• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Newman putting boot in again in Mail. No surprises where he is getting his quotes from being so close to the Essex mafia.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Timing is the crazy thing here. The Ashes were a flogging and left the team with a top 7 looking like this.

1. Cook
2. -
3. -
4. - KP
5. - Bell
6. - Stokes
7. -

Remove KP and you have 4 spots to fill. How anyone can think that's the right way to rebuild a team is beyond me. When your missing 2 of your top 3 and a keeper step 1 isn't dumping your number 4 blindly. You fix the other 3 problems first then take another look at KP. This isn't about how good he is its about how many bigger problems the team already has. Let's not forget they don't have a 3rd seamer or a spinner and the captain is clueless when his team doesn't have the talent to neutralize his impact on a game.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So it seems "most" posters here think the ECB have lost their marbles and have cut off their nose to spite their face in getting rid of KP. Question is, how much should any team take from one player, when does enough become enough? Can you really keep moving the line and putting up with the **** just because he is (arguably) the best batsman in the side?

IMO the textgate business should have been enough for anyone (even if you are Don Bradman) to be sacked for good, and I suspect if it were a lesser England player it would have been. But the ECB backed down on that, accepted the apologies, moved the line and reintegrated him. We don't really know yet what happened behind the scenes in Aus, or how bad it got or KP behaved......but at this juncture im prepared to give the benefit of doubt to the management given KP's past history.

So we've got rid of arguably our best batsmen in 50 years, until we move forward without him we don't know what impact this will have on the team. This is possibly a dubious analogy and likely to ruffle the feathers of Big Freds fans, but I think we can take positives out of what happened after Flintoffs forced retirement. Fred was our best allrounder since Beefy and was considered an impossible player to replace, his retirement left a big hole to fill and ****ed the balance of the side. Whilst Flintoffs career wasn't exactly scandal free I'm not suggesting he was anywhere near the rotten egg that KP is, but he was still a big ego in the change room and I believe Jimmy Anderson for one didn't particularly like playing alongside him.

Coincidence or not Flintoffs career ending pretty much coincided with the start of England's "purple patch" and Jimmy Anderson lifting his game and becoming one of the best quicks in the game. England ended up being a better team without Flintoff as others came out from under his shadow and blossomed.

Time will tell how this pans out and what impact it has on the English cricket team, but I'm far more concerned about how we are going to replace Swann and Prior (if he's done) than I am KP.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Adders what makes you say that about Jimmy and Freddie? They worked very well together as a bowling partnership. If Broad hadn't begun to click then Flintoff's retirement might well have had a negative effect on Anderson.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Adders what makes you say that about Jimmy and Freddie? They worked very well together as a bowling partnership. If Broad hadn't begun to click then Flintoff's retirement might well have had a negative effect on Anderson.
Just some talk that was going around about the time of the 2009 Ashes iirc. Tbh, it could well just be gossip and urban myth so I'm not suggesting it should be taken as gospel and your hypothetical could be just as correct.

But true or not, Jimmy and England did start to fire after Freds retirement and as much as most England fans loved Flintoff (myself included) we didn't really end up missing him at all.

Maybe in time we'll look back and think the same of KP??

The problem England have now which they didn't have with the retirement of Flintoff, is that we are now looking to replace 4 players that have all been pivotal to the teams success but I think Prior and Swanns shoes are going to be a lot harder to fill than KP's.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So KP has gone because the players cannot trust him. Not sure that really explains an awful lot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So the ECB statement has basically said it's all Piers Morgan's fault. I'm all for that but there is a flaw in their logic in that the dressing room details were leaked only after KP was sacked

BoyBrumby

Englishman
For UK readers Sky are showing "Kevin Pietersen: The Greatest Innings" on SS2 now.

Just shown his Mumbai knock; the world T20 to follow.

Man, he's some player. Breaks yer heart, really. :(

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Coincidence or not Flintoffs career ending pretty much coincided with the start of England's "purple patch" and Jimmy Anderson lifting his game and becoming one of the best quicks in the game. England ended up being a better team without Flintoff as others came out from under his shadow and blossomed.
Nope. Anderson upping his game and being England's best bowler predates Flintoff's retirement by over a year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nope. Anderson upping his game and being England's best bowler predates Flintoff's retirement by over a year.
Eh, only sort of. Was still heavily inconsistent throughout 08 and 09. Was even dropped in early 09 in fact.

Pothas

Yeah I seem to remember Scaly ranting about him only being good in 1 out of 5 tests or something about the time we toured SA.

Was only really 2010 that he made the big step up.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Nah think furball is right. There was a time during 2008/09 - 2011(before India's England tour) when Anderson, Zak and Steyn were the best fast bowlers in the world neck to neck. Remember plenty of comparisons between those three at that time.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Eh, only sort of. Was still heavily inconsistent throughout 08 and 09. Was even dropped in early 09 in fact.
Nah, he wasn't the force he was to become but he was still England's best bowler by a ****ing mile in the period in question. And his dropping was because of selectorial stupidity, not bad performance.

Pothas

Nah Anderson was a decent test bowler then but he was not England's best bowler in 2008, was Sidebottom. I loved that time.