• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian ATG Team- Open Voting

watson

Banned
The main thing that will help O'Reilly is the voting process. I expect Lindwall and Davidson will get more combined votes, but they'll probably be quite close and anyone wanting a second spinner will most likely include O'Reilly.

I've picked Miller, but I plan on including 3 quicks and Warne. Reckon a similar scenario will occur with Botham.
It would interesting if everyone follows your lead. Our ATG team would end up with a 4 pronged pace attack plus Warne. Not necessary a bad thing I guess. For example;

Lillee-Lindwall-Davidson-Miller-Warne

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It would interesting if everyone follows your lead. Our ATG team would end up with a 4 pronged pace attack plus Warne. Not necessary a bad thing I guess. For example;

Lillee-Lindwall-Davidson-Miller-Warne
I'll probably roll with a four pronged pace attack plus O'Reilly, itbt.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Gilchrist has the most votes, so we can move on to the bowlers...

1. Arthur Morris
2. Victor Trumper
3. Don Bradman
4. Greg Chappell
5. Keith Miller
6. Allan Border
7. Adam Gilchrist

Select a combination of four bowlers from the following (or others you may wish to add)...

Fred Spofforth
CTB Turner
Glenn McGrath
Dennis Lillee
Ray Lindwall
Jeff Thompson
Jason Gillespie
Jack Gregory
Allan Davidson
Bill Johnstone

Hugh Trumble
Shane Warne
Richie Benaud
Arthur Mailey
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmett

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm really torn over who I want my fourth bowler to be. Pretty much settled on Davidson/McGrath/O'Reilly and I think I rate Lindwall the next best of the lot, but Miller obviously opens the door to pick another spinner and give better balance to the attack and Lillee probably gives that attack better balance than Lindwall too, being a more aggressive strike bowler. Then there's Turner who was in the same league and would also add to the lower order batting (despite lower FC and Test averages I think he was a better batsman than Lindwall once you era-adjust).

I think Lillee and Warne will both end up in this team anyway as they're more favoured by people who aren't me, so I might just hold off a bit and perhaps tactically vote later when I get a better sense of what the attack is going to look like.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I thought there was enough of us wanting Border and Miller to switch spots?

Anyway:

8 Davidson
9 Warne
10 Lillee
11 McGrath

Red

Reposting to the new page...

Gilchrist has the most votes, so we can move on to the bowlers...

1. Arthur Morris
2. Victor Trumper
3. Don Bradman
4. Greg Chappell
5. Keith Miller/Allan Border
6. Allan Border/Keith Miller
7. Adam Gilchrist

Select a combination of four bowlers from the following (or others you may wish to add)...

Fred Spofforth
CTB Turner
Glenn McGrath
Dennis Lillee
Ray Lindwall
Jeff Thompson
Jason Gillespie
Jack Gregory
Allan Davidson
Bill Johnstone

Hugh Trumble
Shane Warne
Richie Benaud
Arthur Mailey
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmett
Happy with Miller/Border in any order...

watson

Banned
If;

1. Miller is in the team
2. O'Reilly was the best + greatest Australian bowler prior to WWII and therefore should not be exluded
3. Warne was best spin bowler of the modern era and therefore should not be excluded

Then;

08. Lindwall
09. Warne
10. Lillee
11. O'Reilly

It would be nice to have a left-armer in the attack but each of the selected bowlers are all very different in style and therefore the attack has enough variation without Davidson.

Bob Simpson nominated his ATG team in 2000. It was published in the SMH and coincided with the 'Team of the Century' nomination. His attack isn't bad and is worth consideration. From memory, and we are going back 12 years here;

01. Simpson
02. Lawry
03. Bradman
04. G. Chappell
05. S. Waugh?
06. Border
07. Healy
08. Davidson
09. Warne
10. Lillee
11. Thomson

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Warne
Lillee
O'reilly
McGrath

Good enough to lead an all time world xi attack anytime anywhere against anyone. All four ATG top 10 bowlers.

Last edited:

Red

Seems the bowlers are going to be less straight forward than the rest...

Might actually have to count. :unsure:

JBMAC

State Captain
Yeah I'll never understand how Morris got a spot ahead of Hayden. People somehow dont like the most dashing and attacking Aussie opener.

My opinions are always biased towards the players who played in our era ( 1980+ ) but thats cause I myself witnessed them playing against the top bowling attacks and bowling against the finest batters across the globe.
Well to stand by your reasoning I witnessed likewise for a lot more years than you have.I am not denigrating your opinion,however, my first Test was in 1946 so maybe I have seen the "Morris"es play better than you maybe giving them credit for

lol gramps gonna give it to you for that boy
:):):):):):

I sometimes get the impression that the reputations of Don Tallon, Arthur Morris, and Clarrie Grimmett have been inflated by Don Bradman's opinion.

What is truth and what is 'propaganda' I'm not sure.
All you need to know if necessary, is in contemporary reports of thr time
Why? Because he rates a player that debuted after 1930?

I think it's a call which is pretty close to spot on given the impact Gilchrist has had on the game.
:p:p:p:p:p