Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: How good is Sanga?

Test batting is as much about not getting into the fire as it is getting out of it though. Laxman's firefighting ability is second-to-none, but on the other hand his conversion rate is shocking.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    I prefer my universe replete with Jaghuts, Tiste Andii and T'lan Imass, thank you very much. Laxman Down Under '99,'03,'07. Dravid in England last year. Tendulkar..yeah crap player.

Besides, I thought the Australians really, REALLY rated Laxman. The Australians that mattered anyway. The ones that kept whipping England...those ones
    First off you can leave Dravid and Tendulkar out of this discussion and stop implying that I have suggested that either of these two great players is crap. I was talking about Laxman - and more specifically your ridiculous contention that a player averaging 46 and with 17 centuries in 133 tests is "far greater" than one averaging 57 and with 30 centuries in 111 tests.

Second no doubt Laxman has done well in Australia, but one doesn't evaluate batsmen simply by highlighting their best performances and ignoring all the mediocre or poor ones. You take an overall view of what they have done in all sorts of conditions and against all sorts of opposition. Once you do that for Laxman you discover that he is not so special after all. And even if performing in Australia were the only criteria for greatness then Sanga would not be found wanting as he has ticked that box handsomely. As I have said the Australian players he actually played against voted him the most feared or most dangerous opposition batsman after he toured there.
    "In 2009 he lost his old, faded India cap, when it was stolen from a ground. He was very, very upset about it. It was dear to him and he was extremely proud to wear it."

Vijeeta Dravid on her husband Rahul, March 2012

Sangakkara has a great record to 'nitpick'. Always a pleasure watching him though.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB304 View Post
    First off you can leave Dravid and Tendulkar out of this discussion and stop implying that I have suggested that either of these two great players is crap. I was talking about Laxman - and more specifically your ridiculous contention that a player averaging 46 and with 17 centuries in 133 tests is "far greater" than one averaging 57 and with 30 centuries in 111 tests.

Second no doubt Laxman has done well in Australia, but one doesn't evaluate batsmen simply by highlighting their best performances and ignoring all the mediocre or poor ones. You take an overall view of what they have done in all sorts of conditions and against all sorts of opposition. Once you do that for Laxman you discover that he is not so special after all. And even if performing in Australia were the only criteria for greatness then Sanga would not be found wanting as he has ticked that box handsomely. As I have said the Australian players he actually played against voted him the most feared or most dangerous opposition batsman after he toured there.
    But you conveniently ignore Sangakkara's less than stellar stats in India, SA, and England. The guy has played 3 Tests in Australia, flopped miserably in the first, then did very well indeed in the other two. But if three tests is a good enough pool for you to proclaim his awesomeness in Australia, then surely 6,8 , and 9, in those three countries respectively with middling returns, is decent enough to knock him down a few pegs in the ATG pecking order. I don't see how that is fallacious, or dishonest reasoning.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 16-07-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    that is a fair point from douche
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    that is a fair point from douche
    That's Arachnodouche to you, bitch.

But you conveniently ignore Sangakkara's less than stellar stats in India, SA, and England. The guy has played 3 Tests in Australia, flopped miserably in the first, then did very well indeed in the other two. But if three tests is a good enough pool for you to proclaim his awesomeness in Australia, then surely 6,8 , and 9, in those three countries respectively with middling returns, is decent enough to knock him down a few pegs in the ATG pecking order. I don't see how that is fallacious, or dishonest reasoning.
    Now what is the fair sample you are looking at? Can you educate us on that?
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

That's Arachnodouche to you, bitch.
    What is arachnodouche if you don't mind me asking?

U19 Debutant
    You brought up Australia, and Laxman. I simply defended Sanga against your more absurd charges - and comprehensively demolished your arguments while I was at it. Now you seem to have given up on that line of attack - perhaps you should have wasted my time for a few more posts, for form's sake? - and opened up a new front.

But what is the point of my even responding, if you genuinely believe - after all, you've yet to withdraw the remark - that a good but nowhere near great player like Laxman is "far greater" than Sanga?

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    I know this is leading us to an inevitable thread with horrendous title "How good is Laxman Srivaramakrishnan"

Cricket Spectator
    Laxman is not an ATG.

He has played some great innings but that doesn't automatically make him an ATG. Too many holes on his CV.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    I know this is leading us to an inevitable thread with horrendous title "How good is Laxman Srivaramakrishnan"
    *Sivaramakrishnan
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB304 View Post
    You brought up Australia, and Laxman. I simply defended Sanga against your more absurd charges - and comprehensively demolished your arguments while I was at it. Now you seem to have given up on that line of attack - perhaps you should have wasted my time for a few more posts, for form's sake? - and opened up a new front.
    What are you, a kid playing Battleship? I believe I've made four posts in this thread, each one highlighting the guy's lack of runs in three countries that aren't exactly cricketing backwaters. Maybe I went off on a bit of a tangent, bringing the three Indians into the conversation, but that was an aside as to why a lot of sub continental batsmen aren't rated highly abroad.

The only person wasting your time is you. You strike me as the kind of guy who'd blame the world for his missus sneaking out on him when his incompetency in the sack obviously contributes a fair bit to the old woman's peccadilloes.

U19 Debutant
    What are you, a kid playing Battleship? I believe I've made four posts in this thread, each one highlighting the guy's lack of runs in three countries that aren't exactly cricketing backwaters. Maybe I went off on a bit of a tangent, bringing the three Indians into the conversation, but that was an aside as to why a lot of sub continental batsmen aren't rated highly abroad.

The only person wasting your time is you. You strike me as the kind of guy who'd blame the world for his missus sneaking out on him when his incompetency in the sack obviously contributes a fair bit to the old woman's peccadilloes.
    I'm amused by the analogy but you still haven't explained what it is that makes Laxman "far greater" than Sangakkara.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information