• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
TBH I think Steve Smith is actually a bit of an underrated bat.

He's had a shocker of an international career but his domestic stuff has been pretty high standard. Still have daoubts about whether he should be first in line for a batting spot though.

the big bambino

International Captain
True but the trouble is his wacky style gets found out at test level. So no matter how well he bats at fc level its hard to justify selection on that form when you know guys like Anderson will bowl hoops around him.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All thats gonna happen on this tour is patto and co will destroy us, and Lyon will be brought on for the tail to end up with 2/54 or summat. Then people will claim he bowled very well because he averaged 27 because stats.

Last edited:

Burgey

I'm not so sure. I can't recall any time in recent history where Australia's batting line up has been so uncertain.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Doherty's played two tests and bowled behind blokes who put no pressure on anyone. I don't think he's by any means exceptional but it's difficult to write him off as a hack after two games for mine.

Besides, there just aren't that many options.
"Hack" sounds pejorative, but I honestly don't think he has enough about him to trouble test batsmen. He's a decent ODI performer in the same way Yuvraj and Gayle are: accurate and won't get collared that often because they bowl flat straight breaks that're hard to get away. The D'oh man is better, but not by that much.

Tripping gaily through the gardens of Castle Bleedin' Obvious as I am, in tests batsmen can hang in for the inevitable bad ball because there isn't the imperative to score quickly.

I'll hold my hand up and say I've only seen D'oherty bowl twice in FC games (the tests you refer to), but I didn't see anything to suggest he'd ever be more than a journeyman. His lack of side spin means he's going to be a bowler who deals in subtle variations, but didn't seem prepared to use enough air back in 2010/11.

My inexpert opinion is he's loath to try other options because if he does he might lose what makes him a decent limited overs bowler.

I've been wrong before, but really would be looking elsewhere.

Actually I think they should convince Warney to come out of retirement

uvelocity

International Coach
so brumby doesnt have me on ignore either, that's good

refer my previous opine, there is a world of difference between dohers and a yuvraj/gayle - would take an indian/sri lankan deck to make it obvious and worthwhile

ajdude

International Coach
Can't have all this riff raff what what...Fellow can't enjoy a quiet snifter and puff away in his comfy slippers any more.

What what.
my head hurts from reading this

but nah I really don't care either way about newer members haha, the more the merrier I guess!

Daemon

CW has been harsher to new posters in recent times as a whole imo, especially if they first get noticed when posting an opinion that is contrary to the majority.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
"Hack" sounds pejorative, but I honestly don't think he has enough about him to trouble test batsmen. He's a decent ODI performer in the same way Yuvraj and Gayle are: accurate and won't get collared that often because they bowl flat straight breaks that're hard to get away. The D'oh man is better, but not by that much.

Tripping gaily through the gardens of Castle Bleedin' Obvious as I am, in tests batsmen can hang in for the inevitable bad ball because there isn't the imperative to score quickly.

I'll hold my hand up and say I've only seen D'oherty bowl twice in FC games (the tests you refer to), but I didn't see anything to suggest he'd ever be more than a journeyman. His lack of side spin means he's going to be a bowler who deals in subtle variations, but didn't seem prepared to use enough air back in 2010/11.

My inexpert opinion is he's loath to try other options because if he does he might lose what makes him a decent limited overs bowler.

I've been wrong before, but really would be looking elsewhere.

It's not that he doesn't bowl with any side spin, he just doesn't get the ball to catch on Australian wickets, so most balls just skid on, and then he has his slider which skids on really quick.

In India, he can get the ball to hold it's line a little more regularly, which could cause some problems. On the other side, his main method of "dismissing" a batsman is LBW with the ball skidding on, which won't happen as easily on Indian wickets.

the big bambino

International Captain
It's arrogant to post on here if you don't know all the in jokes. Just arrogance.
Well it'd probably be ignorance but understandable. Arrogance would be assuming everyone knowing the in jokes. :p

What gives me the cold shudders is the thought of Hussey the younger getting into the side to India. I thought the selectors were moving him off after dropping him from the odi team until I began hearing they might want him to tune up for the tests in the shield. Well I hope thats just gossip. Though good value as a hitter and handy spinner his technique unravels awfully at times. When he was caught behind of a Malinga outswinger walking towards mid on while the bat went the opposite way to mid off looked ugly. At 34, or whatever he is now, he's probably beyond learning new tricks.

Burgey

Look, in all honesty, my young bloke was batting in the nets this morning and his back foot trigger-moved to the leg side once, a la D Hussey. I chased him around the park with a stump til he got the message not to do it. How can blokes get to the top level with a technique like that? It's ****ing criminal.

Anyway, when is the touring party announced?