• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
I'll go get my thesaurus ready. :wub:
Anyone who reckons that any given country - whether his own, or another - is THE litmus test for batters, bowlers or whatever, is, quite simply, a moron. They all count, although I would agree to varying degrees, and intelligent judgements are made by carefully weighing the evidence in the round. NOT by regurgitating - take that! - conceited mantras like "Anderson is crap because he's no good on the subcontinent" like hundreds of millions of your compatriot dunces.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep. You don't need to be a good player of spin to be a good batsman. If you can't play pace bowling, you won't survive except in countries where they're yet to properly figure out what pace bowling is.
Hmm, know you're exaggerating but even so, don't know about this.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hmm, know you're exaggerating but even so, don't know about this.
I'm not saying that you'll make it if you're completely clueless against spin, but I'd back a batsman who's good against pace bowling and poor to average against spin bowling to be more of a success than a batsman who's good against spin bowling but poor to average against pace bowling.

Spark

Global Moderator
I get that, but you have to have some way of competently playing spin if you want to survive at Test level for a decent period of time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyone who reckons that any given country - whether his own, or another - is THE litmus test for batters, bowlers or whatever, is, quite simply, a moron. They all count, although I would agree to varying degrees, and intelligent judgements are made by carefully weighing the evidence in the round. NOT by regurgitating - take that! - conceited mantras like "Anderson is crap because he's no good on the subcontinent" like hundreds of millions of your compatriot dunces.
Precisely. Anyone who's suggesting facing the might of Ishant Sharma and Sreesanth on an Ahmedabad road represents the litmus test of batsmanship is frankly deluded.

Ruckus

International Captain
Think i agree with you GF, although I'm not sure how much of it is just the bias that I find watching batting against the majority of spin bowling (and subcontinent cricket in general, really) to be boring.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
What in blazes are you talking about, man? Nobody argues the failure of subcontinental batsmen to ante up abroad, but the reverse applies to a large extent also. You don't need to be a great spinner to do well on an Indian dustbowl; ask Michael Clarke. That doesn't, in any way, absolve a batsman's inability to come to terms with the conditions. I'm the last person to sing hosannas for the Indian team but I'm failing to see your argument here. The "litmus" bit was taken directly from that other pom's post I remembered from a few days ago but couldn't be arsed quoting. But hey, you want to argue semantics, eat your heart out.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
What in blazes are you talking about, man? Nobody argues the failure of subcontinental batsmen to ante up abroad, but the reverse applies to a large extent also. You don't need to be a great spinner to do well on an Indian dustbowl; ask Michael Clarke. That doesn't, in any way, absolve a batsman's inability to come to terms with the conditions. I'm the last person to sing hosannas for the Indian team but I'm failing to see your argument here. The "litmus" bit was taken directly from that other pom's post I remembered from a few days ago but couldn't be arsed quoting. But hey, you want to argue semantics, eat your heart out.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood the point you were trying to make. The way I read your post, it seemed you were agreeing with the idea that India is the litmus test for batsmen. Now I know that you don't agree with that - or with the suggestion that it is possible to gauge a batsman or bowler's worth on the basis of his performances in a given country which has been selected arbitrarily as the gold standard - I realise we're on the same page so no problems.

smash84

The Tiger King
Precisely. Anyone who's suggesting facing the might of Ishant Sharma and Sreesanth on an Ahmedabad road represents the litmus test of batsmanship is frankly deluded.
haha......didn't think I would see the day that GF and CWB would be seeing eye to eye and GF would be vigorously nodding at every statement of CWB :p