Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmets in cricket

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    There was a lot of criticism of batting helmets when they came in, some of it, predictably, from old buffers like EW Swanton and EM Wellings who thought that being able to identify a batsman from a distance was more important than said batsman not wishing to have his skull fractured; also from former players who wanted everyone to know that they would never have worn one. Yeah, right, I remember thinking at the time. Sadiq Mohammad was the first to wear one in a Test in England, in 1978, but IIRC none of the England players did that summer (apart from Brearley's unique contraption), nor did the New Zealanders who came later. But when England came up against Hogg in Australia at the end of the year the whole team was kitted out pretty soon. Boycott I remember was one of the last to use one.

International Debutant
    Old buffers who faced the pointy end had no qualms however. I recall the excreable commentator Peter Meares interviewing Bill Ponsford and assuming his subject's views on helmets. Meares was an ingratiating suck and talk about laugh when Ponsford set him straight and yes, he would have worn a helmet if they were available at the time.

Its unfortunate, though understandable, that accusations of cowardice appended themselves to batsmen who draw away from fast bowling. Ironically it was real courage to stand against that attitude and pioneer the wearing of helmets. That and the subsequent insistence of the game's law makers to rule on their use in junior matches atleast, made the game safer and able to be played without unfair insinuations about your character.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 28-04-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Old buffers who faced the pointy end had no qualms however. I recall the excreable commentator Peter Meares interviewing Bill Ponsford and assuming his subject's views on helmets. Meares was an ingratiating suck and talk about laugh when Ponsford set him straight and yes, he would have worn a helmet if they were available at the time.

Its unfortunate, though understandable, that accusations of cowardice appended themselves to batsmen who draw away from fast bowling. Ironically it was real courage to stand against that attitude and pioneer the wearing of helmets. That and the subsequent insistence of the game's law makers to rule on their use in junior matches atleast, made the game safer and able to be played without unfair insinuations about your character.
    We have seen the same recently with keepers wearing helmets standing up. It makes sense to me but it certainly looked odd. Accusations of cowardice and lack of skill were thrown around but now it is normal.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    We have seen the same recently with keepers wearing helmets standing up. It makes sense to me but it certainly looked odd. Accusations of cowardice and lack of skill were thrown around but now it is normal.
    Adam Gilchrist actually wrote an ODI cricketing manual back in the late 90s. He justified using a helmet standing up by saying something along the lines of:

"Yes, you might feel a bit silly but a top edge into the front teeth will take far longer to forget."

You might play the hook and sweep thousands of times in one FC career, but it only takes one top edge to end up like this:

That was Mark Vermeulen after trying to pull the warp-speed Irfan Pathan, btw. The subsequent brain trauma caused a permanent state of psychosis which included him trying to burn down the Zimbabwean cricketing academy and publicly praising Robert Mugabe.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 29-04-2013 at 02:53 AM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

International Captain
    I don't have a problem with keepers wearing a helmet but I wouldn't allow a close fielder to wear one. If you don't feel safe don't stand so close.

in close is the place where you most want a helmet, moreso than batting even
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    in close is the place where you most want a helmet, moreso than batting even
    Of course it is, But it allows a fielder to stand much closer and intimidate the batsman more. An artificial advantage which I wouldn't allow.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Of course it is, But it allows a fielder to stand much closer and intimidate the batsman more. An artificial advantage which I wouldn't allow.
    Would you also forbid a short leg fielder a box and leg guards?

They have to pay health insurance premiums too, you know.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Would you also forbid a short leg fielder a box and leg guards?

They have to pay health insurance premiums too, you know.
    For protection in an established normal fielding position yes. If it enables them to stand closer than they normally would, no.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with keepers wearing a helmet but I wouldn't allow a close fielder to wear one. If you don't feel safe don't stand so close.
    The fielder has to go where his captain puts him doesn't he? He might not be happy about it, especially when the spinner bowls a long-hop or two.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    The fielder has to go where his captain puts him doesn't he? He might not be happy about it, especially when the spinner bowls a long-hop or two.
    Whoever is setting the field has nothing to do with it. The principal is the same.

Bowlers should wear helmets imo

Surely that is the same logic for keepers? They dont have to stand up to the spinners. You see at low levels of keepers standing 3 yards back when the spinner is bowling as they are not good enough or confident enough to stand up to the stumps to pressure the batsman.

well surely you couldn't allow the batsman protective equipment either?

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    well surely you couldn't allow the batsman protective equipment either?
    The batsman is just doing what he's always done. He's not gaining an advantage in the way the fielder is. You could argue the helmet has changed a batsman's approach to hooking or ducking but the advantages of that are debatable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information