• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well.... I want NZ to get destroyed by SA, but that's not necessarily because I want McCullum to fail, it's because I want the current anti-NZC feeling the public have to continue and to build. I'm still hoping that a bad enough performance in SA will cause NZC heads to roll.
Its funny you say that. I have spoken to a Kiwi mate who wants NZ to get absolutely owned vs. SA, and a neutral who is a major cricket fan who said this incident has turned him from being neutral in NZ vs. SA to hoping SA absolutely dominate.

Was curious whether there is similar sentiment on CW, both from Kiwi fans and neutrals who will be following the series.

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
Are any Kiwi fans actively wanting McCullum to fail? Either with bat or in general as captain.
Not me. I agree with what a couple others have said in that at least some part of me would enjoy seeing a disastrous tour in South Africa to cause NZC heads to roll.

Baz isn't the problem and I like him even though I hate this captaincy fiasco and think he's a poor choice as a test captain, but it's not him who I want to see fail because he didn't select himself for the test captaincy over Ross Taylor. He's a convenient scapegoat for others perhaps but I don't hold it against him.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Decent opinion piece on the saga in the Dominion Post today (not by Millmow). Pretty much one that I agree with wholeheartedly.
Mark Reason: Knives were out for Ross Taylor | Stuff.co.nz

He's a convenient scapegoat for others perhaps but I don't hold it against him.
From the above article:

"There has been much sympathy for McCullum since his appointment, but I am not sure why. It is hard to believe that Hesson had not discussed Taylor's captaincy with his old Otago mucker.

"Loyal" is such an important word in the New Zealand vocabulary that they wrote a song about it. McCullum could have refused the captaincy, saying that he was loyal to Taylor.

As could the next man and the next - "I am Spartacus," they could have said. Instead up went the cry, "I am Brutus".

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Are any Kiwi fans actively wanting McCullum to fail? Either with bat or in general as captain.
No. As far as I'm aware he hasn't done anything wrong. Moreover, he is taking the correct approach in trying to re-galvanise the team. He may make a better captain than Taylor - who knows?

Perhaps McCullum should've been picked as captain first off, then we wouldn't have this issue. The blame lies with Hesson, and perhaps more importantly the team manager Mike Sandle. Since Taylor was picked before Hesson came into the side, he should have a) supported Taylor in the media and the team, not say things like "it's a board decision that he's captain" b) given Taylor a longer stint to grow into the role, and actively help him with his deficiencies c) not told him he had no confidence in him as captain and then inexplicably offer him the test captaincy.

On reflection, I still want NZ to do well and I want the coach to learn from this and become better for it. We cannot keep chopping and changing. We have to accept what has happened and move on. Team Manager Mike Sandle should probably go though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Reason is awful. He just lumps a whole bunch of one-sided arguments onto his side of the fence, ignores the flip side and launches.

Suggesting Brendon could have turned it down in an act of loyalty is beyond ridiculous. If he's the next best, he has to take it otherwise we're further compromised. And as far as we're aware, he had no real influence in what has shaken down - no matter what Mark might want us to read into his and Hesson's relationship and saying it's hard to believe they didn't discuss it. Baseless drivel. Ross never suggested that was the case and didn't see to hold any grudges against Brendon.

Initially, I didn't continue reading past Moller 'losing' Justin Vaughan, the most inept chief executive in our history.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Reason is awful. He just lumps a whole bunch of one-sided arguments onto his side of the fence, ignores the flip side and launches.

Suggesting Brendon could have turned it down in an act of loyalty is beyond ridiculous. If he's the next best, he has to take it otherwise we're further compromised. And as far as we're aware, he had no real influence in what has shaken down - no matter what Mark might want us to read into his and Hesson's relationship and saying it's hard to believe they didn't discuss it. Baseless drivel. Ross never suggested that was the case and didn't see to hold any grudges against Brendon.

Initially, I didn't continue reading past Moller 'losing' Justin Vaughan, the most inept chief executive in our history.
Well, it is an opinion piece not fact so he has done just that and presented his opinion. But I can't deny the bit about losing Justin Vaughan was pretty funny.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Look it's all very well asking McCullum to be "loyal" or whatever by refusing the captaincy, but ultimately he made the decision that he felt would be best for NZ cricket. Standing up as a team against the coach would just leave them coachless on the SA tour and wouldn't achieve anything in the long run.

Sure he'll feel for Taylor, but if Hesson were sacked as the result of a player standup, it would be another coup. That's just going to mean there's more disharmony, more player power, and less actual accountability.

Howsie

International Captain
No. As far as I'm aware he hasn't done anything wrong. Moreover, he is taking the correct approach in trying to re-galvanise the team. He may make a better captain than Taylor - who knows?
Oh bull****. He's just as bad as anyone else. Even if we just pretend for a second that he had no idea about this, that him and his best mate Hesson never discussed it his silence last week told the only story we need to know. He cares so much about Ross Taylor huh? Where was his support last week? When every man and his dog knew Taylor was a goner and McCullum's name was being thrown about as his replacement. He could've easily come out and announced his unqualified support for Taylor, but he didn't, and I wonder why....

BeeGee

International Captain
Look it's all very well asking McCullum to be "loyal" or whatever by refusing the captaincy, but ultimately he made the decision that he felt would be best for NZ cricket. Standing up as a team against the coach would just leave them coachless on the SA tour and wouldn't achieve anything in the long run.

Sure he'll feel for Taylor, but if Hesson were sacked as the result of a player standup, it would be another coup. That's just going to mean there's more disharmony, more player power, and less actual accountability.
:laugh: Funny stuff.

Remember the time McCullum and Vettori lead the team against Moles and left them coachless on the next tour?

McCullum didn't make the decision that was best for NZ cricket, he made the decision that was best for McCullum.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, it is an opinion piece not fact so he has done just that and presented his opinion. But I can't deny the bit about losing Justin Vaughan was pretty funny.
Yeah that's true, at the end of the day he's a shock jock who says things for effect and hits on stuff's site. No interest in being unbiased and balanced, except for having chips on both shoulders.

And why should McCullum offer his unconditional support for Taylor if he felt he was the best candidate - and he clearly did, because he wanted it when it was offered the other way under Wright - and had nothing to do with this recent shafting? At the end of the day, there is merit to suggest a captaincy change is required. It's just been a horrendously poorly handled saga. If McCullum had nothing to do with that, and I believe he didn't, then he's done not a thing wrong. He's simply a guy who backs himself to do the best job and continues to want it.

But then again, tattoos/IPL/T20/blah blah and so on. Or whatever else the anti McCullum brigade want to point to.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: Funny stuff.

Remember the time McCullum and Vettori lead the team against Moles and left them coachless on the next tour?

McCullum didn't make the decision that was best for NZ cricket, he made the decision that was best for McCullum.
No..Moles was a terrible appointment. One made when Mott, Ford et all turned us down and we had nowhere else to look. An underqualified coach failed to adequately prepare and run the national side, so they voiced their concerns. No such issues with Wright - he was done in by Buchanan and I can assure you some players - senior ones as well - had issues with him.