• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

BeeGee

International Captain
What about Steve Rixon? I'm guessing he's not interested because he's been there, done that?

Pretty sad if he'd rather be a fielding coach for Aus than the head coach for NZ. :dry:

Chubb

International Regular
New Zealand need an emotionless, stonefaced Zimbabwean as a coach.

Since the two proven international coaches who meet that stereotype are employed elsewhere, I suggest they recruit the third best option:

DAVID HOUGHTON

Perhaps Ballance, who is his nephew, may be persuaded to come and qualify for NZ instead of England?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What about Steve Rixon? I'm guessing he's not interested because he's been there, done that?

Pretty sad if he'd rather be a fielding coach for Aus than the head coach for NZ. :dry:
I think Rixon mentioned that he was interested in coming back and coaching NZ a few years ago (I remember him talking about his plans for managing difficult individuals like Ryder and drawing parallels with his experiences coaching Cairns and Parore). Not sure if he ever actually applied for the position though, and I doubt he would be interested now that he's finally got an Australian coaching gig (even if it is just as the fielding coach).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Rixon mentioned that he was interested in coming back and coaching NZ a few years ago (I remember him talking about his plans for managing difficult individuals like Ryder and drawing parallels with his experiences coaching Cairns and Parore). Not sure if he ever actually applied for the position though, and I doubt he would be interested now that he's finally got an Australian coaching gig (even if it is just as the fielding coach).
Fielding coach is his official title but he does a lot more than that in reality. He's effectively assistant national coach - he took over as head coach for the ODIs in the UAE because Arthur cbf, for example. Arthur was very keen to get him on board in whatever official capacity possible in order to basically use him as a general dog's body assistant; he's a big fan in general.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The NZ team aren't used to winning but with that attack they will continue to create chances to win. They are in a much better position than they were in a couple of years back. Once they get over the line they will become a better allround unit and win more often. WI found it tough to get those early wins and have done ok of late.

Jezroy

State Captain
Pretty much still just need 2 openers and a spin bowler. And we'll be sweet.

The pace bowlers are pretty good - 4 genuine options there, with some good back up floating around.

Would be very interesting to see what Williamson/Taylor/Brownlie/McCullum/Watling could do if they had any sort of foundation. Plus Guptill and Latham floating around in the background.

I reckon we are eight elevenths of a good cricket team.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I've said before NZ's batting is always going to be crap, so they should focus on picking the best 4 seamers and knocking teams over relatively cheaply. The last thing you want to do is get a team in trouble with pace bowling and be forced to bowl Martin or some other mickey mouse bowler. That release will put the game out of reach of NZ's batting lineup.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well, it sure was nice pretending that we had a top 3 that could play like normal test cricketers. Not that they were the only ones at fault in this case.

Actually don't want to think too much about last night just yet. After being wondrously competitive against a top side for 3 and 3/4 test matches, this result hurts a hell of a lot.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The NZ team aren't used to winning but with that attack they will continue to create chances to win. They are in a much better position than they were in a couple of years back. Once they get over the line they will become a better allround unit and win more often. WI found it tough to get those early wins and have done ok of late.

Well we've given this excuse quite a few times too.

This loss takes away all of that hard-earned self-believe of the 3 NZ tests and the first 3 days of Lord's.

It's just crushing.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So I think all pretensions that Vettori would not be a useful addition can now be dropped.

I also think Wagner justified his selection and has genuinely been improving. It's possible that he might be test standard some day.

Watling will be a big loss if he's injured for the second test.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I just wish our bowlers had a chance to bowl against our batsmen for some stat-grabbing.

It is so brutal that Southee's 10-fer means nothing now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I just wish our bowlers had a chance to bowl against our batsmen for some stat-grabbing.

It is so brutal that Southee's 10-fer means nothing now.
That's one thing that I was hoping would push our batsmen in the right direction. For the first time since Bond retired, they've got quality bowling coming at them in the nets. But I guess there's only so much polish that you can put on a turd.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I thought this thread might be a good repository of NZ collapses but was surprised to see Bahnz's opening post was only July last year. 23 pages of gloom later....

Anyway, in just the last 12 months:
4 Aug 2012 - 2nd innings vs West Indies at Sabina Park: 154
24 Aug 2012 - 1st innings vs India at Hyderabad: 159
26 Aug 2012 - 2nd innings vs India at Hyderabad: 168
18 Nov 2012 - 2nd innings vs Sri Lanka at Galle: 118
2 Jan 2013 - 1st innings vs South Africa at Newlands: 45
13 Jan 2013 - 1st innings vs South Africa at Port Elizabeth: 121
19 May 2013 - 2nd innings vs England at Lords: 68

No signs of this changing until at the very least we find two competent openers. However Southee and Boult plus backup seamers fill me with a restrained sense of joy. Hoping for Henry/Milne/McClenaghan/someone to further strengthen that strength in the next 12 months.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I've also been begrudgingly impressed by Wagner, especially in this latest test. To give him his due, he's seen his opportunity, and hasn't given Bracewell a chance since. Can't ask for much more than that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I've also been begrudgingly impressed by Wagner, especially in this latest test. To give him his due, he's seen his opportunity, and hasn't given Bracewell a chance since. Can't ask for much more than that.
Heh, he's done to Bracewell what Van Wyk did to Watling. Now where is SteveNZ to campaign for Wagner to be dropped?

I'm pleased that Bracewell will play next match though. Dare I mention Hobart's lack of Vettori? Yes I dare.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Serious question:

What will Bracewell add to the attack?

From the sounds of the warmup matches, he was operating significantly quicker than Wagner, so I suppose there's that.

But he'll also need reasonable accuracy, which (surprisingly) Wagner achieved relatively consistently. There's always the possibility of them both losing their radar though and that's quite a scary proposition if some mug like Bell or Broad are batting. At least if Vettori were flown in that wouldn't be a big issue.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Serious question:

What will Bracewell add to the attack?

From the sounds of the warmup matches, he was operating significantly quicker than Wagner, so I suppose there's that.

But he'll also need reasonable accuracy, which (surprisingly) Wagner achieved relatively consistently. There's always the possibility of them both losing their radar though and that's quite a scary proposition if some mug like Bell or Broad are batting. At least if Vettori were flown in that wouldn't be a big issue.
As I mentioned elsewhere, Vettori isn't fit for test cricket. If he was he'd have been selected in the squad.