• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

ILovecricketmor

Cricket Spectator
Is this the same side that sent us home from India
I doubt it?
A team renowned for being a "pull you by the scruff of the neck" outfit.
Let's hope they can get this one right

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately, SL's recent efforts in Australia have made our win against them seem a lot less impressive and hopeful. It's starting to look like Vettori might not play much more for New Zealand. The team will definitely be stronger with Ryder, Taylor and Southee, but I still reckon that (weather permitting) we'll lose our next 7 tests on the trot and get that record that we narrowly missed out on last year.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Hopefully SA continue to totally trounce NZ this series. Will end Hesson and should hopefully force NZC to not leave out their international quality batsmen anymore.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
And change how we train players, too. Batting techniques throughout the country seem quite rotten.

Mike5181

International Captain
Look how bad these numbers are:

MJ Guptill 31.41
BB McCullum 35.38
KS Williamson 32.12
DG Brownlie 28.84
DR Flynn 27.67
BJ Watling 27.69
JEC Franklin 20.68

NZTailender

MJ Guptill 31.41
BB McCullum 35.38
KS Williamson 32.12
DG Brownlie 28.84
DR Flynn 27.67
BJ Watling 27.69
JEC Franklin 20.68
One would expect Williamson's average will improve, and bats well when we have other people who can actually bat in the side i.e. Taylor. Guptill still remains a mystery as to whether he's up to it or whether he'll go the way the rest of recent openers (tried, failed, re-tried, fail, re-try, one success, fail and dropped for good) while the others (not incl. Baz and Franks) are the right side of 30 and if dropped will probably wander back into the side at some point.

The over 30s (bar Nicol) who were the previous tennants:
van Wyk 21.31
Nicol 7
Ingram 15.25
McIntosh 27.54
Redmond 23.00
Elliott 10.75
How 22.70
Fulton 20.93
Papps 16.40

So you'd think if they're waiting for averages to fall the current players are a few Tests away at least. And who else is knocking on the door, waiting to come in? Of those not already tried (Redmond current leading domestic runscorer, Fulton, Papps and Yovich there abouts) it's Munro, Carl Cachopa and Luke Ronchi. And if Ronchi gets a run you just know Watling will be the one out, despite him being a better bat than Flynn (IMO), and about level with Brownlie.

NZTailender

MJ Guptill 31.41
BB McCullum 35.38
KS Williamson 32.12
DG Brownlie 28.84
DR Flynn 27.67
BJ Watling 27.69
JEC Franklin 20.68
Sincas 32.05
Lou 34.15

But then, by the same token, Marshall - 38.35

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

MJ Guptill 31.41
BB McCullum 35.38
KS Williamson 32.12
DG Brownlie 28.84
DR Flynn 27.67
BJ Watling 27.69
JEC Franklin 20.68
Not to be a **** but would you mind removing runs vs Zimbabwe, Bangladesh in NZ, McCullum pre-opener and Franklin pre-'batsman'? :p

NZTailender

Not to be a **** but would you mind removing runs vs Zimbabwe, Bangladesh in NZ, McCullum pre-opener and Franklin pre-'batsman'? :p
Zimbabwe managed 51 against us, which is 6 better than 45. Over-simplified comparison, but really, without 3-4 key players, we're minnows.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Zimbabwe managed 51 against us, which is 6 better than 45. Over-simplified comparison, but really, without 3-4 key players, we're minnows.
While this is largely true, I'm interested in how our batsmen fair against international quality bowling and there's no point counting runs scored against Zim in that.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
these averages say it all, not test standard batting, i.e. above 40 from anyone. get taylor ryder and ronchi in and we may have half a chance. surely martins last test also.

Mike5181

International Captain
Against non-minnows:
Brendon McCullum averages 37.28 as an opener.
Martin Guptill 25.71
Kane Williamson 31.30
Dean Brownlie 30.30
Daniel Flynn 26.31
BJ Watling 22.44
James Franklin 18.73 (2008-now)