• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Milne got scratched due to injury did he not?
EDIT: Apparently not.
Had some pain in his achilles ahead of the t20 series. Wasn't too serious, but it was decided that it was best not to risk a serious injury and to give him a few weeks break. Played for CD against Wellington on boxing day. Ryder took him apart (I think 53 off 3 overs).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fulton currently 21* vs SAfrican invitation XI and playing his way into the test side :sleep:

McCullum due to come in at 4

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I guess McCullum is about our only batsman I could actually imagine scoring a century this series (Williamson the only other) and batting at 4 would give him the best chance to do that.

Still a dumb idea though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Any thoughts from the SA posters on the quality of this invitation xi? Is it a decent side with a few future possibles, or a weak team?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Any thoughts from the SA posters on the quality of this invitation xi? Is it a decent side with a few future possibles, or a weak team?
It's pretty weak because none of the blokes playing franchise cricket this week were considered; it's essentially been picked out of 3-day amateur league. SeamUp reckons a few of them have some potential but there's no-one even close to playing for SA right now if that's what you're asking.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ah OK. It's not great that the warm up opposition is of a relatively weak standard, but it's still better than nothing I guess.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum has never shown the capability to bat at number 4.

If he's not opening he has to be keeping, simple as that.

Howsie

International Captain
Franklin. You have to be bloody kidding me. Here I was thinking we'd finally seen the last of him but no, he makes a reappearance a whole one test later. ****ing hell.

Edit: In the nine tests he's played since he came back into the team as a "batsmen" he averages 20 with the bat and 118 with the ball. If that's adding something to the team then **** me.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Is there a "Most utterly mediocre player to play a significant amount of tests thread"? I'm sure I've seen one. Franklin's sure to make an appearance in there soon.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was a decent option back when he was a bowler. These days though... Mind you, if it's good for the team, then let him open and keep wicket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He was a decent option back when he was a bowler.
Yes exactly. Franklin was a good Test cricketer before his injury when he was picked as an opening bowler. It's sad IMO that he'll probably be remembered more for being a massive failure as a batting allrounder post-injury.

Meridio

International Regular
Currently 259/5 and a very typical NZ scorecard - all of the top five got starts, but the top score is 65. Really needed at least one of those batsmen to go on and make a big century.

BeeGee

International Captain
Franklin. You have to be bloody kidding me. Here I was thinking we'd finally seen the last of him but no, he makes a reappearance a whole one test later. ****ing hell.

Edit: In the nine tests he's played since he came back into the team as a "batsmen" he averages 20 with the bat and 118 with the ball. If that's adding something to the team then **** me.
His ****ing non-existent bowling keeps saving him.
If I can put on my foil hat on for a second...

He's a member of the Hesson boys club. That is why he's in every squad. That is why he will play in every game of this tour.