• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am not suggesting or backing either party. Both have nothing good to add to Indian cricket. But at the same time, whether we like it or not regional groups(in this case Marathi and Tamil) have a role to play here. As for Sharad Pawar, he is a dangerous man and has been waiting ever since to take revenge on Srinivasan for apparent humiliation he had to suffer. He showed it when he broke away from Congress and has ever since kept near total control over Maharashtra especially Money cow- Mumbai.
It may be so but Pawar alone won't be able to swing it. There are others whose voices count as well. The most important factor that goes against Srinivasan is the anti-corruption sentiment in the country today. All opposition parties, particularly the major ones are beating rivals with this stick. The public is sick of the seemingly unending number of skeletons and with general elections looming ahead, no one wants to be seen to be backing such an emotive issue with such corrupting issues attached. The public is watching the drama unfold on the tv screens, the apex court has already stepped in and asked the BCCI to clean up its house, Mr Srinivasan, with his belated dish owning of his son-in-law's connections to CSK has kind of admitted that he expects the stuff against Guru to affect CSK and him ;Srinivasan) personally. Under theses circumstances no one wants to be seen to be *****footing any more. Those who come on TV debates trying to soft peddle the issue with a wait for the investigation to be over and a few rotten eggs kind of lines are being verbally assaulted and made to look really terrible if not down right involved in the corruption. And a billion Indians are watching this unfold right before their eyes. Day before night and even yesterday more Indians were watching the Newshour on Times Now than we're watching the game between MI and RR.

No one needs to do much to paint Srinivasan in murky colours. His son in law and everything else has done that job very well. If his opponents take advantage of it we should not be surprised but this issue does not start with his opponents.

By the way, it is quite likely that a lot of people who may otherwise be Srinivasan's rivals are also linked, directly or indirectly with some of this rot. One hears names and stuff but it is neither fair nor prudent to state these. Nevertheless, if this is indeed the case, these people too want a lid on the scandal and they too feel, Srinivasan's going may mollify the public a bit. Banning the players who get caught for life immediately is another thing they will do. They just want to go out of the way now to be seen as people who are on the same side as the cricket fan. The big rush to bring out a new law, however half baked, ineffective and badly implemented in practice, is yet another diversionary tactic. They just want to be seen to taking action. Till yesterday afternoon, no one, including Srinivasan's rivals talked of asking him to go. It was only when it was known that Guru was located and returning to Mumbai and that India Cements was disowning his status in CSK if last five years that they realised that the case against him was strong enough for this to be a dead end, that they started changing their tunes.

It is also now known that the cops presented evidence before the court yesterday showing the extent of Guru's involvement which was damning enough for them to arrest him at the end of the interrogation late into the night. This fact too must have been known to all the powerful men involved in IPl and they must have stared making damage control strategies.

At the end of the day, politicians know only one religion and one ethnicity, the one of power and influence, and they will make any compromise and take any amount of U turns to stay in that area of power and influence.

The community , caste, religion and language cards are the ones they use to make monkeys out of you and me. It is our communal sensibilities that they exploit in this Maratha vs whoever game. It means nothing to them but they realise this is what they can use to fool the bumbling idiocy that makes the majority

scorpio1990

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I disagree with your view that this incident will lead to a better BCCI. Whatever changes that will occur will only be for dressing sake. And this will have support from every power group out there so no one will raise voice and bring up the real issues. You also know that every Political Party has a stake in BCCI whether it may be UPA or NDA (only the Left can be said to away from this mega feast). Already an 'iftar' party is being arranged for in Kolkata by Dalmiya which will be attended by every power group.So Diplomacy is in full swing. 'Sab ek hi thali ke chatte-batte hein'.

This strike was only against Srinivasan and he will be made to go.After that, everything will return to as usual as much as possible. You need a guy from outside these power groups to bring about a meaningful change.

As for Shashank Manohar , he is even a bigger thief than N. Srinivasan could ever be. Bloody scoundrels the whole lot of them.This 'Shashank Manohar' they are touting around was a big bookie facilitator who was gotten rid of to cleanse cricket in those days. Such a rotten place this bcci really is.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Dinesh Kalki. :lol:

Don't get why these people interview Bookies who brag about made up things.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree with your view that this incident will lead to a better BCCI. .
Did I say that ?

I do not think it will. I hope it does but I doubt it. There is no one who has the interest of the game at heart so nothing will happen. Of course the corrupt should go. Of course the match fixers should be punished and of course the bookies should be prosecuted since it is an illegal activity yet. But that is not going to lead to a better BCCI or a better deal for the fans. Unfortunately, as I said in my FB status (posted elsewhere here) everyone from media, to cops, to politicians to former cricketers turned journos have a vested interest and this rarely overlaps that of the ordinary fan's the media does but only for the time that they can milk a story then they move onto the next scandal.

The only people who have a stake in a better run game at the fans - you and me. It is for us to decide what we can do that will force those in power to act in our interests. But if we act like the young man at Eden gardens the other day, we deserve the mess that we get.

