• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Ruckus

International Captain
His 2nd innings average is about 25 that is why Pews is giggling.
Who cares. Stats schmats. As I understand it, the English bowlers were very average first innings, except for Swann, but Sehwag is an excellent player of spin anyway. So other than his fourth innings record on paper I don't see why he wouldn't be fully capable of replicating his first innings performance if need be. It's still a good wicket for batting right?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Failing to see the humour in it.
One of these days he's going to make me look like an idiot and actually do it, but he's none from 100 or so so far.

Sehwag doesn't score runs in the second innings. I haven't checked the stats properly in a while but he hasn't been scoring any runs in any innings lately (bar this match) so I doubt they'd have improved - he averages about 30 in the second team innings and even less than that in the fourth match innings. He's played so many Tests that you can't call it a coincidence. The threat of Sehwag making a fast hundred in the second innings to give more time to win - something often repeated along with comments about he's "the key" and "the big wicket" - is a complete myth. He has one second innings ton in his career, and it was made in a situation where an Indian win was completely off the table already, and at a strike rate of only 60 odd.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Its used against him a lot. Surprised this is the first you've heard of Murali's bad record in India.
You seriously reckon I religiously read those Murali versus Warne wanker fests?

I'm disappointed you think so little of me. Disappointed and hurt, tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You seriously reckon I religiously read those Murali versus Warne wanker fests?

I'm disappointed you think so little of me. Disappointed and hurt, tbh.
You haven't had the opportunity yet? I'll PM you some links to the best of :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What's his second innings record in India?
35 innings
0 hundreds
9 fifties
Average 31

The threat of him hitting 50 (60) or something is real. But the idea that Sehwag is going to hit a run a ball century in the second innings just isn't backed up in reality. Of course it's a slim chance - there's a first time for everything - but it shouldn't be at the forefront of anyone's mind as a major concern or a key potential event. The last player I'm worried about in the second innings as a fielding captain is Sehwag.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
One of these days he's going to make me look like an idiot and actually do it, but he's none from 100 or so so far.

Sehwag doesn't score runs in the second innings. I haven't checked the stats properly in a while but he hasn't been scoring any runs in any innings lately (bar this match) so I doubt they'd have improved - he averages about 30 in the second team innings and even less than that in the fourth match innings. He's played so many Tests that you can't call it a coincidence. The threat of Sehwag making a fast hundred in the second innings to give more time to win - something often repeated along with comments about he's "the key" and "the big wicket" - is a complete myth. He has one second innings ton in his career, and it was made in a situation where an Indian win was completely off the table already, and at a strike rate of only 60 odd.
He doesn't need to score a hundred to be a threat in the last innings tbf and don't think Ruckus was expecting him too either.

But say in a chase of 200 odd off 45/50 overs on the last day, a quick 50 from him could make it much more manageable.

And if say it is a longer chase, even then like the 400 chase last time a quick 60/70 from him, builds momentum. Not probably needed in this match anyways, however.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cliche as it is, I think Prior is a better player playing his own game.

That last over when he was playing for tea shows that when he starts to think about defence he loses his fluency. When he shouldered arms the ball very nearly (if not very actually) hit his gloves and could've easily carried to bat/pad.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lips are stuck together, mouth is dryer than the Sahara and brain is wobbling around my skull. But Ali Cook makes it all better

The rest of them can **** off mind

biased indian

International Coach
only couple of times we where needed to chase score above 250 i think..in all oher scenarios a qucik fire 50-80 odd would also be enough..

Dissector

International Debutant
Haha Nate Silver is a demi-god. Was a big baseball stats guy too. Someone needs to make a cricketing version of Moneyball.

Ruckus

International Captain

Hmm yeah well unless there's a really good reason someone can identify for that, I'm not sure any of it is that important. There's a fair few statistical anomalies in cricket. And even if there is a reason, it shouldn't matter much from England's pov anyway - because, aside from what his record says, it's definitely still in him to chase down some quick runs in this match. And all you need is a 'fear' of it potential occurring to dictate what your approach is. It's like if you were out there batting for a draw, would you want to try and save the match (or, maybe even win it) by gaining a significant lead, but in doing so risk being bowled out earlier with Sehwag ready to attempt the chase? Or would you be more inclined to take a much more measured approach, and essentially bat as long as possible without paying too much attention to the lead?

Dissector

International Debutant
Why must we continue to build partnerships that start nurturing shoots of hope that something incredible might come to pass? Am I going to have to get up at 4am again tomorrow?
I have been waiting for an England fan to say it's the hope that kills you. Close enough.:laugh:

Have to admit I am getting a bit irrationally worried that this game may go deep into day 5 with England even getting a sniff of victory.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Could spin it on glass, tbf.

Without wanting to go over the same bollock-crushing CW tropes, I find it interesting that Warne's less than stellar Indian record is sometimes used as a stick to beat him with when Murali's is pretty ordinary too.

I'd always assumed his record in India must've been on a par with the rest of his career.
Yeah, I'd always assumed likewise. In fact I kinda rated Murali higher than Warne based on a thought that Murali had a good record in India :oops:
Muralitharan still the better bowler against India overall. It was obvious to anyone watching them bowl against India. The sample probably not large enough and skewed by the fact that he played very little in India during his Godly 11 year peak (1998 to 2008). But what's important is that Murali did bowl at least one spell where he had India down on the mat. This one. Got each of Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar, Ganguly in one innings. And also, played a match winning role against India in at least a couple of tests in Sri Lanka which cannot be ignored.

Warne on the other had did pretty much nothing against India anywhere, in any form of the game (if you go to ODIs Murali has another 2-3 great performances against India including a 7 wicket haul to dismiss India for 50 something). So in the end, who did better against India is a no brainer.

Last edited: