South Africa
    1. Jackie McGlew
    2. Graham Smith
    3. Keppler Wessels

Pakistan
    1. Shoaib Mohammad
    2. Saeed Anwar
    3. Inzamam-ul-Haq

Must admit, there are quite a few surprises. The pleasant surprise for me was Bob Simpson in the top 3 for Australia. Also glad that Brian Lara was a predictable No.1 for the West Indies because I rate him as the Second Best after Bradman.

And despite their glowing reputations Tendulkar, Kallis, and Viv Richards are outdone by the likes of Sidhu, McGlew, and Sarwan.
    Yup, nicely done. Sidhu, Sarwan and Shoaib Mohammad(?) the big surprises here. % of team runs scored in wins is a good metric. Shouldn't the proportion of games won be a factor too?
    Last edited by harsh.ag; 23-04-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Amongst current players, I'd rate Pietersen pretty highly.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Awta.

Can swing or take away a game in a session at home or away. Rate him very highly indeed.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Amongst current players, I'd rate Pietersen pretty highly.
    Yup, me too.
    He's already played more innings which have affected the result of a match, than most players do over their whole careers. Yeah, he can throw his wicket away sometimes, but he makes it up with those genius innings. To average almost 50 despite his aggressive approach is fantastic and he's proved his quality in almost all kinds of conditions everywhere. He's one of the best of this generation

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    I know everyone loves a crazy rambo type perfomance but the idea of there being "match winners" is really flawed and subjective, even moreso than most tags us ****s give players. There's good players, mediocre players, and **** players imo, the rest is down to whether we enjoy watching them or not.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    The match is set up in the first two sessions of the match in my opinion. A good start and you have the opposition chasing the game from then on.

Cook the best opener in the world at the moment so probably him.

Ponting, although not an opener, was phenomenal in the first of a series in particular so he would be up there. Hayden dominant also.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Steve Waugh was the man. He averaged almost double in wins than in draws and scored 25 of his 32 tons in wins (which accounted for just over 50% of his games.) Waugh one of the few not to pad stats in draws. I know this is heresy but I'd take Steve Waugh over Lara and Tendulkar for my side though both have probably surpassed him as greats.

Cullinan also underrated regarding winning innings
    Last edited by Goughy; 24-04-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Ashraful has been known to star in Bangladesh wins, that ODI against Aus comes to mind...
    Not consistent at all though.
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Steve Waugh was the man. He averaged almost double in wins than in draws and scored 25 of his 32 tons in wins (which accounted for just over 50% of his games.) Waugh one of the few not to pad stats in draws. I know this is heresy but I'd take Steve Waugh over Lara and Tendulkar for my side though both have probably surpassed him as greats.
    Tell Shane Warne this.

Banned
    Steve Waugh was the man. He averaged almost double in wins than in draws and scored 25 of his 32 tons in wins (which accounted for just over 50% of his games.)
    That's because Waugh had the best attack of the generation in his team. Lara and Tendulkar obviously didn't. If they'd had Warne and Mcgrath in the side, they probably would have had an ungodly number of hundreds in test victories

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    That's because Waugh had the best attack of the generation in his team. Lara and Tendulkar obviously didn't. If they'd had Warne and Mcgrath in the side, they probably would have had an ungodly number of hundreds in test victories
    Firstly, that doesn't make any sense regarding Waugh's low average in draws.

Sedondly, Lara played 80 tests with both Ambrose and Walsh in the side. If you have not heard of them then perhaps you should look them up. They were pretty good.
    Last edited by Goughy; 24-04-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Banned
    Firstly, that doesn't make any sense regarding Waugh's low average in draws.

Sedondly, Lara played 80 tests with both Ambrose and Walsh in the side. If you have not heard of them then perhaps you should look them up. They were pretty good.
    1) It seems that you're saying Waugh's low average in draws is somehow a good thing. You're effectively saying that when a great batsman feels the match is heading for a draw he should just say "Oh dammit, people will think I pad my average up if I do well here, so I'll just throw my wicket away"

2) Yeah, my bad... shouldn't have said "attack". I meant Waugh's Australia were arguably the greatest team ever, and had great bowlers AND batsmen who ensured Waugh's brilliant hundreds didn't go to waste. Without a doubt, there have been plenty of cases where either the bowling or batting has not been able to capitalize on Lara/tendulkar hundreds. Far fewer cases for Waugh. Not saying he isn't a match-winner, but he can't be called a bigger match-winner than others simply because he averaged more than them

International Captain
    There used to be someone who posted on here years ago who reckoned that batsman can't be match winners - only bowlers can.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Regardless of what the batsmen do, the bowlers have to take 20 wickets to win a match. So some merrit to that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information