This boy was asked what he thought of the fixing and betting scandals that had hit IPL. He said he knows and realises that a large number of players are involved over and above those arrested and the games he is watching may have been fixed. But there is nothing he can do. But he has no intentions to. Stop watching since he stil enjoys the spectacle.

Well. What do you say. He is right in everything except one - that he can't do anything. He can by stopping to watch, switching off the TV, making it clear to everyone why he is doing it. The loss of support amongst the fans is the only thing that will hurt enough for a chance if a change. Till then they will take our support for granted and trust me any company that takes its customer's support for granted, no matter what, never gives them the best product.

You my dear have to think what you can do if not you will get the BCCI officials you deserve.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
How is this bigger than Asif/Amir?
How is this not 'MUCH bigger'? What did Amir and Asif do? Bowl a no-ball each? Thats all, whereas here the whole IPL seems to be corrupt. They have thus far only caught the small bookies. Who knows how many more are involved. I suspect that they'll try to brush everything under the carpet fairly soon unfortunately.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Coming out from Guru's interrogation room . . .

- He has been betting on IPL for at least last two years.
- the bets he placed were in the denominations of Rs five, ten and twenty lakhs. A lakh is 100,000.
- he placed bets on his own team as well as others. He lost Rs ten million this edition although he won most of the betshe placed on CSK !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bookie Mohd Yahya has named four more InternationAl cricketers. Police working on verifying this.

Guru used forged documents to buy number of mobile phones

Bookies from India, Pakistan and Dubai were frequently on video conferencing which was recorded to ensure no one backed out or claimed misunderstanding

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How is this not 'MUCH bigger'? What did Amir and Asif do? Bowl a no-ball each? Thats all, whereas here the whole IPL seems to be corrupt. They have thus far only caught the small bookies. Who knows how many more are involved. I suspect that they'll try to brush everything under the carpet fairly soon unfortunately.
IPL is T20. It is entertainment and it is domestic cricket. Corruption in an entertainment industry isn't anywhere close to as big a deal as the pinnacle of the sport. I don't watch it so I am not an expert but does - or did - anyone take it seriously?

bagapath

International Captain
IPL is T20. It is entertainment and it is domestic cricket. Corruption in an entertainment industry isn't anywhere close to as big a deal as the pinnacle of the sport. I don't watch it so I am not an expert but does - or did - anyone take it seriously?
Well... IPL is not a sporting event. It is a packaged television product. Like the majority in any other country, the majority in India are also, ahem, dumb. They will fall for anything given in the name of entertainment as long as it is not too intelligent. With loud commentary, stupid "side lights" and a general wave of "hey have you seen IPL?" sweeping across the land it is not too difficult for people to give two hours to watch something on tv and guzzle down beers in the evenings. It is something you want to talk about in office. And it is structured in a way to make sure one doesn't need to understand cricket to watch it. I find it idiotic and crass. I have never seen a single game because I hate the dumbed-down packaging and I find too many idiots talking about "cricket" when all they actually talk about are how shah rukh celebrated something or how Preity and Sheila reacted when they came across each other. No. It is not cricket. But yes. It is taken seriously by the majority here, because they don't know the difference between "big boss 6" and cricket match.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I still think there is a reason why Mumbai police have jumped in here from nowhere.. The public prosecutor (the government lawyer) has basically told the media that Guru is not guilty of anything.. And that there is no proof.. As I said, we need to wait and watch this one as it seems to be a lot more of Pawar Vs Srini than anything else... Now what the Delhi police have been doing, that seems to be a more real investigation into the whole fixing saga...

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I still think there is a reason why Mumbai police have jumped in here from nowhere.. The public prosecutor (the government lawyer) has basically told the media that Guru is not guilty of anything.. And that there is no proof.. As I said, we need to wait and watch this one as it seems to be a lot more of Pawar Vs Srini than anything else... Now what the Delhi police have been doing, that seems to be a more real investigation into the whole fixing saga...
Where ?

He has said there is no proof of his involvement in fixing. He has been arrested for heavy Betting and cheating etc..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. and if it is just betting then the arguments against Srini will break down.. As long as Guru gets punished, I don't think anyone else would be hit.. The main thing is hwo and why Mumbai police have been all over only a particular team and officials.. I just do not think there will be enough proven as it seems, from the outside, to be an agenda'd item than a real investigation.

bagapath

International Captain
yeah.. and if it is just betting then the arguments against Srini will break down.. As long as Guru gets punished, I don't think anyone else would be hit.. The main thing is hwo and why Mumbai police have been all over only a particular team and officials.. I just do not think there will be enough proven as it seems, from the outside, to be an agenda'd item than a real investigation.
no bharani, i dont think one can deal with a team owner's betting habit so lightly. there is no conspiracy here. remember! it is delhi police that started it all. also, a serving board member, the chairman himself in this case, being a franchise owner does not sound right. this is a good opportunity to fix those issues.