• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has a poster on CW ever made you change your mind?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Been meaning to start thread on this topic for a while...

First, I want to distinguish the scenario where you were either staunchly for or staunchly against a player/team/tactic, and then that player's/team's/etc. performance have had you change your mind. I remember Zinzan contending that Flintoff was overrated in 2004/05 and the English strongly disagreeing with him, and then Zinzan making a thread after the 2005 Ashes saying that he was wrong and that Freddy is awesome etc.

Not picking on Zinzan by any stretch, I think it was admirable to make that thread and I think everyone has made a call on a player and a team before the event and got it wrong. Spikey and Hilfenhaus probably the greatest one of them all :ph34r: I was of a strong belief that Gambhir was a gun opener and that his poor technique against the short ball or on bouncy tracks was being exaggerated by many. I have completely changed my mind on that.

But that is NOT the kind of "changing of mind" I am talking about here. I am more interested in a debate or discussion, whether it be about how good a present player is, how good a young player is going to be, or how good a past great was, and your view was changed due to the strength of the opposing argument. Persuasive debate in the purest sense I guess. Not the actual view you held being proven wrong due to actual events changing your mind.

I think for me I have been convinced by people's arguments on this forum quite a bit, and have become less and less stubborn in my views as time goes on. Its probably happened plenty of times, but just off the top of my head here are a few notable examples I can think of:

1. Dennis Lillee - I think I used to rate him lower than what he should be rated. I still obviously thought he was an atg, but always said he was below some of the greats such as Marshall, McGrath etc. Then after reading some of the posts of the pro-Lillee clan here, and in particular some of the testaments they quoted from gun players of the Lillee era, I definitely changed my mind and decided that his lack of travelling to the subcontinent should not prevent him from being right up the top of the greatest bowlers of all time.

2. Recent discipline of Twatto, Mitch, Patto and Khawaja - When I first heard the news on the radio and via text message my instant reaction was that this is just lame-o and horrible management. Now I still do not believe they should have been suspended from a test match, but I think some of the posts by Spark and Benchy convinced me that a tough stance had to be taken. I became more "there is a middle ground to this" when at first I was pretty strongly opposed to the fact that not doing your homework or now answering a survey could result in any discipline at all.

3. Hussey and Samaraweera (aka Black Magic) - I was always a huge huge Mike Hussey fan (and still am for the most part) but I think it was PEWS (**** it may have been someone else correct me if I am wrong PEWS and apologies if I am) who said a little while back that it is curious that Samaraweera gets so much flak for being a flat track bully when he had a similar home/away record to Hussey. This led me to have a serious look at Hussey's record at the time, and it made me think that maybe I had Hussey a rung too high. I still think he was a very very good batsman, but I had Hussey as one of the best batsman around from 2005-2011. I think I rethought my position due to the new perspective given to me by someone pointing out Hussey's home/away differential, and also just the fact that he doesn't get pinged on this whereas other batsmen, such as Samaraweera, do.

Have you ever changed your cricketing opinion based on some post(s) by CWers?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
SJS opened my eyes to Lilly as being one of the greatest.

Also I think Fred and Mr Z have made me accept the Good Doctor as being better than how I have always rated him.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I always used to think that Hayden was better than Hussain...

There are lots of things that have definetly influenced how I think about players, certainly those from the past. A PEWS post on Grace's record really stands out as one of those.

George Headley is one that I had been persuaded to think was possibly the 2nd after Bradman but then have had my mind changed again to rank a little lower than that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well I always used to think that Hayden was better than Hussain...

There are lots of things that have definetly influenced how I think about players, certainly those from the past. A PEWS post on Grace's record really stands out as one of those.

George Headley is one that I had been persuaded to think was possibly the 2nd after Bradman but then have had my mind changed again to rank a little lower than that.
Haha I was going to make a Hussain/Hayden joke in my opening post.

Re: Headley, did CW both change your mind to rate him higher and then also rate him lower?

Pothas

Brilliant article by Fred about Stan McCabe once as well certainly changed my perceptions.

Pothas

Haha I was going to make a Hussain/Hayden joke in my opening post.

Re: Headley, did CW both change your mind to rate him higher and then also rate him lower?
Yeah it did, can't remember who it was really championing him but it coincided with me reading Beyond a Boundary which put him right up there for me. I was vaguely aware that he played against weaker England attacks but did not really know the extent until Fred and others pointed it out.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
There was this really compelling argument about Nick Knight being a better batsman than Adam Gilchrist once.

smash84

The Tiger King
It has happened on a few occasions here

Ikki convinced me that Sobers wasn't an all too flash bowler and and was over rated a fair bit for his bowling.

SJS convinced me on two things that Lillee is probably the greatest fast bowler of all time and that Gavaskar's handling of the West Indian quartet wasn't that great. He is yet to convince me on his POV on Dhoni :p

PEWS finally managed to convince me that Imran > Bradman as a cricketer and that Imran is the greatest cricketer ever to play the game :ph34r:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It has happened on a few occasions here

Ikki convinced me that Sobers wasn't an all too flash bowler and and was over rated a fair bit for his bowling.

SJS convinced me on two things that Lillee is probably the greatest fast bowler of all time and that Gavaskar's handling of the West Indian quartet wasn't that great. He is yet to convince me on his POV on Dhoni :p

PEWS finally managed to convince me that Imran > Bradman as a cricketer and that Imran is the greatest cricketer ever to play the game :ph34r:
I'd have to agree about Sobers and Gavaskar, two things i definitely changed my mind about.

Sobers no 1 has taught me many things. Bradman is extremely overrated, and there are multiple batsmen far more skilled than he ever was. Also that Kapil Dev was a far better all rounder than Miller.

Nobody has yet to change my mind about Sutcliffe :wub:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
SobersNo1 hs tght me a lot abt vwls bng mstly pntlss.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
CW on the whole emphasizing on how far greater Tests are compared to ODIs. But still I attach some importance to ODI matches too..so not completely influenced by the crowd, but a little, sure I am.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WW making me dislike WI when they are usually a side I quite like with all his inane ramblings about average players being amazing.

Red

CW on the whole emphasizing on how far greater Tests are compared to ODIs. But still I attach some importance to ODI matches too..so not completely influenced by the crowd, but a little, sure I am.

watson

Banned
Harold Larwood - into the Top 20 list of fast-bowlers due to some pretty comprehensive carpet bombing by Fred et al.

Red

Harold Larwood - into the Top 20 list of fast-bowlers due to some pretty comprehensive carpet bombing by Fred et al.
Probably this. Always thought Larwood was a bit overrated. But reading his biography, and hearing Fred's and others opinions on him have changed my mind. Was screwed over royally by English cricket hierarchy and he remained a gentleman (while technically being a professional) throughout everything. Quality man.

Larwood's FC stats are crazy good.