• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

91Jmay

International Coach
Somerset basically 66/2. Need to keep them to under 240 which with Compton on 80* is a very difficult prospect.

91Jmay

International Coach
Still gets a mention from the braindead Sky lot.

Somerset now 6 down with the lead 119. One more before lunch and big chance of a Bears win.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still gets a mention from the braindead Sky lot.

Somerset now 6 down with the lead 119. One more before lunch and big chance of a Bears win.
Only because they don't watch county cricket so don't know who else is about. Would say Taylor then Ballance would be next in line for middle order positions with Compo or Carberry if we need an opener.

In Nick Knight's defence he does seem to know more about the county game than the test comms.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, I would agree with that. Would be interested to know how close Sam Robson is, although he has stopped scoring runs since the media chat about him started.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not really, because Tremlett is a Test-Standard bowler.
Well, the argument is that Woakes doesn't have the pace, but Tremlett has been operating at a slower pace so far this season, and taking his wickets at twice the rate in the same competition. The Oval pitch has also been the slowest of the series so far, so wouldn't have suited him at all.

Anyway, this is probably the first performance he's had this season that has justified being there or thereabouts for international selection, so kudos. As Cribb said, I reckon it's been a massive blessing.

Edit: Also reckon that's a pretty bullish statement given the lack of evidence for it. You've probably seen them each play one FC game since the 2011 season (fair?).

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, the argument is that Woakes doesn't have the pace, but Tremlett has been operating at a slower pace so far this season, and taking his wickets at twice the rate in the same competition. The Oval pitch has also been the slowest of the series so far, so wouldn't have suited him at all.

Anyway, this is probably the first performance he's had this season that has justified being there or thereabouts for international selection, so kudos. As Cribb said, I reckon it's been a massive blessing.
That's not the argument TBH. Plenty operate at Test level with Woakes pace, but they need to either move the ball a lot, be incredibly accurate, or get a lot of bounce. Woakes does none of this. He, at the moment, is just a typical British seamer. He takes wickets in County Championship cricket by just not being awful at anything, it happens again and again, with various average bowlers. I'd hoped England had moved away from this.

Tremlett can at least get the bounce, that can trouble Test players. I agree Tremmers isn't at his best, but that level is still considerably better than Woakes, IMHO.

Oh and Finn despite his faults is infinitely better.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
And I doubt Tremlett would've been extracting much movement on Wednesday. I haven't seen much of Woakes with a red ball, but he obviously can move it enough to take first division wickets at a cheap rate, something Tremlett has really struggled to do. It's a massive difference doing it in a county game at Durham than doing it in a test match at the Oval.

Anyway, the Woakes comparison doesn't really matter as it wasn't Woakes who played instead of Tremlett it was Kerrigan. In the end they probably made the wrong choice not picking Tremlett, but that doesn't really have anything to do with Woakes' performance. Feels a bit like the Samit v Panesar arguments that were happening in India last year.

91Jmay

International Coach
That's not the argument TBH. Plenty operate at Test level with Woakes pace, but they need to either move the ball a lot, be incredibly accurate, or get a lot of bounce. Woakes does none of this. He, at the moment, is just a typical British seamer. He takes wickets in County Championship cricket by just not being awful at anything, it happens again and again, with various average bowlers. I'd hoped England had moved away from this.

Tremlett can at least get the bounce, that can trouble Test players. I agree Tremmers isn't at his best, but that level is still considerably better than Woakes, IMHO.

Oh and Finn despite his faults is infinitely better.
You clearly haven't watched Woakes bowl much in FC cricket if you think he isn't accurate, and his speeds are about the same as Peter Siddle. He is 24, and in his first test and you are drawing conclusions. Woakesy isn't a huge swinger of the ball, but does get late inswing which is very hard to play. None of the bowlers have got much out of this pitch, but apparently Woakes isn't test match standard. Strange.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And I doubt Tremlett would've been extracting much movement on Wednesday. I haven't seen much of Woakes with a red ball, but he obviously can move it enough to take first division wickets at a cheap rate, something Tremlett has really struggled to do. It's a massive difference doing it in a county game at Durham than doing it in a test match at the Oval.
Why do you love him so much if you have not seen him much with the red ball? Can't be seeing him bowl in limited overs surley.