• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wonder who actually knew this was coming. i mean, surely hussey had a word with ponting before he retired but the pressure was on him

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
MASSIVE loss with the two Ashes series back to back. I'd have though the time to retire would have been after those two series.

Clarke and Hussey have been consistently consistent for us in the last few months, and have rarely failed this summer.

This worries me. I'm not sure there's anyone who can successfully replace him (in fact I'm sure there isn't anyone). Batting, fielding, leadership etc.

Ouch.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
MASSIVE loss with the two Ashes series back to back. I'd have though the time to retire would have been after those two series.

Clarke and Hussey have been consistently consistent for us in the last few months, and have rarely failed this summer.

This worries me. I'm not sure there's anyone who can successfully replace him (in fact I'm sure there isn't anyone). Batting, fielding, leadership etc.

Ouch.
Yeah true but..

Someone like Bailey really comes into contention IF he does something decent for Tassie to finish the Shield season.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Hussey knows he is useless away from home and would have been dropped after two big overseas tours.

Nah seriously it is good to see a player put his family ahead of cricket and the national team, for once.
Not sure if joking, but Hussey's record away from home is 2441 runs @ 41.37, which is hardly useless and much better than the other mid-30 average batsman currently in the team. In fact he averages 44.81 in India (also 92.60 in Sri lanka).which would have been very handy in the upcoming tour.

His English average sucks though (31.37) which has always surprised me given his significant experience and excellent results in county cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The ultimate probot batsman, and a loss that leaves the Australian top 6 looking very skinny indeed. Really hope he can bring up his 20th century in his farewell test.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure if joking, but Hussey's record away from home is 2441 runs @ 41.37, which is hardly useless and much better than the other mid-30 average batsman currently in the team. In fact he averages 44.81 in India (also 92.60 in Sri lanka).which would have been very handy in the upcoming tour.

His English average sucks though (31.37) which has always surprised me given his significant experience and excellent results in county cricket.
tbf the only time he batted in England he was in a massive rut.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Yeah if the selectors had picked him for the 2005 Ashes tour when he was in an unbelievable run of form at one-day level (think he was averaging over 100 after fifteen matches at that point), then his average in England might be somewhat better (and the Aussies might have won the series...)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a shock, but it is refreshing to see a great player (and he is/was that, just short of the pantheon perhaps, but a quality, quality performer) go out so palpably on his own terms instead of having to have the bat metaphorically prised out of his hand by dewey eyed selectors without the balls to do it.

Always leave them wanting more, as someone once said. Barnum, probz?

Kudos Michael; top player and, moreover, a top chap too.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
great player,

very poor timing though

he leaves australian batting in a very dire state with big series' ahead.

huge shock :-O

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
1 series doesn't tell you much about a player's ability in a country.

(reason- if he had played at some other time, he may have averaged a lot more, who knows. If he had converted just one of his starts, he may have ended up with a 50+ average there)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Alway hated that phrase. Ignores the team aspect of our sport and people who leave when they had plenty more to give often end up coming back or not being fully satisfied. That or they leave their team when they could have offered more.

Priorities should be the team and himself. Individual legacy a distant third. He said he wasn't looking forward to the Ashes and Indian tour like he normally would so pulled the pin. Not ideal timing for the team but perfectly understandable decision.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Whoa, didn't see this coming. What a player he has been, probably the Aussie wicket I have personally valued most from 06-07 onwards, even allowing for his 2009 flop, because when he gets in against us, my word. In an era where younger cricketers are generally behaving more like footballers and being typically less likeable, Hussey has been a true gent of the sport, comes across as such a top geezer.

All that being said, this is pretty good news from an English POV. Oz got some serious transitioning to do with the batting it seems.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In an era where younger cricketers are generally behaving more like footballers and being typically less likeable, Hussey has been a true gent of the sport, comes across as such a top geezer.
Yeah so true, really was a role model in the truest definition of the words.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Now, the ashes series in England will just be a formality really.

Can see Australia getting hammered.

It will all come down to the series in Aus.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Wow. I am shocked. It's a shame he didn't have the desire to help lead Aus through an Ashes tour, as his seniority and experience would be needed then more than ever. Still, I guess if you're not feeling it, you had better go. Interesting the comparison with Ponting. Some may say Hussey's was a more dignified exit. But there's also something admirable about Ponting's unceasing desire to represent Australia. Anyway, kudos to Hussey. A fine career.

L Trumper

State Regular
Will be huge loss for AUS.Now they have one genuinely great batsmen in the side and that's about it really.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a shock, but it is refreshing to see a great player (and he is/was that, just short of the pantheon perhaps, but a quality, quality performer) go out so palpably on his own terms instead of having to have the bat metaphorically prised out of his hand by dewey eyed selectors without the balls to do it.

Kudos Michael; top player and, moreover, a top chap too.
Says it all