• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Starc vs South Africa and Aus 'A' selection

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
No, the regulations are for 6 hours play in which 90 overs should be bowled. There is a half hour provision for time to complete the overs but if they're not completed by then the overs are lost forever. Since almost every day now lasts the 6 and a half hours and frequently the 90 are still not bowled even when spinners are used, please tell me how 4 quicks "can easily" manage to bowl the 90 overs in 6 hours?
Its just laziness. You can easily bowl 90 overs in six hours.

Spooony

Banned
4 day games is exactly the same laws except the total is 96 overs and 80 on last day instead of 90 and 75 like in test matches.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
4 day games is exactly the same laws except the total is 96 overs and 80 on last day instead of 90 and 75 like in test matches.
80 on the last day and 75 in Tests is to do with the law stating there must be 15 overs bowled in the last hour, irrespective of scheduled overs in a day (or that's my interpretation, at least).

The over rate should be 15 per hour. Playing 4 quicks has, since the Windies in the 1980s, dropped that level to around 12. Funnily enough, when you have 4 guys bowling of 30m runs, they don't get through 90 overs as fast as Joe Offie bowling off two steps.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Vale Joe Offie, the unsung hero of brighter cricket.

That said, slow over rates are the primary reason many people find cricket boring. Captains should be mercilessly hunted down and suspended if they fail to fit 90 overs in by 6pm.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Australian selectors aren't even trying anymore. Can't remember too many worse Australian 'A' sides than the one selected for South Africa.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Australian selectors aren't even trying anymore. Can't remember too many worse Australian 'A' sides than the one selected for South Africa.
Unless it is of course a plan not to give them a real game and try and hope they are undercooked for the first test. Who knows what goes on in the heads of selectors these days.

aussie tragic

International Captain
How's this for an Aussie 'B' side since they are likely not in the Test side but missed Aussie 'A' selection:

1. Cosgrove
2. Khawaja
3. Ferguson
4. Bailey
5. Burns
6. Christian
7. Haddin
8. O'Keefe (since Holland injured)
9. Cutting
10. Cummins
11. Hazlewood

Likely Test Side: Warner, Cowan, Watson, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Wade, Siddle, Pattinson, Hilfenhaus, Lyon/Starc

robelinda

What has Hazelwood done in 4 day cricket to be even remotely considered for test selection? When has he played three 4 day games in a row?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
To be fair, even Starc, as Noble One mentioned, hasn't been lighting up the world in FC cricket recently, and he's with a huge shout of playing the firs test.

Sadly, and I really hate saying this, but I reckon the selectors have to think about more than just FC when selecting players. T20 form is a factor.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How's this for an Aussie 'B' side since they are likely not in the Test side but missed Aussie 'A' selection:

1. Cosgrove
2. Khawaja
3. Ferguson
4. Bailey
5. Burns
6. Christian
7. Haddin
9. Cutting
10. Cummins
11. Hazlewood

Likely Test Side: Warner, Cowan, Watson, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Wade, Siddle, Pattinson, Hilfenhaus, Lyon/Starc
This B Team is better than the selected A team. Certainly has a better balance to it.

robelinda

No point selecting guys that are in bad form. Cutting has been woeful this season, so has Khawaja.

Justo

U19 Debutant

1. Cosgrove
2. Khawaja
3. Ferguson
4. Bailey
5. Burns
6. Christian
7. Haddin
9. Cutting
10. Cummins
11. Hazlewood

Personally I'd take out both Cummins and Hazlewood from this side. IMO both need to get some shield cricket under their belts before further higher honors. As good as Cummins was last year he has bowled some dross this year(albeit in 20-20 games). I'd replace them with any two of Bird, McDermott and Butterworth.

The only other concerns I would have are Khawaja opening(since he doesn't open atm), Ferguson at 3 and Haddin. If this side is based around building experience(which it should be) at a higher level then better someone else as keeper IMO(Nev, Hartley, Ludemen and even Triffit have all got something going for them TBH). As far as the rest of the order goes I'd bring in Klinger to open alongside Cosgrove, push Khawaja to 3 and drop one of Bailey or Ferguson depending on whether the selections are based on overall career stats or recent form. Captaincy may also be considered for Bailey.

1. Cosgrove
2. Klinger
3. Khawaja
4. Bailey/Ferguson
5. Burns
6. Christian
7. Nev/Hartley +
8. O'Keefe
9. Cutting
10. Butterworth/McDermott
11. Bird