• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar Retires From ODI Cricket

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
grew up watching Sachin bat, so many old memories; remember at one one time he and Anwar were going neck and neck in terms of centuries and we used to have these fun fights in school about who's better and all! Thanks for all the memories Sachin, always been a pleasure watching you bat.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is sad. Not his retirement. That had to happen one day and not too far in the future irrespective of any thing else. It is sad the way it has unfolded.

Its quite likely that someone, maybe as high as Pawar himself, may have had a quiet word with him so that he makes the announcement before the selectors meet. If so it must have been heart wrenching for the little fellow.

Ideally he should have announced his retirement the moment India won the world cup.If he had hit a hundred in that final, who knows he may have done it but I suspect the struggle to get that last three figure knock really tortured him and he was not prepared to go without a big bang. The fact that he had to finally play that tournament and get the hundred against Bangladesh had to rankle for he has studiously avoided playing much against our Eastern neighbours in the past skipping many opportunities to fatten his figures. This was not the place he wanted his cherished record to come at.

Why retire from ODI's ?

Since the world cup finals where he, once again took India right up to the last hurdle but faltered for a second time in the finals, Sachin has played 10 ODI and 30 Test innings averaging 31.5 and 31.7 respectively. One hundred and a fifty in ODI's and 7 fifties in Tests shows it has not been a great time in either. He could have retired from both if those figures were the criteria. He wont be god enough to play for India in either format unless he makes some sort of a come back in terms of form and performance in terms of runs.

Does age matter more in an ODI than in Tests. I am not so sure as far as batting goes and in fielding Sachin continues to be close to where he has been for all these years. One suspects the choice may, at least partly, have to do with what team India needs.

With Dravid and Laxman gone recently and Ganguly a bit earlier and with the youngsters (barring Pujara) struggling and the openers nowhere near their form of a couple of years back, India could do with a resurgent Sachin in Tests much more than in the ODI's or so conventional logic suggests.

However, the practical problem related to age and watching Sachin play of late suggests that his footwork is failing which generally means he is not picking up the line and length early enough. This, in his case, would almost invariably be linked to slowing reflexes and hence age. In the shorter format there is a degree of pre-determination in batting which makes up for the reflexes/footwork related issues. Sachin may find it difficult to come back in Test matches against stronger attacks on sporting wickets. He may need to put in much more work and, as I have suggested before, play more first class cricket to have a better chance. Of course, against relatively easier attacks and batting tracks he could still ratchet up the odd big score but then so could the next man who will benefit from it in the long run.

Its a tough call for the great man and lets hope he uses this to find the right time to leave the Test arena. One would not want to be denied the pleasure of knowing when and where that would be and being present to bid him a formal adieu as has happened in the case of ODI's.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulations to Sachin on a wonderful career for India. He was such a good ODI batsman; right up there with Viv when it comes to top-order players.

He always seemed to save his best for matches against Australia, or perhaps the fact that most countries' fans think that shows just how consistently good he was.

I hope his experience shines through in the Test arena and he finishes his career on a high. His value to India at the moment goes far beyond his runscoring.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
The 98 vs Pak in the world cup is pretty much the best odi knock ive ever seen... every single boundary he hit in that innings was orgasmic :wub:
Definitely the most memorable, for me. I was 12 at the time, and it's the knock that made me fall in love with the sport.

smash84

The Tiger King
that 98 was a crushing knock.

Wasim and Waqar on their last legs and Tendulkar there to send them on their way.

Really was a majestic knock and that 6 over 3rd man to shoaib akhtar in that same knock was just awesome. Probably the shot that I will always remember tendulkar for.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
An extraordinary ODI career, arguably the greatest of all. If he continues in Tests now, hopefully he finishes on a high.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm really surprised he didn't play the ODI's against Pakistan and England, to try and get the 50th ODI ton and find some form. Nonetheless, one of the greatest ODI cricketers of all time, if not the best.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Great player. Fondest memory is the first time he was sent up to open in ODIs in NZ, and he hit 80 odd off some 50 balls. A watershed in Indian cricket in every respect; he went from wunderkind to superman in that one knock,

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Well done Master and Good decision by the "God of cricket". Wish him success in his next steps and test cricket. My favourite moments- 98 against PAK 2003 WC, his first match aganst NZ when he opened and smashed 80 odd, twin tons in sharjah 97-98, 200 against SA and his CB tri-series performances in semi finals and finals againt australia last time. Here are some of the favourite quotes about Sachin...
----
"I want my son to become Sachin Tendulkar." -Brian Lara(WI)
"We did not lose to a team called India, we lost to a man called Sachin" -Mark Taylor(AUS)
"Nothing bad can happen to us if we were on a plane in India with Sachin Tendulkar on it."-Hashim Amla(SA)
"He can play that leg glance with a walking stick also.-Waqar Younis(PAK)
"There are two kind of batsman in the world. 1 Sachin Tendulkar and 2. all the others" .-Andy Flower(ZIM)
"I have seen God. He bats at no.4 for India in tests.-Matthew Hayden (AUS).
"I see myself when I see Sachin batting.- Don Bradman(AUS).
"Do your crime when Sachin is batting, because even God is busy watching his batting". -Australian Fan.
"I don't know about cricket but still I watch cricket to see Sachin play..Not because I love his play, it is because I want to know the reason why my country's production goes down by 5 percent when he's batting".- Barack Obama

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I was other day watching the interview of Margherita Missoni CEO of Missoni a family run Clothing empire out of Italy..One of the question asked to her was about the rumor the business empire closing down because of economic recession and her answer was, "if that happens a part of me would die"..and my reaction to Sachin's ODI retirement is the same and other part would die when he completely retires..I know it is an exaggeration (but is it? otherwise why we would be emotional Sachin fan boys :) )..**** he was the only world-beater we would brag about when i was growing up and to put it in context out of 1.2 billion population so the extreme reaction by the fans i suppose..So long Sachin Thanks for the memories..An yes the Greatest of all time and i don't care about style,statistics and some other variables but my heart saying it...:(:(..ok back to now being objective..

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at some ODI records, I was surprised to see that Kallis has "only" 17 ODI centuries! Thought he would be much higher.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think the most telling fact about how amazing a career he has had is that by 2003, which is a decade ago, He already was the highest run-scorer, had the most number of ODI centuries in the world by some distance and was in the top two batsmen to play the LO game ever.

After that he has played for ten more years and scored 6800 runs @ 46. ****ing hell.

The video of his 1998 sandstorm knock in Sharjah is something I've grown up on and for replaying that again, again and believe me, again - I will forgive Ten Sports for their unbelievably painful live cricket coverage which has caused me no end of grief.

I'll never forget a dialogue in the commentary by a characteristically - and some would say excessively - enthusiastic Tony Grieg in that game. "This kid's the closest thing to Bradman the game has ever seen".

That year he scored nearly 1900 runs with 9 centuries (Both still unbroken records) at 65.31. His greatest triumph in the game though, in his own words, is his team's, my team's World Cup victory in 2011 where he led the team from the front with 482 runs and missing out the golden bat he held in 2003 and 1996 by just 17 runs after 22 years in the game.

I really can't allow myself to call him the greatest ODI batsman ever but he's certainly had the most glorious career. Adieu.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The last act of a desperate man, hopelessly attempting to prolong a career which is well and truly on its last legs.

Onya Sachin.