• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Where did I use the word "selfish"? I never said anything about the thought process... I was just echoing what Ravi Shastri and VVS Laxman said.. Do they not know what was going on in the dressing room too? :)

There is no point in arguing with someone with as big a blinker as you wear when it comes to Sachin, so that's the end of that.
Laxman himself said that he wanted to bat at 3 throughout his career so enjoyed his oppurtunities there. What else did Shastri say ? Or are you imagining something now ? Yes, Sachin likes to bat at 4 and has batted there for 5338537 years now, but it's not like he is going to refuse if the management tells him to move to 3. That's just ludicrous assumption making.

Also, batting up in the order is actually better most of the time at home.

And you accusing someone of having blinkers is a bit rich mate. I legit don't know as usual except trying to cash in on a opportunity to have a dig on a player you really dislike based on drawn up assumptions, what your problem exactly is ? You wanted Sachin at 3 with Rahane at 5 ? That would have been better strategy ? :wacko:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Is he going to be selfish and scratch around till 200 tests ? Or is he going to be a chicken trying to save his average and retire after this series scared of facing Steyn/Philander and company in SA alongwith a inexperienced batting lineup ? Please do tell, what's it gonna be.
HAHAHA win! It's always lose lose when it comes to Sachin isn't it?

I'm not even sure why you are bothering to reply to these guys though, people just want Sachin to bat at three just so he can prove he's a "team man" or whatever crap reason that's being put forward, nevermind that Rahane AND kohli are better bets @ 3, I don't even know why people are taking about Sachin when the real error (I guess it's hard to criticize now since it worked) was opening with Pujara when Rahane is an opener himself.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be interesting to see Bhuveneswar Kumar's approach as India look to extend their lead. I hope he doesn't go all out right away, then again the chances of Ishant and Ohja hanging around on this pitch are slim.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
HAHAHA win! It's always lose lose when it comes to Sachin isn't it?

I'm not even sure why you are bothering to reply to these guys though, people just want Sachin to bat at three just so he can prove he's a "team man" or whatever crap reason that's being put forward, nevermind that Rahane AND kohli are better bets @ 3, I don't even know why people are taking about Sachin when the real error (I guess it's hard to criticize now since it worked) was opening with Pujara when Rahane is an opener himself.
No.. I just want to see him batting at 3 when an opener is injured and everyone else is just moving one place up the order. If Rahane, Pujara AND Kohli are all better at 3, why doesn't Sachin bat at 5 and Kohli bat at 4 all the time? Or is it that all these guys are ONLY good at 3 or 5 and not at 4? :laugh:

There's clutching at straws and then there is this argument.....

Sachin is the second best batsman I have seen and in terms of pure stats and combining both ODIs and Tests, he is the best batsman of this generation. I have praised quite a lot of his skills and attitude when it comes to cricket. When I saw he is stupidly reluctant to change his batting spot, I am questioning ONE annoying thing about him as a cricketer. There are a hundred other things to like about him and I have praised him for that on a number of occassions on these boards. But jeez, say the one bleeding obvious mistake the guy does and out comes the knives.. 8-)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ha ha! On serious note, his point is about using pad instead of bat. Not leaving it all together.
I don't get it though. I hear a lot of people talk about how if it's 50/50 the benefit can be decided on whether or not they're playing a shot. But if they're not playing a shot, isn't that more of an indication that the ball is missing the stumps? And why an earth should whether they pad it away or miss a drive alter the aggressiveness in an umpires decision?

uvelocity

International Coach
I don't get it though. I hear a lot of people talk about how if it's 50/50 the benefit can be decided on whether or not they're playing a shot. But if they're not playing a shot, isn't that more of an indication that the ball is missing the stumps? And why an earth should whether they pad it away or miss a drive alter the aggressiveness in an umpires decision?
ask mitchell johnson

uvelocity

International Coach
hey armchair sports scientists;

Clarke offered no substantial explanation for his call to limit James Pattinson to two spells of three overs each on Australia's first bowling day of the series, despite the young fast bowler ripping out two early wickets and looking the team's most dangerous bowler by a distance at arguably its most pivotal point.

"It's just the way it goes, sometimes you bowl 15 overs straight or 21 overs straight like Nathan Lyon yesterday, sometimes you bowl short spells," Clarke said. "There was no real reason behind that."
Australia Cricket News: Michael Clarke smarting from 'kick up the backside' | ESPN Cricinfo

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Don't know what the fuss is about. I was surprised to see Pujara walk out to open. The natural, logical thing to do would have been Rahane opening in place of Dhawan, and retaining the rest of the order that has performed well this series.

Sachin looks good out in the middle but he's not scoring many runs. It's only a guess, but it looks to me like his concentration is shot more than his technique with advancing years. Does his token experience in foreign conditions at a crucial no. 4 slot then take precedence over blooding someone else who can possibly repay that leap of faith in years to come?

Back to Rahane, and this will seem odiously premature - does so even to me - but I couldn't help comparing him with Pujara on debut and how composed the latter looked in that chase against the same team three years ago. Rahane looked like he was ****ting himself, in the dressing room and once he got out to the middle. You generally expect players of potential to be somewhat "together" even in their nascency.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know what the fuss is about. I was surprised to see Pujara walk out to open. The natural, logical thing to do would have been Rahane opening in place of Dhawan, and retaining the rest of the order that has performed well this series.

Sachin looks good out in the middle but he's not scoring many runs. It's only a guess, but it looks to me like his concentration is shot more than his technique with advancing years. Does his token experience in foreign conditions at a crucial no. 4 slot then take precedence over blooding someone else who can possibly repay that leap of faith in years to come?

Back to Rahane, and this will seem odiously premature - does so even to me - but I couldn't help comparing him with Pujara on debut and how composed the latter looked in that chase against the same team three years ago. Rahane looked like he was ****ting himself, in the dressing room and once he got out to the middle. You generally expect players of potential to be somewhat "together" even in their nascency.
A bit unfair on Rahane, he came in when Australia were on top as the wickets started to tumble, also this pitch is a lot harder to bat on than the one Pujara made his debut on. Also Pujara's chase was his second innings (he got lbw'd on his first innings when a Mitchell Johnson delivery stayed low after Sachin and Vijay put on 300+). So Rahane might well score in the second dig =)

As far as whether Sachin should go to SA I'd personally say yes, Pujara, Dhawan, Vijay, Kohli and Rahane are all young players, I think we need to retain Sachin for his experience, I've also maintained that Sachin at this stage of his career would prefer fast bouncy decks over Indian turners, of course this doesn't guarantee Sachin will score big, but he should be more in his element IMO.