• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If England bowl really well and knock over a pretty mediocre batting lineup cheaply, I don't think it really makes their batting here any less bad. Southee and Boult are quality bowlers and they've bowled really well but England have definitely batted poorly, and that fact won't wash away no matter what happens for the rest of the match.
The outfield hasn't helped though. Look at that full drive by Anderson pulling up well short of the rope. Can anyone think of a slower outfield at headquarters? On a normal Lord's match England would have got 300+ and nobody would really be moaning much.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Depends a lot on Rutherford I'd say, if he gets going the bowlers will drop their heads and Fulton/Williamson and play second fiddle and build a big score. Looks like batting won't be that difficult for the first 10 overs either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The outfield hasn't helped though. Look at that full drive by Anderson pulling up well short of the rope. Can anyone think of a slower outfield at headquarters? On a normal Lord's match England would have got 300+ and nobody would really be moaning much.
The outfield is slow but I don't think it's 70 runs out of 300 slow.

I don't expect New Zealand to score many runs but that doesn't mean England's batting wasn't poor.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm sticking with them for now. Mostly because the money I put on at 14s isn't worth hedging at that price.
I just reckon New Zealand are going to get rolled here tbh. The first couple of wickets at least, anyway. They're not going to be 4s again for quite a while if at all in this game.

Uppercut

The outfield is slow but I don't think it's 70 runs out of 300 slow.

I don't expect New Zealand to score many runs but that doesn't mean England's batting wasn't poor.
I do agree but I think we'll get a good idea of whether their go-slow was justified as a strategy or not. At least some of this Kiwi lineup will be trying to force the pace.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't jump to conclusions people!! Brownlie, McCullum and Watling all in decent nick with Taylor always a class act at number 4. I'd still back NZ to at least chase England down here.

Uppercut

I just reckon New Zealand are going to get rolled here tbh. The first couple of wickets at least, anyway. They're not going to be 4s again for quite a while if at all in this game.
Yeah it definitely looks that way at the moment.

Broad and Anderson are both clocking 85+ and getting good carry; could be that it wasn't the pitch that was slow. Although that said Lord's does have a funny habit of quickening on day two.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I do agree but I think we'll get a good idea of whether their go-slow was justified as a strategy or not. At least some of this Kiwi lineup will be trying to force the pace.
I didn't really mind the go-slow that much. I thought they let Wagner get away with a bit too much rubbish but Martin only ever looked a threat when batsmen were attacking him and, with a four man attack, waiting for the bowlers to tire when they were bowling as well as Southee and Boult seemed a sound strategy. They definitely could have put more pressure on Wagner at times though and in the end the problem I had with the batting was poor execution rather than lack of intent. They just didn't do what they set out to do very well at all.