• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Healy should never be included in any "worst of" list. Best keeper I've ever seen, and I see no reason why he shouldn't be considered among the ATG keepers. Plus he was a gritty batsman who made runs when they were needed but could also hit out when the situation needed.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gilchrist bowled right arm mediums. So do any lefty wicketkeepers I can find who have any record of their bowling style. I did manage to find the best name of a cricketer ever on the search, at least.

~

I think the point where I was finding myself trying in vain to track down match reports that mentioned what Niall O'Brien was bowling when he got Carlton Baugh out in a first-class match in 2010 led to a moment of serious introspection
Probably because wicketkeeping favours players who are right hand dominant.

watson

Banned
Howe has just picked George Lohmann in the current draft, so I was wondering what he actually bowled. So here is a description of Lohmann's bowling by CB Fry;

He made his own style of bowling, and a beautiful style it was--so beautiful that none but a decent cricketer could fully appreciate it. He had a high right-over action, which was naturally easy and free-swinging, but, in his seeking after variations of pace, he introduced into it just a suspicion--a mere suspicion--of laboriousness. Most people, I believe, considered his action to have been perfect. To the eye it was rhythmical and polished but it cost him, probably, more effort than it appeared to do. His normal pace was medium ; he took a run of moderate length, poised himself with a slight uplifting of his high square shoulders, and delivered the ball just before his hand reached the top of its circular swing, and, in the act of delivery, he seemed first to urge forward the upper part of his body in sympathy with his arm, and then allow it to follow through after the ball. Owing to his naturally high delivery, the ball described a pronounced curve, and dropped rather sooner than the batsman expected. This natural peculiarity he developed assiduously into a very deceptive ball which he appeared to bowl the same pace as the rest, but which he really, as it were, held back, causing the unwary and often the wary to play too soon.

He was a perfect master of the whole art of varying his pace without betraying the variation to the batsman. He ran up and delivered the ball, to all appearances, exactly similarly each time; but one found now that the ball was hanging in the air, now that it was on to one surprisingly soon. He had complete control of his length, and very, very rarely--unless intentionally--dropped a ball too short or too far up. He had a curious power of making one feel a half volley was on its way ; but the end was usually a perfect length ball or a yorker. He had that subtle finger power which makes the ball spin, and consequently he could both make the ball break on a biting wicket and make it " nip along quick " on a true one. He made a practice of using both sides of the wicket on sticky pitches. If he found he was breaking too much, he would change from over to round the wicket, and on fast pitches he soon had a go round the wicket at a batsman who appeared comfortable at the other sort. But he was full of artifices and subleties, and he kept on trying them all day, each as persistently as the others, one after another. With all his skill, he would never have achieved his great feats but for his insistence of purpose. He was what I call a very hostile bowler ; he made one feel he was one's deadly enemy, and he used to put many batsmen off their strokes by his masterful and confident manner with the ball. He was by far the most difficult medium-pace bowler I ever played on a good wicket."

Wisden - George Lohmann
And something from WG Grace;

He has no superior as a bowler… He bowls above medium pace —indeed he might almost be classed as fast — has a beautiful action and keeps a splendid length. He alters his pace without altering his action… Today, it is simply ludicrous to watch batsman after batsman walk into [his] trap … it is a triumph of the bowler’s art.

George Lohmann: The man with the best-ever bowling average and strike rate - Latest Cricket News, Articles & Videos at CricketCountry.com

Basically I see Lohmann as a medium-fast bowler (not to be confused with fast-medium) who could swing the ball, and bowl a good off-cutter on a perfect length. Occasionally he would bowl a leg-cutter.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
A decent lower-order bat in county cricket, but never did much in Tests.

Regarding his pace - according to a contemporary song ("The Hope of Surrey", presumably sung to the tune of "There's a Tavern in the Town"...):

"When Surrey ladled out defeat, who did it?
When Notts and Yorks and Kent were beat, who did it?
Lohmann did - George Lohmann -
Something like a yeoman,
Neither fast nor slow man,
George!"

Also renowned for going on strike over pay and missing a Test match.

Howe_zat

Audio File
ATG double entendre XI

Quinton de Kock
Salman Butt
Joe Root
Mike Hussey
Peter Willey
Dinesh Ramdin
Luke Woodcock
Dick Spooner
David Willey
Ryan Sidebottom
Michael Holding

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dick Spooner is the first name on the team sheet. Could get a game ahead of Sidebottom though, it's a name with great potential.

'Mahboob looks good from side-on.'
'Mahboob has been completely exposed today.'
'Mahboob was milked throughout the middle overs.'

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ATG double entendre XI

Quinton de Kock
Salman Butt
Joe Root
Mike Hussey
Peter Willey
Dinesh Ramdin
Luke Woodcock
Dick Spooner
David Willey
Ryan Sidebottom
Michael Holding
Bit of a shame having Holding and Willey in the same XI, can't have the "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey" comments.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hutton
Gavaskar
Bradman
Sobers
Miller
Border
Gilchrist
Imran
Marshall
O'Reilly