Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: How good is Sanga?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum5 View Post
    So what? You think Tendulkar and Lara haven't had bouts of mediocrity? I suggest you take a look at their stats again since you don't seem to. Yes I will admit Ponting's worst was longer and worse then their worse but their best was also never as good or long as Ponting's best either. His peak alone where he was miles ahead of both of them alone is enough to put him among both of them and the best of batsmen. Kallis too. In fact I think both have cases to be rated above Viv Richrads who I find is kind of overrated because of his style. A lot like how Wasim Akram is as a bowler.

Btw, Ponting still averaged around 45 before 2002.
    Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
    So what? I suggest that you recognise in the same time period Lara and Tendulkar averaged over 50. You're a bit of an extremist, aren't you? You're insinuating that by saying he's just under L&T's league that I'm saying he's rubbish. Again, don't get me wrong, he's a true great. In 2006-8 I had them level but the last 4ish years have confounded him, for me, just down a bit overall on them.

When did I ever say he was a bowling all arounder? All I said is he is a very capable bowler. And nearly every good bowler out there has picked on Ban and Zim. Those that didn't they just got lucky on. They are there to be picked on. Him picking on Ban and Zim a little doesn't change the fact that he has still dismissed some of the best of batsmen in his career.
    I'm just saying there're huge holes in his bowling career - you called him a genuine wicket taker - I reckon a genuine wicket taker takes more than 1 wicket per innings over a 150 match career.

And what is your point? Between 2002-2006 he was averaging 72. Back then Lara was averaging 57 and Tendulkar 48. That's exactly what I meant by him being miles ahead of both at the time.

No I'm not an extremist. In fact I think your being a bit arrogant to see other people's view clearly. All I said was based on overall career he deserves to be rated on the same level as both of them. What do you find is so wrong with that? Their overall career stats are about the same with Tendulkar a bit ahead of both.
    Whoa, slow down, chuckles. I don't find it 'wrong' - don't be so dramatic. I could turn your 'arrogant' statement right back at you, are you seeing my view then? We've both viewed his career a little differently and you've not given me basis to change my mind. All you've done is emphasise that he had long troughs of poorer form than L&T. For me he's just below them at the head of the next pack, which isn't very far behind these two greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Macaque View Post
    Kallis is 'touching Ponting' in batting. He's a top, top batsman. He's got more shots than any of them - even if he is a bit too obdurate to use most of them a lot of the time. He gets some tough runs too, possibly some of the toughest.

Kallis is 'touching Agarkar' in bowling. He's a lazy, reluctant bloke in this regard - he's pretty lucky he's been able to cheap it up against the minnows (where he suddenly wants to bowl loads) and against the tail when the tired opening pair and first change have had their fill with the top order.
    Kallis isn't close to Ponting as a batsman.

Whoa, slow down, chuckles. I don't find it 'wrong' - don't be so dramatic. I could turn your 'arrogant' statement right back at you, are you seeing my view then? We've both viewed his career a little differently and you've not given me basis to change my mind. All you've done is emphasise that he had long troughs of poorer form than L&T. For me he's just below them at the head of the next pack, which isn't very far behind these two greats.
    Lara had an absolutely shocking run of form for years in the 90s.

Ponting was the most dominant non-Bradman batsman of all time, in possibly the most dominant team of all time. That has to count for something.

I think you're doing Kallis a disservice - his stats are as good as Ponting's. The fluency of style isn't quite there with him, as you say Ponting was quite dominant and hence isn't quite as good but he's nearly there. Ponting's not quite as good as L&T but he's nearly there.

I think you're doing Kallis a disservice - his stats are as good as Ponting's. The fluency of style isn't quite there with him, as you say Ponting was quite dominant and hence isn't quite as good but he's nearly there. Ponting's not quite as good as L&T but he's nearly there.
    If you want to talk stats then let's analyse Kallis' piss poor record against the best attack of his era.

The one Ponting never faced? And an average of 40 is nowhere near piss poor.
    Last edited by Marcuss; 11-07-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    If you want to talk stats then let's analyse Kallis' piss poor record against the best attack of his era.
    Nah I wouldn't call England's attack back then the best but it was pretty good.

Averages less against SL for some reason than Aus and England.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Sanga is good but a hot dog bun + HP really sets it off.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Ponting is a better bat that Kallis, never though there was much doubt about that. Kallis the cricketer though wins out though when you factor in Ponting's captaincy and fielding (especially in the slips) its closer than most think.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Sanga is good but a hot dog bun + HP really sets it off.
    Prefer tomato sauce and mustard, with fried onions.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Pfft, Philistine.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Sour cream and sweet chilli is good as well.

(mostly trying to get my post count up here to see what happens to my title when I get to 300 posts!)

Lol.

Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information