Page 656 of 660 FirstFirst ... 156556606646654655656657658 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,840 of 9895
Like Tree2100Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

  1. #9826
    International Regular a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    3,956
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Miller played the 3rd test and thoroughly outbowled Warne.
    Didn't every spinner outbowl Warne when they were up against India?
    OverratedSanity likes this.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  2. #9827
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,390
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    The names aren't as impressive on paper but Johnson-Harris-Siddle-Lyon-Watson was probably the best I've seen an Australian attack function over the course of a series. Mostly flat wickets and I don't remember England going past 300 except on one or two occasions where the match had been pretty much decided by then.
    OTOH, all of them except Lyon played at least 3 times in the 2010-11 series and England managed scores of 517-1, 620-5, 513 and 644.

  3. #9828
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,124
    Lyon was vastly underrated by management at times. Wade's stint in the side as keeper really hurt his game as well.

  4. #9829
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    22,682
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    OTOH, all of them except Lyon played at least 3 times in the 2010-11 series and England managed scores of 517-1, 620-5, 513 and 644.
    Had a lot to do with Clarke's captaincy, field placements, and their form at the respective times. In that 2013-14 series, it just felt like England's batsmen never had a place to go, no weak link to target, nothing. They weren't in bad form and I didn't think they batted badly, it was just that the bowling, fielding, catching from the Aussies was relentless.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.


  5. #9830
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    11,999
    Fielding focussed ODI XI.


    Mark Waugh
    Ricky Ponting
    Viv Richards
    MS Dhoni
    Andrew Symonds
    Jonty Rhodes
    Paul Collingwood
    Andrew Flintoff
    Brad Hogg
    Brett Lee
    Joel Garner
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

  6. #9831
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,441
    ATG visiting Asian XI to Australia

    Sunil Gavaskar
    Virender Sehwag
    Kumar Sangakkara
    Sachin Tendulkar
    VVS Laxman
    Imran Khan
    Kapil Dev
    Wasim Akram
    Wasim Bari
    Bishen Singh Bedi
    Jasprit Bumrah

    Excluded current players like Kohli, Pujara. Could not exclude Bumrah as replacement would not be good enough.
    Last edited by h_hurricane; 15-08-2019 at 11:00 PM.

  7. #9832
    International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Fielding focussed ODI XI.


    Mark Waugh
    Ricky Ponting
    Viv Richards
    MS Dhoni
    Andrew Symonds
    Jonty Rhodes
    Paul Collingwood
    Andrew Flintoff
    Brad Hogg
    Brett Lee
    Joel Garner
    Flintoff? As a slipper?

  8. #9833
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,464
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Flintoff? As a slipper?
    Yeah it works IMO. Not many fast bowlers are great fielders, and most of the batsmen in the top order aren't slippers (at least not exclusively), so you could field Flintoff there in that side easily.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

  9. #9834
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,464
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Had a lot to do with Clarke's captaincy, field placements, and their form at the respective times. In that 2013-14 series, it just felt like England's batsmen never had a place to go, no weak link to target, nothing. They weren't in bad form and I didn't think they batted badly, it was just that the bowling, fielding, catching from the Aussies was relentless.
    Just shows how gun Lyon is.

  10. #9835
    International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah it works IMO. Not many fast bowlers are great fielders, and most of the batsmen in the top order aren't slippers (at least not exclusively), so you could field Flintoff there in that side easily.
    I get what you're saying. He's in the side more for his batting/bowling, but good enough as a fielder to make him fit the theme.

    It would be interesting to see where you'd put all those guys. Probably Waugh and Flintoff in the slips, rather than Ponting because Ponting would be better in the ring.

    Who would get the pleb mid-on/mid-off jobs? Hogg and someone?

  11. #9836
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    11,999
    Probably-

    Slips- Flintoff and Waugh
    Gully- Garner
    Point/cover/mid off- Ponting, Rhodes, Symonds
    Mid on- Hogg
    Mid wicket - Viv
    Square leg- Collingwood
    Boundary- Lee

  12. #9837
    International Captain jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,624
    Good looking XI, RH. Personally I'd sub in Chris Cairns for Lee & Roger Harper for Hogg.

    Maybe even Raina, or Clive Lloyd, for Viv, if it is after all a fielding focused side.

  13. #9838
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,464
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I get what you're saying. He's in the side more for his batting/bowling, but good enough as a fielder to make him fit the theme.
    Yep, and if you want most of the batsmen fielding in the ring somewhere, that bloke kind of has to be a slipper (or a gun ring fielder, which is even rarer for a fast bowler). Anderson does it pretty well but less well than Flintoff (not to mention not being an ATG ODI player like Flintoff) and I can't really think of a heap of others off the top of my head. It's a great pick IMO. Not the best fielder available but if you wanted a bowler to field in slips who was a gun ODI player then yeah sure.

  14. #9839
    International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,092
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    Good looking XI, RH. Personally I'd sub in Chris Cairns for Lee & Roger Harper for Hogg.

    Maybe even Raina, or Clive Lloyd, for Viv, if it is after all a fielding focused side.
    You still want them to be potential ATG XI players though. Cairns, Harper & Raina certainly aren't that.

    (yes I realise Paul Collingwood is in there, call him the exception that proves the rule)

  15. #9840
    International Captain jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,624
    I see what you mean. I suppose Jonty Rhodes is another exception, as he isn't necessarily an ATG ODI batsman.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •