• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2014 will go down as monumental year in the history of the ECB. They conspired to end the career of KP, England's only player on the modern era who would be close to an all-time England XI, while selling out the rest of world cricket to increase its bank account's, joining the BCCI & CA in most retrograde step the International Cricket Council revamp, that the sport has ever known.

What ENG did to KP as Piers Morgan said will always remain "one of the most gutless, vindictive things I've seen in English sport"

Thanks to AUS poor batting, ENG won one of the most strangest Ashes series in a long while. Because fact is outside of Root - AUS quicks even with Harris injured pretty much exposed majority of the top 7 & a scenario that many predicted could happen where players could be dropped (Ballance) due to technical faults being exposed was created for KP to be returned did occur.
Well as a tabloid editor who hacked peoples phones and faked pics of British soldiers torturing people, he's clearly a great moral arbiter.

FFS, someone was dropped because it was believed they didn't fit in to the team, has happened 100s of times, it may have been right or wrong, it's a judgement call, but that kind of hyperbole is what has made the story just so ****ing tedious in every way.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Of course he is... And can you clarify how exactly you are categorically stating that ECB/CA were no means as sleazy and Tyrannical as BCCI? I ll say under Giles Clarke in the last few years itself, ECB has been just as bad, if not worse, than the BCCI. At least the BCCI does not go around getting their best player look like a **** to feed the head honcho's ego. 8-)
If its even possible for you a prove, can you kindly show some list of articles Haigh has done that illustrates why you think he is biased towards whatever cricket related matter ?. I read pretty much all his work and know a few media guys that have dealt with him and such a POV is far from the truth AFAIK.

Of course ECB under Clarke now is just as sleazy as BCCI under Powar/Srinivasam - but I have not read or heard anything of anything in the 20th century that ECB/CA did when they had veto power over cricket that suggests they were tyrannical as BCCI was post Dalmiya.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well as a tabloid editor who hacked peoples phones and faked pics of British soldiers torturing people, he's clearly a great moral arbiter.

FFS, someone was dropped because it was believed they didn't fit in to the team, has happened 100s of times, it may have been right or wrong, it's a judgement call, but that kind of hyperbole is what has made the story just so ****ing tedious in every way.
Ha ye and the fact that it was Morgan (would never listen to him otherwise) of all people that made such straight forward assessment that many people can relate to shows on the wrong side of the KP saga the ECB under Clarke are.

I would consider the way KP was exiled to be worst example of dropping a player for clear non-cricket reasons in cricket history. The amount of lies the ECB have peddled for the Ashes dossier crap, text gate nonsense, twitter account shambles in which even Alec Stewart defended KP and them making him give up his IPL deal this year to play county cricket and yet not picking is absolutely shameful.

Nothing the ECB has said to try and explain why KP was dropped and cannot be recalled makes sense - just a long horrific episode of deceit and lies.

He is more deserving of test place than Bell and he would still make ENGs exciting new ODI/T20 teams stronger.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would consider the fact that the team won the last ashes means that the ECB have been vindicated in their decision to get rid of KP.

The fact you are siding with Piers Moron says a lot.

Anyway Gower was dumped in a far worse way than KP.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I would consider the fact that the team won the last ashes means that the ECB have been vindicated in their decision to get rid of KP.

The fact you are siding with Piers Moron says a lot.

Anyway Gower was dumped in a far worse way than KP.
I am not siding with Morgan. I clearly stated I was agreeing with a general point he made of the KP situation that it's the most vindictive thing in English sport.

England got lucky because as i mentioned before enough batsmen failed in Ashes as predicted and spaces for KP did open up. Its just that AUS batted even worse ENG were able to conveniently keep a few players and ignore KP.

KP would have been a better replacement than Bairstow and Bell is being backed team despite is scratchy form.

The Gower situation is certainly comparable, but that was more a personality beef with him & Gooch. Although ECB of the time had their issues with him, I don't think it was a deep rooted as the what the ECB has with KP now.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well that might be because Gower never texted the opposition slagging off his team mates.
That's false KP disapproved that. I don't know what the discussion were on this forum at the time when revelations of the textgate crap broke out - but just to recap as he said in these BBC interviews earlier this year, the talking was initiated by the South Africans noticing that Strauss was being very rude and blanking him in public during the 2012 series.

He never gave them no tactical info about the England team. As he said himself in the interview, the textgate seemed like another orchestrated plot by the ECB to use against him.

