• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
That's because Steve was good enough to not throw his wicket away.
TBF, I don't know a huge amount about Steve Waugh. I know he was a great captain. Do most people consider him a great batsman? His record in the Ashes is incredible, although he faced arguably the weakest series of England sides in history.

Gob

International Coach
TBF, I don't know a huge amount about Steve Waugh. I know he was a great captain. Do most people consider him a great batsman? His record in the Ashes is incredible, although he faced arguably the weakest series of England sides in history.
Dead set ATG

Gob

International Coach
If Bell is in the team then Waugh is in the team. Very similar players.
Similar records but all those amazing hundreds against some great attacks puts him comfortably ahead of Belly imo

MWaugh vs VVS is a better comparison

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have him right up there with Dravid and Kallis in the tier below they very best. Push comes to shove, I'd maybe rate him above those two as well. Some of his innings against the likes of Ambrose/Walsh and Donald/Pollock were masterpieces. Apart from Sachin, there wasn't a single batsman who matched his consistent greatness throughout the 90s.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Dead set ATG
Really? If you remove his record against England (arguably one of the weakest bowling sides Waugh faced), Steve has 7727 runs (the same number as Ian Bell) at 48.59. I could be reading far too much into statistics here but those numbers aren't the numbers of an ATG.

Ashes great? Yes. ATG? I'm not convinced...

smash84

The Tiger King
Really? If you remove his record against England (arguably one of the weakest bowling sides Waugh faced), Steve has 7727 runs (the same number as Ian Bell) at 48.59. I could be reading far too much into statistics here but those numbers aren't the numbers of an ATG.

That's because you have never seen him bat and haven't seen the bowling attacks he faced and the circumstances he played his innings in. Heck he was probably an ATG in just how mentally tough he was in cricket and that;s not even taking the disciplinary aspects into consideration. He didn't have a great start to his career but from 92 onwards up until his retirement he was ****ing brilliant. He faced, AMbrose, Walsh, Bishop, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Donald, Kapil, Srinath, Vaas, Pollock, Ntini, Heath Streak. Some of these guys are the best bowlers their country produced.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

He played some magnificent knocks against some very good bowling. Proper ATG. His 90s record is incredible. Right up there with Sachin's. Border maybe the only tougher middle order bat in Aus history.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
01. Michael Atherton
02. Chris Gayle
03. Stephen Fleming
04. Inzamam ul-Haq
05. Sourav Ganguly*
06. Carl Hooper
07. Alec Stewart +
08. Daniel Vettori
09. Chaminda Vaas
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. Makhaya Ntini
Chris Gayle
Sanath Jayasuriya
Andrew Strauss
Stephen Fleming
Dilip Vengsarkar
Saleem Malik
Mark Boucher +
Dan Vettori
Chaminda Vaas
James Anderson
Makhaya Ntini

How the hell did Saleem Malik not make it to any of the lists yet? Inzi, watson, seriously?

OverratedSanity

That "one of the weakest attacks" he faced had Gough, Fraser and Caddick should say enough about how many great bowlers there were in that era. His two hundreds at Old Trafford, the 200 vs Walsh/Ambrose, the 63* on a ridiculous seamer in the same series and his 164 v SA probably his best innings, among many more.

OverratedSanity

Chris Gayle
Sanath Jayasuriya
Andrew Strauss
Stephen Fleming
Dilip Vengsarkar
Saleem Malik
Mark Boucher +
Dan Vettori
Chaminda Vaas
James Anderson
Makhaya Ntini

How the hell did Saleem Malik not make it to any of the lists yet? Inzi, watson, seriously?
How the hell is ****ing Ganguly not making the XI He played 100+tests guys, can confirm.

cnerd123

likes this
Dada was a beast. Highly underrated.

We would be considering him as our own Allan Border if it weren't for legends like Sachin, Dravid, Viru and VVS outshining him. He was pretty damn good too but often overlooked or forgotten due to how great the batsmen around him were. Kinda like Gillespie as a bowler.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
01. Michael Atherton
02. Chris Gayle
03. Stephen Fleming
04. Inzamam ul-Haq
05. Sourav Ganguly*
06. Carl Hooper
07. Alec Stewart +
08. Daniel Vettori
09. Chaminda Vaas
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. Makhaya Ntini
Inzy? Are you ****ing kidding me?

OverratedSanity

I suppose weighing Vengsarkar down is his poor away record. Ganguly's wasn't anywhere near as bad plus his captaincy would help him too.

Waugh didn't make Harsh's side.
I was talking about other people's XIs too, ftr. Ganguly didn't make a single one, which is pretty ridiculous. He wasn't that great.