• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka in Australia 2012-13 : Thirimanne and Lakmal added to Sri Lanka Test squad | Cricket News | Australia v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

Thirimanne and Lakmal are the replacement for the last test. You would think neither would play as Pradeep and Paranavitana are next in line if Kulasekara and Prassana are injured.

Interesting that Perera is deemed not fit enough to play Test cricket as bowler.

You would hope we would have a better back up option then Lakmal, but he is in form with the ball. I guess the only other options were former U19 quick Ishan Jayaratne, Isuru Udana, Thilan Thushara or Tissara Perera. The later two are coming back from injuries and probably are fit enough for five day cricket. The first two are still raw. Personally I would have gone with Isuru Udana, at least he has shown some potential at International level and has been decent form. But the options are quite thin.

It is going to be a long decade of mediocrity at this rate...

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sri Lanka in Australia 2012-13 : Thirimanne and Lakmal added to Sri Lanka Test squad | Cricket News | Australia v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

Thirimanne and Lakmal are the replacement for the last test. You would think neither would play as Pradeep and Paranavitana are next in line if Kulasekara and Prassana are injured.

Interesting that Perera is deemed not fit enough to play Test cricket as bowler.

You would hope we would have a better back up option then Lakmal, but he is in form with the ball. I guess the only other options were former U19 quick Ishan Jayaratne, Isuru Udana, Thilan Thushara or Tissara Perera. The later two are coming back from injuries and probably are fit enough for five day cricket. The first two are still raw. Personally I would have gone with Isuru Udana, at least he has shown some potential at International level and has been decent form. But the options are quite thin.

It is going to be a long decade of mediocrity at this rate...
Just play Jeevan Mendis IMO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just play Jeevan Mendis IMO.
If the pitches in Australia spun, reckon we would have five spinners tbh. Only chance of us winning a real Test series in the next decade.

Before anyone says Sydney will turn. You have to get past the first three days to get turn in Sydney. It usually the last session of 4th day where you start to get consistent turn in Sydney.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If the pitches in Australia spun, reckon we would have five spinners tbh. Only chance of us winning a real Test series in the next decade.

Before anyone says Sydney will turn. You have to get past the first three days to get turn in Sydney. It usually the last session of 4th day where you start to get consistent turn in Sydney.
I know he's thought of more as a batsman in Sri Lanka but I still think Jeevan Mendis would probably offer more to the attack in Australian conditions than someone like Lakmal, especially given you can use Mathews as a third seamer. Would help the otherwise depleted batting down the order too. Get him in there. Love the guy.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
`

I know he's thought of more as a batsman in Sri Lanka but I still think Jeevan Mendis would probably offer more to the attack in Australian conditions than someone like Lakmal, especially given you can use Mathews as a third seamer. Would help the otherwise depleted batting down the order too. Get him in there. Love the guy.
He was at the start of his career when he batted at 3 regularly. But since he first got dropped from the Sri Lanka A, five years ago. He has been seen more as bowling all rounder. He hasn't batted in the top 4 for a while in Sri Lanka domestic cricket.

The structure of most domestic sides in Sri Lanka is that the top 4 are the guys pushing for national selection. Then the rest are bowling all rounders, keepers and bowlers. Apart from the likes of Chamara Silva, Angelo Perera, Sachithra Serasinghe, Kandamby and Kapugedera who don't like batting in the top order.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
South Africa in the Cronje first innings forfeit game stands out in the list, doesn't deserve to really be there at all.

Also, I had forgotten over time just how bad Australia were in the 3rd Test of the famous 1995 tour of the Caribbean. Massive turnaround in the fourth and final match, thanks to the Waugh twins.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Some hard luck for the lankans with injuries. Of course the karma bitch has come back biting Sanga. He was terrorizing Sri Lankan women about osteoporosis for Anlene, and this is the second time in one year that official mascot of Anlene has suffered a fracture. Ouch! that bitch bites very painfully.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'm guessing this will be the 11 at the SCG

1. Warner
2. Cowan
3. Hughes
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Wade
7. Maxwell
8. Johnson
9. Starc
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

I actually don't mind it as long as Khawaja gets Hussey's spot in India. There's good batting depth with Siddle at 10, however would prefer if Bird was in there (Selectors are in a corner here as "rested" Starc must return, Johnson was MoM and Siddle's the leading bowler this year)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree AT that we will end up seeing that team.

You know if there was ever a time to 'rest' Clarke this would be the perfect opportunity. It gives Khawaja AND Maxwell an opportunity against lets face it an easier opponent. Huss to captain! This is all assuming Clarke isn't 100% fit, if he is there is no question that he plays.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to see

Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Maxwell
Siddle
Starc
Lyon
Bird

Tail isn't as strong but I'm a lot more confident of that bowling attack.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would like to see:
1. Cowan 2. Warner 3. Hughes 4. Khawaja 5. Clarke 6. Hussey 7. Wade 8. Siddle 9. Starc 10. Lyon 11. Bird but I think AT's team is more likely.