• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Some really high scores so far this season. Seeing scores like 280 in 40 overs make you think 300 could be regularly crossed in the Champions Trophy.

FBU

International Debutant
What pace was he and Wood averaging? He definitely couldn't be the fifth bowler in an england odi or t20 attack at the moment. Too erratic but he is a wickettaker and has good skills (but not accuracy or consistency which are obviously extremely important). Could be the fourth seamer in a test team but his batting isn't there at the moment to warrant batting at 6 or 7 at the moment either. I get the impression at the moment there is loads of talent but that it is all a bit untidy and occasionally ugly.
Wood was averaging about 85/86 but can bowl at 90. He hasn't bowled enough overs yet to be even thinking of England. 139.4 overs with the red ball and 41.0 with the white ball. He needs to replace Thorp in the Durham first XI and spend a couple of seasons in county cricket.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Wood was averaging about 85/86 but can bowl at 90. He hasn't bowled enough overs yet to be even thinking of England. 139.4 overs with the red ball and 41.0 with the white ball. He needs to replace Thorp in the Durham first XI and spend a couple of seasons in county cricket.
thanks. the stuff written there was about stokes just in case there was any confusion. Obviously as you say Wood has to play some decent cricket for a prolonged period before he is even considered for lions cricket.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Or move to Slurry. There wickets and overs count double. Finish things off with a South African background.

stumpski

International Captain
:laugh: The bitterness would be funny if it weren't so sad. Or do I mean the other way round?

Didn't someone say Cook wouldn't be playing for Essex this week? He's in the side against Lancs. Mickleburgh in as well for his first first-team game of the season. And Stephen Parry gets a rare four-day outing - only his fourth f-c match, and his first since August 2009!

stumpski

International Captain
Cautious starts by both Essex and Yorkshire, who lost a wicket in their first over. At Old Trafford Kyle Hogg has just got Westley, to claim his 200th wicket. Well done to him, only taken 12 years. :dry:

Jarquis

Essex batting looks light.

Kirby in for COverton and Suppiah in for CK. Somerset have to fancy themselves for this one.

stumpski

International Captain
Only a couple of times, and quicker than Plunkett I'd suggest - who's had many more chances. Dernbach, good county bowler, but T20 is probably his limit as far as England is concerned. Meanwhile, the best one-day keeper-batsman in the country can't get in the side.

Still heavy going at Old Trafford but Cook's still there. Hopefully having played himself in he'll go on and get a decent score.

Scaly piscine

Only a couple of times, and quicker than Plunkett I'd suggest - who's had many more chances. Dernbach, good county bowler, but T20 is probably his limit as far as England is concerned. Meanwhile, the best one-day keeper-batsman in the country can't get in the side.

Still heavy going at Old Trafford but Cook's still there. Hopefully having played himself in he'll go on and get a decent score.
About as quick and accurate as Plunkett, without the prodigious swing and the batting ability.

Turdbach has no role in any format, he's just awful.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Or move to Slurry. There wickets and overs count double. Finish things off with a South African background.
Give Tremlett couldn't even get in the Surrey First XI first game of the season, you think Wood would play for England if he moved to Surrey? Would have to get on the park first.

stumpski

International Captain
Give Tremlett couldn't even get in the Surrey First XI first game of the season, you think Wood would play for England if he moved to Surrey? Would have to get on the park first.
Given that the first England team of the season isn't likely to include a single Surrey player, that whole "there are too many Surrey players in the England team" thing is a bit out of date, isn't it?

The rest of you, feel free to go on hating. 8-)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The only Surrey players who have played tests recently (last few years) that I can think of, and by all means inform me if I'm forgetting people, are Chris Tremlett and Kevin Pietersen. The former played tests while he was at Hampshire, and was England's best bowler when he got his second stint as a Surrey player. The latter had already been our best batsman in the last decade when he signed for Surrey. Meaker and Dernbach have played ODI's, probably undeservedly so given their List A records, but they're not that bad. There have been far worse representatives of England in recent times. It seems a big CW thing to just get one or two players to hate on and talk them up to be the worst thing for English cricket since Gavin Hamilton. I personally think Meaker was unlucky not to play in the test at Nagpur, since it was obvious Bresnan wasn't right at the time. And then there's the case of Steve Davies, who has to be one of the unluckiest England cricketers in recent times. Stuck behind a brilliant wicketkeeper batsman in the test side, and constantly shafted for poorer alternatives in the one day game.

Last edited: