• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Flametree

International 12th Man
It seems weird to me that if Taylor's relationship with his team-mates was so bad, how come we won two away tests in the past 12 months? And how come the bowling unit has generally performed really well while the batting has been woeful?

The captain can do sweet f.a about how the other batsmen bat other than suggest a strategy for coping with the wicket / opposition bowlers beforehand (which presumably would be in line with the coach's view) or read a riot act if he thinks the others aren't applying themselves (ditto).

But out on the field for long periods at a time, it would seem the ability to judge the bowling changes to maximum effect and talk with bowlers how to bowl to certain batsmen, whether to defend or attack etc.... these are all very much part and parcel of a captain's role. So it doesn't sit right with me that his relationship with the other players was that bad when the batting has been awful for a long time (the coach and selectors' job to fix, no?) while the bowlers have generally performed excellently under Taylor.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
has anyone tried sending a message to Ross on the blackcaps web site? I tried to use the feature but I think it has been disabled?

I found martin Crowe's cricinfo article to be stunning. Crowe has burned all bridges now with NZC in his support for Ross. Some leaders such as Crowe have stood up during this debacle - and I hope with all my heart that people like Guptil and Ryder come good on the international scene because they deserve to.

For reasons that I can't explain I was really bothered by this on Friday night and I lost sleep over it. Then I woke up and I found out people all over New Zealand were equally disturbed. As much as we mock Radio Sport one guy called in and said what I was thinking which was nice.

I listened to a song today that said the clouds can't cover the sun forever. If Ross recovers from this and I stress if - then if he tons up against England at home in front of the New Zealand public the crowd will go off and considering the circumstances it will be one of the most important innings since the Tangiwai disaster.

If he plays against England then I will be at the basin to support him. And I hope I see a piece of NZ cricketing history being made.

Kia Kaha Ross. Recover well.

Flem274*

123/5
His 140 and 70 will go down in NZ folklore imo. Everything surrounding that, from the off field crap to the 14/2 and 75/5 situations on the field make those two performances awesome.

Taylor with something to prove goes from being a good batsman to a world class batsman. Here's hoping he canes England.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he plays against England then I will be at the basin to support him. And I hope I see a piece of NZ cricketing history being made.

Kia Kaha Ross. Recover well.
Absolutely. I'll be at the T20 and ODI at Eden Park, and hopefully some of the Test. Hope we give him a hell of a welcome when he walks out to bat in those games.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A long Ross Taylor interview on the sporting breakfast this morning

Ross Taylor on the Breakfast Of Champions - LiveSPORT Radio Audio Archive Player - Audio - LiveSPORT

Interesting Taylor mentions he was throwing-up prior to NZ going out to field in one of the ODI's and hence was discussing with Hesson who should captain the side should he not make it out there. As Brendon McCullum was already injured in the game, Taylor suggested it should be Williamson, however Hesson felt Nathan McCullum would be the best option. Taylor then went on to say he made sure he made it out onto the field regardless. :happy:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mad Conspiracy Theory for BeeGee #25

Ross Taylor scores a first innings ton in Colombo and looks on track to score one in the 2nd.

Mike Hesson realises that double-tons would be the death knell for his nefarious schemes.

Southee, being in Camp McCusson is tasked to run out the captain as soon as possible after taking the crease.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A long Ross Taylor interview on the sporting breakfast this morning

Ross Taylor on the Breakfast Of Champions - LiveSPORT Radio Audio Archive Player - Audio - LiveSPORT

Interesting Taylor mentions he was throwing-up prior to NZ going out to field in one of the ODI's and hence was discussing with Hesson who should captain the side should he not make it out there. As Brendon McCullum was already injured in the game, Taylor suggested it should be Williamson, however Hesson felt Nathan McCullum would be the best option. Taylor then went on to say he made sure he made it out onto the field regardless. :happy:

