• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best young batsman around right now?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
when you have guys like munro turning up to play for you in tests you're going to big up any decent prospect you have tbf.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Williamson isn't as good as most make him out to be tbh. Decent cricketer but I doubt he'll be near the top of this list a decade down the road.
when you have guys like munro turning up to play for you in tests you're going to big up any decent prospect you have tbf.
Shudup, Williamson is New Zealand's next great bowler. Hey I found a gif of Williamson delivering to Munro

Flem274*

123/5
What do people make of Asad Shafiq. Played a good knock against the best in the world on their own home turf.
On his first tour here I thought he had one of the best techniques in the Pakistan side and would be good player.

Many modern Pakistan batsmen are good on the attack, but Shafiq is one of the few who is also good defensively.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
You may have laughed at me before but I'm going to persist in saying Irfan Karim's the hottest batting prospect in associate cricket just now.

Howsie

International Captain
Williamson looks a much better player than his pathetic average of 30 suggests.
That would be because he is.

He's underperformed somewhat in his test career to date I'll admit that, inconsistancy has plagued him pretty badly. But some of the expectations people seem to have placed on him are just totally ridiculously, it's as though he should be averaging 45+ and because he isn't he's some sort of cricketing bust. Newsflash, test cricket is tough. It is especially tough when you're a young batsmen trying to make it in a team that is as bad as this New Zealand one as been over the past three or so years. He's also come into the New Zealand team where we've played a lot of test cricket recently (for us anyway) but very little of it at home, 21 test matches and he's played 1/3 them at home.

He might not have the record so far that a few other young batsmen have managed but his overall game is right up there, you only have to watch him for five minutes to see that.

Flem274*

123/5
Williamson's problem is he's a flawed young middle order batsman playing as a de facto opener.

He's not the best young batsman right now, Pujara is. cbf predicting which of this lot will be the best because I'll be wrong anyway.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Williamson's problem is he's a flawed young middle order batsman playing as a de facto opener.
This.

He's a busy middle order batsman whose main shots rely on the pitch having flattened out somewhat.

He's not suited to bat at 3, and especially not behind our openers.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
when you have guys like munro turning up to play for you in tests blah blah blah
Munro is a cricketing God! Certainly the best young batsman around right now (top class bowler as well).

But because NZ's selectors are blind and ******** (and play lawn bowls) they don't see his greatness and he will probably never get to play another Test match.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'm not sure how people can be so confident about Pujura when the lad hasn't even performed away from home yet!!.. at least Kohli has a ton in Aus, Darren Bravo two tons in India, Williamson a ton in India too etc, for all we know Pujura is just a home bully.

No doubt he's looked impressive thus far, but lets see what he can do when they go to SA later this year before he's hailed an "all time great".

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fmd, that must be the biggest straw man of all time. No one called him an all-time great.

tooextracool

International Coach
That would be because he is.

He's underperformed somewhat in his test career to date I'll admit that, inconsistancy has plagued him pretty badly. But some of the expectations people seem to have placed on him are just totally ridiculously, it's as though he should be averaging 45+ and because he isn't he's some sort of cricketing bust. Newsflash, test cricket is tough. It is especially tough when you're a young batsmen trying to make it in a team that is as bad as this New Zealand one as been over the past three or so years. He's also come into the New Zealand team where we've played a lot of test cricket recently (for us anyway) but very little of it at home, 21 test matches and he's played 1/3 them at home.

He might not have the record so far that a few other young batsmen have managed but his overall game is right up there, you only have to watch him for five minutes to see that.
Im very much on the same page as you - every time I've watched him bat hes looked very organized and his technique is unparalleled in the NZ side. I rate him very highly, and even though his average is perhaps unflattering hes played some very valuable knocks and considering that he is not yet 23 he has got plenty of time to set that record straight.

tooextracool

International Coach
The likeness with Brian Lara is only too apparent for Darren Bravo and quite a player to live upto, though the way he's started his Test career those comparisons won't go away soon. Did struggle in English conditions and like Williamson has done, another stint in county cricket should certainly help his game develop.
I think what people forget with Lara is that he never had a great technique, his was really a triumph of hand- eye coordination and balance over technique and its one of the reasons why Glenn McGrath worked him over time and time again. An extraneously high backlift along with feet that often got nowhere near the pitch of the ball meant that he was often susceptible to the ball going away from him. My own personal opinion with Bravo is that I just dont think he has the ability of Brian Lara to make up for the deficiencies in his technique though obviously considering that he is only 24 he could very well figure it out over the course of his career.

I havent seen enough of Pujara, at least not on helpful tracks to judge so I will reserve judgement on him for the time being. His record though shows an insatiable appetite and the fact that he has scored FC runs for India A across the world probably is a good sign. I'm also quietly fond of Murali Vijay's technique, though once again, it remains to be seen how he holds up away from home.

Last edited: