• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Xuhaib

International Coach
As for Sharma, the guy has ticker, sure, but he has to be one of the stupider bowlers I've seen. It's not a Mitchell Johnson-style "doesn't know where the ball will go once it leaves the hand", it's more a "doesn't know what he's actually trying to achieve once the ball leaves the hand". Just seems to have no understanding of the subtleties of bowling, just runs up and lets it go.
haha...yeah even more strange then Sami atleast with Sami you know he has issues with radar unless he sorts his accuracy out he may never do anything, Ishant accuracy is pretty alright but yet still the results are never to be seen

shankar

International Debutant
As for Sharma, the guy has ticker, sure, but he has to be one of the stupider bowlers I've seen. It's not a Mitchell Johnson-style "doesn't know where the ball will go once it leaves the hand", it's more a "doesn't know what he's actually trying to achieve once the ball leaves the hand". Just seems to have no understanding of the subtleties of bowling, just runs up and lets it go.
That's more applicable to the likes of Sreesanth who would swing the ball and yet waste it. But if you can't get any movement at all and can just get it across 22 yards at some pace, what can you do?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In all fairness to Sharma he is only playing because Yadav's broken and Harbhajan is gone.

Has the equipment (and the heart, IMHO) but needs to be honed.

Will never happen now with the IPL $$$s, but I think a season of CC would be the making of him.

Xuhaib

International Coach
:huh:
Ishant Sharma

[ ] Does something with the ball
[x] Still bowls short pies
OK hero I will take your predictions for these blokes and will hold you for it somewhere down the line.

Umer Akmal
Pat Cummins
Faf Du Plesis
Usman Khwaja
Umesh Yadav

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf, I don't think Sharma bowled terribly this test. He just doesn't get enough movement in the air or off the seam to cause problems against a decent top order on a flat pitch.

Last edited:

sli

Cricket Spectator
yeah you never see Indian bowlers learn there trade in county cricket these days, it improve zaheer khan a lot

smash84

The Tiger King
haha...yeah even more strange then Sami atleast with Sami you know he has issues with radar unless he sorts his accuracy out he may never do anything, Ishant accuracy is pretty alright but yet still the results are never to be seen
haha.....whenever Ishant Sharma is mentioned it does bring into mind the curous case of Sami. Who's career might finally be over

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tbf, I don't think Sharma bowled terribly this test. He just doesn't get enough movement in the air or of the seam to cause problems against a decent top order on a flat pitch.
Yes, quite. Which puts him in the "doesn't have enough skill as a bowler" group rather than the "frustrating under-achieving genius" group for mine. This isn't about me trying to say I was right all along or **** on other people's opinions from four years ago; this is about people still to this day over-rating the bloke and it getting annoying now. I don't care what y'all thought of him four years ago; it's plain to see now that he was just never that good IMO.

Even during his best period as a bowler which centurymaker linked to, he never actually took a five wicket haul; he was just a useful contributor to a decent attack. That's all he was ever going to be; his natural length is a foot too short to trouble good players and he doesn't move the ball enough to bowl fuller without it being rubbish. I'm sure everyone telling him how he was meant to be a gun strike bowler didn't help, tbh, but he was never going to be world class regardless.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yes, quite. Which puts him in the "doesn't have enough skill as a bowler" group rather than the "frustrating under-achieving genius" group for mine. This isn't about me trying to say I was right all along or **** on other people's opinions from four years ago; this is about people still to this day over-rating the bloke and it getting annoying now. I don't care what y'all thought of him four years ago; it's plain to see now that he was just never that good IMO.

Even during his best period as a bowler which centurymaker linked to, he never actually took a five wicket haul; he was just a useful contributor to a decent attack. That's all he was ever going to be; his natural length is a foot too short to trouble good players and he doesn't move the ball enough to bowl fuller without it being rubbish. I'm sure everyone telling him how he was meant to be a gun strike bowler didn't help, tbh, but he was never going to be world class regardless.
With due respect to your foresight, I think most Indian fans refer solely to the Perth Test and the ODI series after the Tests when they talk about Ishant's potential. His seam used to be fairly upright then, his pace was obviously right up there in the mid 140s, and his action seemed less scatterbrained than it is today. It's not about 5 wicket hauls, it's how he worked over Ponting (intentionally or otherwise) that had the lot of us looking forward with anticipation.

smash84

The Tiger King
:@ Never you take that back:@
You are surely not a Pakistan cricket fan.

Which other frontline bowler has an average of 50?

Edit: tbf to him, after watching him bowl over the length of his career (bowling 150 km/h half volleys and wide half trackers) I am somewhat surprised that he still averages only 50.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But as Teja said, even in that Perth test he only got figures of 3-115. Hardly world beating.
Yeah; the ability to make good batsmen look uncomfortable without getting them out is probably just about the most over-rated skill in cricket. He was just another young bowler with decent pace who bowled short of a length with occasional but inconsistent seam movement, nothing in the air and questionable accuracy as a whole. People over-rate those type of cricketers something chronic in my experience.

He did have the ability to be a decent support bowler who kept the pressure on, so I won't say he hasn't under-achieved at all by not even amounting to a Test standard player, but the over-inflated expectations of him have probably hurt him as much as the supposedly broken Indian system. He was never going to be a gun IMO.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yup. Would be a decent third seamer to have if he was told to perform like one.

Satyanash89

Banned
Think this would be a good XI for India:

Gambhir
Sehwag
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Jadeja ( Is on a ridiculous run of form in domestic... if he doesnt get picked soon itll be a waste. Plus a second allrounder would be gun)
Ashwin
Saha
Yadav
Ojha
Second seamer: aaron? I dunno is there any decent seamer coming through the ranks? This spot looks dire now that zaheer looks like he's done