What I found interesting was the point about the t20 lineup. It was ridiculous for Ross to come in at 6. Also ridiculous for McCullum not to open the batting. Turns out that that was a Hesson call because he wanted right and left hand combinations.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm starting to think that Ross should probably ease off the public interviews and talking about his relationship with Hesson (and how much the two disagreed). Like it or not, in the near term Taylor will almost certainly have to play under Hesson if he wants to be in the Blackcaps. For the purpose of that future relationship, it might be for the best if Taylor just keeps his head down for the next couple of months, and lays off the criticism of Hesson and the McCullums.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'm surprised to have heard as much from Ross as I have. It's likely to have come from his manager, a real 'make sure the public loves you and if anyone says anything, come out and make sure it's refuted' in response to White and Hesson being on the radio over the weekend.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm surprised to have heard as much from Ross as I have. It's likely to have come from his manager, a real 'make sure the public loves you and if anyone says anything, come out and make sure it's refuted' in response to White and Hesson being on the radio over the weekend.
Yeah, I would have thought one interview, get off your chest what you want to say, and leave it at that. Absence probably will actually help him in the PR battle; especially if the authorities keep stuffing up as they have been.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
From a purely cricketing POV. I am not a fan of what I assume captaincy under McCullum will be like.

After a few days I was getting used to the coup and ready to move on hopeful the players weren't burning their bridges. I read this article about McCullum which included some snippets about captaincy on the field, in the weekend and all my misgivings returned.

I actually think we were pretty close to a good team, which were going to mature over the next few years into one of NZs good eras. We've got a good crop of bowlers. What we needed IMO was better batting to give these guys runs to work with and rests between bowling innings. On the field as all these guys can move it above 135k - all we need are conventional fields and controlled bowling as a unit. And we needed a board and administration who value the balance of revenue as well as long term health of the sport, and schedule some (a) bloody warm up game(s) every tour/series.

But this worries me ....

Brendon McCullum Takes Over From Ross Taylor For... | Stuff.co.nz

As for captaincy style, McCullum says he doesn't have one after just 48 hours.

"Right now, I'm not going to sit here and say we're going to play this style of cricket. I haven't had a great deal of time to devise some strategies for this side. That will come.

"I've got some thoughts and principles I try to adhere to in all aspects of the game and I need to work out how they sit in the group. I've got a sneaky feeling the team possesses the skill set of players who can play instinctively, and with aggression as well, and hopefully that does marry up to the game-plan we want to play."

The captaincy would not affect his aggressive approach to batting

Christ, this is the last thing we need. All this kerfuffle in order to make things worse and not focus on the weaknesses that are letting us down. Back to despair for me .......

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Mad Conspiracy Theory for BeeGee #25

Ross Taylor scores a first innings ton in Colombo and looks on track to score one in the 2nd.

Mike Hesson realises that double-tons would be the death knell for his nefarious schemes.

Southee, being in Camp McCusson is tasked to run out the captain as soon as possible after taking the crease.
Your logic is impeccable.

I have spare foil hats, btw.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Decent opinion piece on the saga in the Dominion Post today (not by Millmow). Pretty much one that I agree with wholeheartedly.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
that **** Hesson was going to put Nathan McCullum as captain? :unsure:

****ing hell
Let me just get my foil hat on....

Is Hesson a long lost McCullum child? Maybe the illegitimate love child of Brendon's dad and a midget from a passing circus?

Apparently if you want to captain NZ under Hesson's reign your last name has to be McCullum.

Chris Moller and David White just held a press conference, during which neither seems to have resigned. Anyone hear it or have any more details? A snippet on the NZ Herald website says that NZC are "in possession of new information, but are not at liberty to disclose what that is..."

NZ Cricket apologise to Taylor - Sport - NZ Herald News

Mysterious...
This quote from Moller cracked me up...

"Despite the mistakes that have been made, and we all make mistakes, we are better people for it if we learn from those mistakes."
Perhaps he needs to read the article below.

It was kinda nice to have this thread off the first page and start to think about actual cricket again, however I thought this was a particularly good summary of the history of bad management in NZC.

New Zealand Cricket has got itself into a right... | Stuff.co.nz

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Are any Kiwi fans actively wanting McCullum to fail? Either with bat or in general as captain.

BeeGee

International Captain
Are any Kiwi fans actively wanting McCullum to fail? Either with bat or in general as captain.
Well.... I want NZ to get destroyed by SA, but that's not necessarily because I want McCullum to fail, it's because I want the current anti-NZC feeling the public have to continue and to build. I'm still hoping that a bad enough performance in SA will cause NZC heads to roll.

After the SA series I'll be back supporting NZ, no matter which McCullum is captain.