• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strauss Retires From Cricket

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Shocked to hear him retiring outright, although I guess few captains remain as players after their tenure ends.

Who would England be looking at to replace him for the India series? Carberry or Root, I guess?

EDIT: Compton. How the **** did I forget Nick Compton?

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bit of a sad one, but he's had a good spell at the top. Probably the right time to go really. He really didn't seem like the player he was several years ago, so it's probably the right time to give Cook a crack at putting his stamp on the team. Probably paves the way for a Pietersen return too.

Will be missed though, has been a good servant and I don't think anyone could question his passion or committment to the cause. Was always obviously very passionate about representing England, and came up big when it mattered a number of times. Will have several fond memories.
The bloke whom many in the team may regard as having wrecked the closing stages of Strauss' captaincy?
I would have thought that it makes Pietersen's return less likely, at least until things get settled and a couple of series are under their belt.

I mean, even if Cook was in KP's corner, it's not the way to get things started with the rest of the group by dragging him back in when, from the sounds of it, most of the group don't want him in there.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I would have thought that it makes Pietersen's return less likely, at least until things get settled and a couple of series are under their belt.

I mean, even if Cook was in KP's corner, it's not the way to get things started with the rest of the group by dragging him back in when, from the sounds of it, most of the group don't want him in there.
And I don't think KP is Cook's biggest fan either, given his "tell me who else other than Strauss can captain this team" comments after Colombo.

say2chintu

Cricket Spectator
Who would've thought after last ashes that Strauss won't play the next one and Ponting might still play #Punter

Captain Cook is happy that next home series vs South Africa is in 2017. All hail ICC FTP ;)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Well, we'll see how it pans out I suppose. One of the "elephants in the room" has now gone, which means there may be space for the other to return. There's no doubt, that the supposed irreconcilable differences, if there were any, were between Strauss and Pietersen, and that theirs was the relationship that was the divisive presence on the rest of the side. Now that this has effectively been removed from the picture, for me anyway, it's a lot more easy to see how Pietersen will or can return.

I doubt he will immediately of course, but if he gets his head down and demonstrates a willingness to improve his behaviour and get on with the job at hand, I can't see them keeping him out for too long.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could see it coming a mile off. 100 Tests, pulling out of the Middlesex game and then the announcement of the upcoming press conference.

Did a lot for English cricket and was unfairly criticised at times, especially in ODI cricket... Time had come though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well, we'll see how it pans out I suppose. One of the "elephants in the room" has now gone, which means there may be space for the other to return. There's no doubt, that the supposed irreconcilable differences, if there were any, were between Strauss and Pietersen, and that theirs was the relationship that was the divisive presence on the rest of the side. Now that this has effectively been removed from the picture, for me anyway, it's a lot more easy to see how Pietersen will or can return.

I doubt he will immediately of course, but if he gets his head down and demonstrates a willingness to improve his behaviour and get on with the job at hand, I can't see them keeping him out for too long.
I'd hazard that the KP vs. Broad/Anderson/Swann division runs a bit deeper than KP vs. Strauss, tbh.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd hazard that the KP vs. Broad/Anderson/Swann division runs a bit deeper than KP vs. Strauss, tbh.
And Cook's best mate is Jimmy A, and through him Swann, so... could be interesting to see how they deal with everything.

Pothas

Flower just as important in this whole thing as well although have never been convinced he will stick around forever.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, maybe it does. But that's the thing, we just don't know for sure what the ins and outs of it are. If as you say, the Strauss/KP relationship was just the tip of the ice berg then what i've forecast is unlikely to manifest itself. But we don't really have all that much to go on other than media hearsay.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I don't think they'll go with Carberry. He's nearly 32.

Compton was raised in SA wasn't he?

Last edited:

Pothas

I don't think they'll go with Carberry. He's nearly 32.
Had illness and injury problems as well, would also struggle in India.

Jimmy Adams would actualy be a better bet right now, never thought he would be international standard at all but I just love the man and has been excellent again this year.

Root favourite though isn't he?