What we know for sure is that the twitter parody account was created by some dude name Richard Bailey around the same time & Alec Stewart of all people who has defended KP, stating the dude said Swann, Bresnan and Broad had access to account - BBC Sport - Kevin Pietersen: Alec Stewart told ECB of Twitter parody insiders & ECB did a joke job of investigating it when Downtown was in charge.

Alec Stewart on BBC Five Live said:
"I am not here to nail the players. I want them to be fully aware of that but why I am prepared to speak openly about it now ..."after it has all been done behind closed doors in 2012 is what Richard Bailey said is doubting my word, integrity and I'll not have that.”

BBC Radio 5 live - In Short, Pietersen: South Africa texts were 'stick to batter me with'

BBC Sport - Kevin Pietersen on England, Andrew Strauss, Cook and Swann

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If its even possible for you a prove, can you kindly show some list of articles Haigh has done that illustrates why you think he is biased towards whatever cricket related matter ?. I read pretty much all his work and know a few media guys that have dealt with him and such a POV is far from the truth AFAIK.

Of course ECB under Clarke now is just as sleazy as BCCI under Powar/Srinivasam - but I have not read or heard anything of anything in the 20th century that ECB/CA did when they had veto power over cricket that suggests they were tyrannical as BCCI was post Dalmiya.

Lets start with how much touring any of those teams did to India, shall we? And if you have not read or heard of anything in the 20th century, it means you just choose to not see. Google it... There is a previous to poor cricket administration and there always has been.

And about Haigh, this is not new. I Have been reading his columns on Sportstar even from the time I was like 10 or 11 years old and while he does write well, and when he is writing about the actual game and not his biased views on the politics of it, he is good value. But I have read more than enough to see that he is biased. I am not google around on a workday to tell you the instances but I am sure once again google can help you out. I remember reading his stuff and sensing his bias, that is all.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
;3555122]Lets start with how much touring any of those teams did to India, shall we? And if you have not read or heard of anything in the 20th century, it means you just choose to not see. Google it... There is a previous to poor cricket administration and there always has been.
Haha I've heard this weak example by other IND fans and administrators before. Along with criticisms that Indian players were not chosen in the Packer series - when reality was they were not good enough.

Fact is as the late Tony Greig said in his 2011 MCC Spirit of Cricket lecture, BCCI problem is this:

Tony Greig Cowdrey Lecture: The full transcript | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Tony Greig said:
We can huff and puff as much as we like and have all sorts of external reports," Greig continued, "but this situation can only be resolved by India accepting that the spirit of cricket is more important than generating billions of dollars; it's more important than turning out multi-millionaire players; and it's more important than getting square with Australia and England for their bully-boy tactics towards India over the years. It's ironic that the world, including India, rightly worships at the Nelson Mandela altar because of his conciliatory attitude but then India eschews his approach by indulging in a little pay back.
Now India financial influence has grown, its using it to get back @ ENG/AUS for unsubstantiated bad treatment, they claim was death against them. I have read many cricket history books, spoken to many journalist around the world & there is in fact ECB/CA did nothing to India.

India were a crap test team until probably the big 1960s, so while the MCC did a good job throughout the 20th century in giving pretty much every team test status - they were in their rights to send 2nd XI to certain countries in those days until they were competitive.

Having said all of that about India, from a historical context, the modern ECB/AUS & the old ECB/AUS are at more blame for the current messy ICC structure & the rise of BCCI in the last 15 years.

When the Packer ordeal occurred & exposed ICC in the 1970s, since then the AUS/ENG should have brought all the members boards should have tried to formulate an ICC independently, just as how FIFA became independent when Jo?o Havelange campaigned to defeat the English FIFA head Stanley Rous circa 1974, saying he would make football more global.

ICC was never a financially viable institution before Jagmohan Dalmiya became president in the mid 90s (when ENG/AUS veto power was eased) and as is common knowlege the champions trophy was formed in 1998 to save the ICC from being bankrupt. So India has played a MASSIVE role in helping the ICC have money.

If this was done, ICC would have been a proper independent body all these years with sound finances & India rise as financial power would be as irrelevant as England financial might in world football to FIFA, despite the influence of the premier league.

honestbharani said:
And about Haigh, this is not new. I Have been reading his columns on Sportstar even from the time I was like 10 or 11 years old and while he does write well, and when he is writing about the actual game and not his biased views on the politics of it, he is good value. But I have read more than enough to see that he is biased. I am not google around on a workday to tell you the instances but I am sure once again google can help you out. I remember reading his stuff and sensing his bias, that is all.
Give me specific examples of things he said that you consider "biased views on the politics of the game".

