• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chuckers

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The really galling thing is that everyone who watches cricket semi-seriously & who doesn't have an axe to grind knows what a chuck looks like
Not for the first time Brumbers reduces the whole debate down to one simple sentence - the hand seldom deceives the eye on this one - if it looks like a chuck it almost certainly is - there are occasions when the technology is useful such as with Murali, who looks to me for all the world like a chucker, but I'm more than happy to accept he isn't, except with that doosra of course, which he undoubtedly chucks, as does everyone else who bowls the bloody thing

smash84

The Tiger King
Not for the first time Brumbers reduces the whole debate down to one simple sentence - the hand seldom deceives the eye on this one - if it looks like a chuck it almost certainly is - there are occasions when the technology is useful such as with Murali, who looks to me for all the world like a chucker, but I'm more than happy to accept he isn't, except with that doosra of course, which he undoubtedly chucks, as does everyone else who bowls the bloody thing
Did Saqlain also chuck the doosra? Sometimes I felt that he did but a lot of times it looked very clean.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Check everybody for flexion / extension in match conditions. The verbal diarrhea of so called conservarives wills top once they could see they can chuck with a clean action, since human eye is **** at picking up small extensions of a joint at high speed.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we have prrof on this?

OK, DRS and third umpire is not needed. Eye is correct.

L Trumper

State Regular
You are an excellent poster. But that is such a horrible conservative slant on whole thing and also not true.

fredfertang

You are an excellent poster. But that is such a horrible conservative slant on whole thing and also not true.
Not sure why you find the comment so annoying - I certainly accept that its a bit of a sweeping statement, but I don't think its particularly reactionary - to my mind technology is an excellent way of "acquitting" the innocent, and its a great shame it didn't exist when the careers of, for example, Harold Rhodes and Malcolm Scott, were blighted, but I genuinely don't believe it should have a place in judging the actions of bowlers who look ok to the naked eye

smash84

The Tiger King
Not sure why you find the comment so annoying - I certainly accept that its a bit of a sweeping statement, but I don't think its particularly reactionary - to my mind technology is an excellent way of "acquitting" the innocent, and its a great shame it didn't exist when the careers of, for example, Harold Rhodes and Malcolm Scott, were blighted, but I genuinely don't believe it should have a place in judging the actions of bowlers who look ok to the naked eye
So you agree with the BCCI stance on DRS?

L Trumper

State Regular
No, but I'd be very sceptical about any DRS type technology that purported to deal with the legality of bowlers' actions
But DRS is predicting what might happen, while checking legality technology actually measures the data available. If anything it'd be more precise than DRS predictive path. The naked eye argument is a bit like saying 'since it is snowing in march, I won't believe in global warming'.

fredfertang

But DRS is predicting what might happen, while checking legality technology actually measures the data available. If anything it'd be more precise than DRS predictive path. The naked eye argument is a bit like saying 'since it is snowing in march, I won't believe in global warming'.
But there is nothing out there that can do that particular job at the present time, is there?

L Trumper

State Regular
But there is nothing out there that can do that particular job at the present time, is there?
Not really. But the lab tests that are being done are as close as we can get for now. I am ok with preferring them over naked eye. Its not like everybody is getting away with chucking, most are being tested and sometimes get banned from bowling when it is deemed illegal based on scientific testing.

fredfertang

Not really. But the lab tests that are being done are as close as we can get for now. I am ok with preferring them over naked eye. Its not like everybody is getting away with chucking, most are being tested and sometimes get banned from bowling when it is deemed illegal based on scientific testing.
What I struggle with is that it seems to have become a free for all. Now we know that only Ramnaresh Sarwan can actually bowl properly, and therefore we have to have a degree of straightening allowed, it seems very easy to me for a bowler with a horrible looking action to tone it down a bit for the tests and carry on taking the piss in the middle - all I'm saying is that I'd rather anyone who looks like they throw is treated as such unless and until, like with Murali the first time round, its established that he isn't throwing

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, it is a law that people can twist to suit them, but then that is how it is going to go with any law or rule. I mean, there are a number of rules and laws in cricket today that are being twisted to their advantage by teams and even boards, for that matter. The question is, is it better than the earlier system and I think it is.

Son Of Coco

Two points here.

1) There's no solid evidence that they did. The whole "everyone chucks bar Sarwan" idea was seeded from that original study that was done at a Champions Trophy back in the day. None of the bowlers who supposedly exceeded the (then) tolerance thresholds were named in this (Google it to check), yet it's somehow became a truism that chaps with beuatiful, orthodox actions like McGrath and Pollock were amongst them.

& that's apart from the simple fact that it's impossible to measure elbow flexion during match situations with any meaningful degree of accuracy even now, much less a decade ago.

2) I refer you to my previous answer:

& McGrath's deliveries weren't one.
Yeah I agree.

The 'everybody chucks' conclusions that were reached 10 years ago were either a convenient way to muddy the waters by the ICC, or a complete misinterpretation by someone with no idea. Throwing actions like McGrath, Pollock, etc etc into the mix was a nice was to confuse the issue, but it didn't do anything to address the problem.

Bowlers are still reported on the basis of their action looking worse than another person's...and the marvellous technology that saw everyone's action questioned (albeit under the old thresholds) has since disappeared.

Chucking won't be seriously addressed in cricket until the ICC gets serious about addressing it. It's unfortunate that we've seen so many physical deformities hampering bowling actions in cricket at all levels the past 20 years too (Apart from cases like Murali, where it's true) It really is something that needs to be looked into. Maybe there's something in the water.

L Trumper

State Regular
What I struggle with is that it seems to have become a free for all. Now we know that only Ramnaresh Sarwan can actually bowl properly, and therefore we have to have a degree of straightening allowed, it seems very easy to me for a bowler with a horrible looking action to tone it down a bit for the tests and carry on taking the piss in the middle - all I'm saying is that I'd rather anyone who looks like they throw is treated as such unless and until, like with Murali the first time round, its established that he isn't throwing
I agree with that. But they already check whenever referee/umpire notify it to ICC. That is why likes of Botha, Shillingford are banned for a time. But I guess it is easier for players to wear full sleeves, than change their action :ph34r: .

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
To predict what happens, first ypu need data (extrapolation). If your data is ****, your prediction is **** too. If naked eye is better ad judging these data, why predict using technology?

L Trumper

State Regular
To predict what happens, first ypu need data (extrapolation). If your data is ****, your prediction is **** too. If naked eye is better ad judging these data, why predict using technology?
It is not. That is why I am all for use of technology.