle
Steyn
Ajmal

Cook, Amla, Kallis, Clarke, Steyn, Philander and Ajmal are all straightforward selections.

Top class openers are a bit scarce at the moment. I really didn't want to include Smith, but he gets the second spot almost by default. In another year or two I fully hope that one of the young Indian openers will have established themselves well enough to take his place.

After much backwards and forwards on the keeping issue I eventually opted for Prior over ABd, not only for his superior keeping (which will be important with Ajmal in the side), but also for his higher strike rate - important as there's not a lot of batting in that lower order.

The 3rd seamers spot is very tricky. In the end I opted for Peter Siddle, for his accuracy and hostility (not to mention his handy lower order batting). Roach and Anderson both have strong claims to the spot, but Anderson looked fairly vulnerable when the ball wasn't swinging recently and he wouldn't have the new ball ahead of Philander and Steyn. Roach is close, but his career record so far is littered with too many easy wickets agains Bangladesh, Zim and NZ and his away record is poor. If the pitch mandates two spinners, Swann gets the second spot ahead of Siddle.

Opted for Pietersen over Sangakkara just, as I admire his ability to win a game almost single handed.
That team looks really strong to me. I do have an issue with the inclusion of Siddle, but otherwise, pretty much what I'd pick.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Mine is pretty constant

01. Len Hutton
02 Jack Hobbs
03. Don Bradman *
04. Viv Richards ^
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Garry Sobers (5) ^
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Imran Khan (3)
09. Malcolm Marshall (1)
10. Shane Warne (4) ^
11. Glenn McGrath (2)

Brian Lara
Muttiah Muralitharan
Dennis Lillee
Allan Knott

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Cook

Agree with both of these comments. Smith is not the ideal candidate for a world 11 opening spot.

And Anderson is not really a 3rd seamer. I think Philander could potentially operate in the 3rd seamer's role, but I agree it's not ideal.

Peter Siddle is a fair choice, but again it seems a bit weird to consider him for a world 11 spot. Jackson Bird, Pat Cummins, or perhaps Junaid Khan for variety would be good future shouts if they continue to do well over the next year or so.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Mine is pretty constant

01. Len Hutton
02 Jack Hobbs
03. Don Bradman *
04. Viv Richards ^
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Garry Sobers (5) ^
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Imran Khan (3)
09. Malcolm Marshall (1)
10. Shane Warne (4) ^
11. Glenn McGrath (2)

Brian Lara
Muttiah Muralitharan
Dennis Lillee
Allan Knott
Current mate, current.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Prolly something like...

- Cook
- Smith
- Amla
- Kallis
- Clarke
- Pietersen
- AB DeVilliers
- Philander
- Pattinson
- Steyn
- Ajmal

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Cook
2. Pujara
3. Amla
4. Kallis
5. Clarke
6. Chanderpaul
7. Prior +
8. Philander
9. Steyn
10. Pattinson/Anderson
11. Ajmal

Only thing preventing the unquestioned inclusion of Anderson is how he'd work in that fast bowling unit - Pattinson is probably more suited to the third seamer role.

Batting picked itself; only question was Kallis vs. Sangakkara and the all-rounder gets the slot. Pujara's shown he can open, so he gets the gig ahead of Smith.

Snippie27

Cricket Spectator
1. Cook
2. Smith (Cap)
3. Amla
4. Kallis
5. Clarke
6. Chanderpaul
7. Prior
8. Philander
9. Steyn
10. Anderson
11. Ajmal

Prefer Smith as Captain over the other choices tbf, and though his form isn't great, I still rank him ahead of Pujara atm.

The rest speaks for themselves, and it has to be said this bowling attack could kill almost any batting attack from any era.

The sixth bowler option in Kallis is pivotal!

kingkallis

International Coach
Ali Cook
Graeme Smith ( c )
Hashim Amla
Kumar Sangakkara
Jacques Kallis
Micheal Clarke
AB de villiers ( + )
Vernon Philander
James Pattinson
Dale Steyn