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, never realised that the BCCI and Gideon Haigh's objectivity (or lack thereof) was the problem in the KP situation. Everything falls into place now, the world truly has gone mad.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha I've heard this weak example by other IND fans and administrators before. Along with criticisms that Indian players were not chosen in the Packer series - when reality was they were not good enough.

Fact is as the late Tony Greig said in his 2011 MCC Spirit of Cricket lecture, BCCI problem is this:

Tony Greig Cowdrey Lecture: The full transcript | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Now India financial influence has grown, its using it to get back @ ENG/AUS for unsubstantiated bad treatment, they claim was death against them. I have read many cricket history books, spoken to many journalist around the world & there is in fact ECB/CA did nothing to India.

India were a crap test team until probably the big 1960s, so while the MCC did a good job throughout the 20th century in giving pretty much every team test status - they were in their rights to send 2nd XI to certain countries in those days until they were competitive.

Having said all of that about India, from a historical context, the modern ECB/AUS & the old ECB/AUS are at more blame for the current messy ICC structure & the rise of BCCI in the last 15 years.

When the Packer ordeal occurred & exposed ICC in the 1970s, since then the AUS/ENG should have brought all the members boards should have tried to formulate an ICC independently, just as how FIFA became independent when Jo?o Havelange campaigned to defeat the English FIFA head Stanley Rous circa 1974, saying he would make football more global.

ICC was never a financially viable institution before Jagmohan Dalmiya became president in the mid 90s (when ENG/AUS veto power was eased) and as is common knowlege the champions trophy was formed in 1998 to save the ICC from being bankrupt. So India has played a MASSIVE role in helping the ICC have money.

If this was done, ICC would have been a proper independent body all these years with sound finances & India rise as financial power would be as irrelevant as England financial might in world football to FIFA, despite the influence of the premier league.

Give me specific examples of things he said that you consider "biased views on the politics of the game".

ECB/CA made cricket an old mates club just as much as they could. BCCI broke it. Now they have let their power get to their heads, just like ECB/CA did all those years back. Simple. Just because YOU think it is not good and is unprecedented, does not mean it is true. It is just your humble opinion. And you can argue with facts all you like. I am done talking about this topic in this thread and Dan has already pointed out that it is being taken off topic needlessly. I am not gonna really respond to you anymore. I am stating facts that can be looked up easily. Tony Greig circa 2011 was just a C9 cheerleader. I don't expect him to talk with any less bias than Haigh. The spirit of cricket that his own ECB and CA so conveniently ignored for entire decades cannot become a mantra now just because India is now driving world cricket. You reap what you sow and BCCI is just carrying on the brainlessness started by ECB/CA. Deal with it.

Read what Chappell said about Dalmiya in his obituary interview.

And back on topic, yes KP has a right to feel aggrieved at how he has been treated but the team is doing great and Strauss was brought in to ensure that, not to ensure KP was treated fairly. He made a call as part of his job and the results have proved him right. Hard luck to KP but I think from some of his interviews he is moving on and so should you.

PS: Sorry DAn. Last post off topic in this thread from moi. Promise.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No, the ECB of old never exploited cricket like the Big 3 are doing now. Also, while every one is biased to an extent and I am sure Haigh has his biases too, whatever I have read of Haigh he is one of the most objective guys in my mind. Have ready plenty of Sportstar. The guy who was biased on it was Conn, not Haigh. Conn wrote some terrible pieces on it which is consistent with Conn, really.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No, the ECB of old never exploited cricket like the Big 3 are doing now. Also, while every one is biased to an extent and I am sure Haigh has his biases too, whatever I have read of Haigh he is one of the most objective guys in my mind. Have ready plenty of Sportstar. The guy who was biased on it was Conn, not Haigh. Conn wrote some terrible pieces on it which is consistent with Conn, really.
Exactly, HB is totally off & is just regurgitating baseless talking points that biased BCCI people would say.

BCCI could have easily taken a moral and cricket administrative high ground showed up ECB/CA of how to run the ICC - which is why Dalmiya is great leader they started to do that when he became president. The BCCI baseless vendetta against the older ECB/CA powers and manipulation of world cricket occurred under corrupt cronies like S Pawar & the infamous Srinivasam.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Can I, like, remind people that this thread is about KP? And not the BCCI?

If you want to argue that literally everything is the BCCI's fault at least make an effort to keep it relevant to the topic at hand.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Can I, like, remind people that this thread is about KP? And not the BCCI?

If you want to argue that literally everything is the BCCI's fault at least make an effort to keep it relevant to the topic at hand.
Was a thread ever created on this forum discussing the "Big 3" takeover when it occurred & other ICC related issues?