• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saying India didn't do that well with Tendulkar, Kohli and Dhoni in the team is a lot like someone looking at an Australian scorecard from 2013 and wondering why a middle order of Ponting, Clarke and Smith didn't decimate everyone.

Spark

Global Moderator
Saying India didn't do that well with Tendulkar, Kohli and Dhoni in the team is a lot like someone looking at an Australian scorecard from 2013 and wondering why a middle order of Ponting, Clarke and Smith didn't decimate everyone.
In fairness I still wonder that at times, subbing out Smith for Hussey. That middle order seriously underperformed for several years, by rights it should have been the best in the world. Mostly because of Ponting's decline and Hussey seriously reverting to the mean.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
There are a number of other openers in the same class as batsmen as Gilchrist. None of them can keep. Jayasuriya can bowl. But there's no point ending up 1/300 in an ODI when you could finish 5/350.

It's about winning and Rohit doesn't fit into an ATG side like Jayasuriya, Gilchrist or even Roy do. Because I don't want de Villiers facing 5 balls.

It's why Symonds is pretty much the perfect number 7 for an ATG side - he's hyper aggressive but able to build an innings after a collapse. He can also give you a full 10 overs and will likely save runs in the field and/ or create a chance.
By this same logic, why would you not pick Kapil over Symonds ? He could be more aggressive than Symonds, for once I would really like you to do era adjustments here :). Symonds doesn't give you full 10 overs. Kapil or for that matter Flintoff or Klusener does.

srbhkshk

International Captain
2011 WC was the closest to all three of them not being far from there peak - and we kinda won that with a bowling attack Bangladesh would laugh at. Yuvi was our best bowler ffs.

Spark

Global Moderator
2011 WC was the closest to all three of them not being far from there peak - and we kinda won that with a bowling attack Bangladesh would laugh at. Yuvi was our best bowler ffs.
That's a bit unfair to both Ashwin, who at the time was still a very solid ODI bowler, and Zaheer Khan

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
You mean like a team with Smith ( 2nd best batsman after Bradman ), Lyon ( Best spin bowler in non-Asian condition ) and Cummins ( Best fast bowler according to ICC rankings ) is ranked no.5 in ICC test rankings in a sports with 8 decent teams.
Test team of this decade picked by CW only had Kohli despite India having highest W/L ratio. Funny how that works.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zak was the best bowler for India by a long way. Sachin, Yuvi, Zak, Gambhir, Sehwag - that's who won India that WC. Kohli was good. Dhoni was meh before the final.

What a batting that side had.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By this same logic, why would you not pick Kapil over Symonds ? He could be more aggressive than Symonds, for once I would really like you to do era adjustments here :). Symonds doesn't give you full 10 overs. Kapil or for that matter Flintoff or Klusener does.
Flintof good by Pommie standards but meh otherwise and Klusener has a couple of awrslme years but otherwise unexceptional. Kapil a top shout imo but I always really liked him so probably biased

stephen

Honestly any one of Kapil, Flintoff, Symonds, Afridi, Russell or Klusener could fill in at 7 without affecting too much - they're going to be a 5th bowler and their job will be to hit out at the end 9 times out of 10.

I like Symonds for that role because he's the best genuine batsman of that lot (for the rare occasion the top order gets run through) and he was excellent in the field. Klusener is a good bet in countries where pace is king, but Flintoff/ Kapil aren't too far behind. Bearing in mind that whoever bats there is going to be bowling second drop and no higher so the guys who got the new ball wouldn't perform at their career record (though they likely wouldn't have to bowl at the death either).

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think Bevan is marginally better than Dhoni but overall I think the necessity of the ‘finisher’ class in Cricket RPG is inordinately fetishised and separated from the broader category of ‘middle order batsmen who perform well in chases’.

stephen

I think Bevan is marginally better than Dhoni but overall I think the necessity of the ‘finisher’ class in Cricket RPG is inordinately fetishised and separated from the broader category of ‘middle order batsmen who perform well in chases’.
Yeah honestly the top 5 are going to do the job 90% of the time in an AT side. Numbers 6 and 7 will usually face no more than a dozen balls when they have Sachin, Viv, Kohli and de Villiers ahead of them.

stephen

For reference, over their entire careers those 4 batsmen combined averaged 189 balls per innings.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
For reference, over their entire careers those 4 batsmen combined averaged 189 balls per innings.
I believe "Per dismissal" is a better metric here. They averaged 220 balls for this. 2 other batsmen in top 6 would be able to face 70-80 balls on most occasions. This is strengthening the case of a hitter-plus-proper bowler at no. 7.

stephen

You're probably right since the 189 included innings that are cut short because they won or because of weather.

A 30 ball averaging hitter opening plus a 30 ball hitter at 6 leaves 20 balls on average for 7-11. Still, a Bevan or Dhoni at 6 would just about cement the side as being invulnerable, especially given a hypothetical ATG attack bowling at them.

Last edited: