69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dhoni

25 36.23%
  • Bevan

44 63.77%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Clash of the titans, Dhoni vs Bevan

Interesting to see their records in detail...

Michael Bevan
    MS Dhoni

Dhoni has weak record in SA, Bevan in SL. Everywhere else they both have really, really great records.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Bevan's strike rate in Australia is higher than Dhoni's.
    ITSTL.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Bev but it's close.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Bevan's strike rate in Australia is higher than Dhoni's.
    ITSTL.
    Not surprising really. Someone mentioned that he has looked sluggish in Australia.

1st Match: Australia v India at Brisbane, Feb 3, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

37 from 61 after India was reduced to 94-5.

4th Match: Australia v India at Melbourne, Feb 10, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

17 from 54 to win a low scoring game.

10th Match: Australia v India at Sydney, Feb 24, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

36 from 66 after being 4 down in a high scoring game.

He has shown ability to hold one end in case of failure of top order (not as good as Bevan probably) and ability to score quickly also.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Bevan, and I don't think it's as close as some others do. Mainly because I see them both as finishers and for me the pinnacle of ODIs is the World Cup. Dhoni had a great finals knock but was carried there the rest of the tournament. Bevan had several WC knocks alone, against superlative attacks, where he carried Australia. Made the heart weak to watch such nail biting finishes but makes you appreciate the kind of cement-block-crushing-pressure Bevan could withstand. Bevan made Disney-movie like finishes to games where if you hadn't seen it yourself you'd think it was a made up story for kids.
    Last edited by Ikki; 26-08-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    That's not quite true. When Bevan had no choice he could reach the boundary with monotonous regularity. His 185 runs (chasing 320) against an 'Asia XI' featuring Kumble and a young Razzaq has to be seen to be believed;

Michael Bevan 185* vs ASIA XI - 2000 Dhaka - YouTube

Incidently, Andrew Caddick should be prosicuted by the police and sent to gaol IMO.

(Thanks 'Ikki' for the video!)
    Not just Razzaq and Kumble...but Vaas, Wasim and Murali. It is an unbelievable innings and he almost pulled off the ****ing impossible.
    Asia XI v Rest of the World XI at Dhaka, Apr 8, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Bevan's only role was to bat and very rarely bowl. Dhoni captains the side, keeps wickets 99% of the time and then bats as well and is infinitely more important to any team he plays for than Bevan ever was. And as for the WC performances, you just need to perform when you are required to and he did that. And that becomes a fault now. Sound logic.

I like Bevan but the numbers do not lie. Dhoni averages marginally less at a much better strike rate and keeps wickets and captains his team to boot. His hair has gone white at 32 ffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Bevan's only role was to bat and very rarely bowl. Dhoni captains the side, keeps wickets 99% of the time and then bats as well and is infinitely more important to any team he plays for than Bevan ever was.
    I think the thread implied we were just supposed to compare ODI batting. It doesn't even specific ODIs though so I considered being a smartarse and voting for Bevan based on his outstanding Sheffield Shield record in the golden era for the competition.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    What were the opposition bowling attacks like during their careers? 94-04 had some pretty awesome bowlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I think the thread implied we were just supposed to compare ODI batting. It doesn't even specific ODIs though so I considered being a smartarse and voting for Bevan based on his outstanding Sheffield Shield record in the golden era for the competition.
    Well Dhoni's test record > Bevan's. So...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    What were the opposition bowling attacks like during their careers? 94-04 had some pretty awesome bowlers.
    Yeah it's a fair point and part of why people were so bummed about Bev not being able to make a real go of it as a Test bat. His first series was in Pakistan and he got a couple of good scores against the W's when they were really bowling well. Truth is, Bev didn't have trouble with the short ones, was the archtypical 'tuck him up with a couple then throw the wide one' sort. Couldn't help himself.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-08-2012 at 01:04 AM.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    That's not quite true. When Bevan had no choice he could reach the boundary with monotonous regularity. His 185 runs (chasing 320) against an 'Asia XI' featuring Kumble and a young Razzaq has to be seen to be believed;

Michael Bevan 185* vs ASIA XI - 2000 Dhaka - YouTube

Incidently, Andrew Caddick should be prosicuted by the police and sent to gaol IMO.

(Thanks 'Ikki' for the video!)
    Come on, that was an exhibition game, records there are not to be taken with a pinch of salt. I think its beyond doubt that Dhoni is the bigger hitter out of the two, even though Bevan was more than adept at maintaining a decent strike rate in ones and twos. There are a lot of variables while comparing the two. The quality of bowling attacks they played with, the general nature of ODI scoring patterns in Bevan's time etc.

IMO If Dhoni continues the same way he has been doing for the last 1-2 years for the rest of his career, he will end up being rated higher than Bevan.
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Yeah but it should be pretty clear to all who the better cricket batsman was though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Bevan, and I don't think it's as close as some others do
    Yeah right. Bevan used to drink some magic potion.

Bevan made Disney-movie like finishes to games where if you hadn't seen it yourself you'd think it was a made up story for kids.
    Applies equally to Dhoni, if you care to notice. Obviously you won't feel same sense of nervousness when Dhoni is doing his rescue job.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information