• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee to retire from cricket

Mike5181

International Captain
Always think he's slightly underrated as a bowler, mainly by those who favour statsguru over actually watching cricket. He formed a valuable quarter of (arguably) the most complete bowling attack I've seen (Dizzy McWarne and him, obvz) and, because the others exerted such control, one suspects he was often given a bit of a licence to run in hard and bowl flat out, which meant he was more expensive in terms of runs. It's a well kept secret but, heck, I'll cough: cricket is a team game. Shocking, I know, but there it is.
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

He always had a decent SR. Just a bit expensive, but I guess a captain wouldn't mind that when you had guys like McGrath in the bowling attack as well.

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
Big Bowler, big character, great sportsman!

He will be missed - well - I'll miss him. Somehow all my heroes from yesteryears seem to disappear .... :blink:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Sad to see him go. First Akhtar and now him, both good friends on and off the pitch and the quickest bowlers of the 2000's, and both breaking the 100 mph barrier. Would have been amazing if both of them had bowled together. :(

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rob, this article talks about Lee's dismissal of Kallis in the Boxing Day Test of 05.

One of his most memorable dismissals was that of Jacques Kallis during the Boxing Day Test of 2005, when Kallis tried to hook a bouncer from Lee and was beaten so comprehensively for pace that his bat had barely drawn level with his right shoulder as the ball smashed into the logo on his helmet. Next ball, a hesitant Kallis was bowled by an inswinging yorker. It was classic Brett Lee, vanquishing one of the world's finest batsmen with sheer pace. If he could rattle Kallis, he could rattle anyone.
Any chance of an upload?

Edit: Never mind, should have realised you'd already have it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65QJYubz6l4

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Loved the guy despite his habit of running all over India every now and then. A champion and underrated too.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good egg

Strange that for such a good bowler, some of the best Lee memories were of him with a bat in the hand.. Always gave 100 percent and was nice about it too

Last edited: