18 32.73%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Malcolm Marshall vs Glen McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Mate, that's a bit stiff.
    rigor mortis pun?

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Marshall was faster.

And although that sounds simplistic - it was used as the reason why people voted him above Hadlee in the Hadlee vs Marshall thread. People just said he could do everything Hadlee could do but 3 yards quicker.

Marshall could swing it both ways at high pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Statistically, better average (lowest average for anyone with over 300 wickets I think), much better strike rate. Also, Marshall ripped apart India numerous times on extremely flat pitches in a way most other fast bowlers can only dream of. Don't get me wrong, McGrath bowled superbly in India as well, but never tore through our lineup (superb stats but no five-fors) and rip us a new one like Marshall did several times.
    There's not much to separate them, to be honest but most people do consider Marshall superior... and the majority of CW considers him to be the best quick bowler ever.
    McGrath has about 200 wickets more though doesn't he? Surely the average differential becomes insignificant when you factor that in. In fact, statistically that'd probably lean towards McGrath a little more. McGrath also bowled in a more batting friendly era. The modern day batsmen are constantly denigrated for using wider bats and having to play with shorter boundaries and what not, but somehow that never seems to come up when discussing bowlers of the past (I'm talking in general terms btw, not a reference to you per se). Interesting. I've seen both and I'd have to give it to McGrath. Only a bee's dick in it though.

International Captain
    Bit of a mismatch here.

The bigger question is whether the absence of the second "n" in Glenn causes Prince the same amount of angst as the non-capitalisation of the "G".

Cricket Spectator
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Marshall could swing it both ways at high pace.
    + He had a great bouncer.

Even when you look at the numbers

Marshall - 22 five wkt hauls and 4 ten wkt hauls in 81 Tests
    McGrath - 29 five wkt and 3 ten wkt in 124 Tests

It's fair to say he had more impact. His SR was exceptional too. Probably the 3rd behind Steyn and Waqar in the all-time SR list.

Cricket Spectator
    Not a fan of comparing players from different eras. It's often meaningless because so many factors change significantly.

I voted for Marshall considering the skills he possessed.

How come Joel Garner doesn't come into the frame more often? I haven't seen enough of him to really know, but from what I've seen his bowling looked scary.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    How come Joel Garner doesn't come into the frame more often? I haven't seen enough of him to really know, but from what I've seen his bowling looked scary.
    I saw him the other day in a suit and tie and he looked scary then as well, but that doesn't make him a top male model.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Scary isn't enough. Otherwise Carl Rackemann would've been more successful.

Well we're not just talking about some tenuous aura here; his actual record is impeccable as well.

International Captain
    Garner is very highly rated, in fact overrated on here. A couple of years ago there was a poll between Garner and Lillee, and Lillee was only a couple of votes in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Garner is very highly rated, in fact overrated on here. A couple of years ago there was a poll between Garner and Lillee, and Lillee was only a couple of votes in front.
    Yeah, agreed. Garner is not as much of a strike bowlers as the Marshalls, Lillees and McGraths here, but he can be an ideal foil for a strike bowler.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Not enough five-fers. So big bird loses out in these comparisons.

Marshall, despite stiff competition from two or even three of - holding, garner, ambrose, walsh and bishop all the time and with croft, patterson, roberts thrown into the mix occasionally, still ended up with 22 five wicket hauls in 81 tests. Averaged under 25 against all teams. Got the big guns in the opposition out regularly. Had pace, swing, variation, aggression, stamina and style in tons. Prime candidate for the title of "Best pacer Ever". Just an inch ahead of even the best of the best like hadlee, mcgrath, imran, lillee, ambrose, trueman etc.

International Captain
    Interesting voting pattern here. There's a kyear2 and a kyear22, the latter of whom logs in only to vote in polls.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    lol

The anti me?
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information