• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
VVS was the Australia buster... Surely more than enough aura there. But maybe Aldo is talking about how almost reverential commentators and maybe even some players got when Sachin or Lara were batting.. But then again, VVS pretty much got the same treatment from the Aussies...

Chanders against India is definitely all kinds of aura AFAIC... He worried me even more than Lara when we played Windies during my time of watching cricket...

cnerd123

likes this
Sachin, Lara, Ponting were all geniuses who pretty much maximised their talent (I keep forgetting to bracket Ponting up there with those two because of how much I hated him as a kid for the 2003 WC :( ). Hence the reverence.

Laxman, Mahela, Clarke, KP...these guys were magical, but apart from brief patches and some incredible innings never really fully scaled the heights we all felt they could achieve.

Dravid, Younis, Sanga, Shiv, Steve Waugh...these guys felt a lot more mortal. These guys had talent (more than 99% of the world) and worked their assess off and were/are also joys to watch, definitely amongst the finest batsmen of all time...but idk, they just didn't have that magic.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
VVS for the most part had an inverse relationship with the rest of the Indian batting line up, when VVS scores, most others don't, when the rest of the team scores, VVS usually unperformed. It wasn't always the case, but as an Indian fan you knew that VVS would bail you out when others failed, so he more than had an aura about him.

I think aura is basically formed from a sense of inevitability, if as a person you have ever worried (as the opposition), or banked on (as the supporter) for a particular player (whether its a bowler, batsmen or fielder or w/e) regardless of everything else (pitch, match situation, pressure etc), then that is what I consider an aura.

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Turns out it is pretty much subjective. Having followed VVS day in day out throughout his career, every minute of the Calcutta test and every other great innings he played, I have endless superlatives to describe him but having an aura wouldn't be one of them. He was a hero, a saviour, mesmerizing to watch, utterly dominant at his best and never failed to stand up against a team that battered many. Watson put it better than I could, and yes that was part of the reason as well. Anyway, this has dragged on stupidly longer than it should have.

Back on topic, it remains to be seen what sort of legacy Sanga leaves behind, he has insane numbers no doubt, but how well will those be remembered is another question.

ataraxia

International Coach
My Fondest Memory of Sangakkara

I remember a time, some years back, when I was having an exceptionally vivid dream. Sri Lanka were playing in some random final of epic proportions. The wicketkeeper batsman strides out to the middle and starts going after the bowling with aplomb and finesse, both flaying and carving out the opposition's attack with equal measure.

Mesmerized at how devastating he was, I drooled excitedly on my pillow and replayed the shots he played in my head in ultra-slow-mo. That brutal cut and mouthwatering drive was a sight to behold. The slash of his blade was akin to a samurai beheading a fly, with the sort of precision and purpose that only one who beheads flies on a daily basis could achieve.

149 blistering runs off only 104 deliveries with 13 dashing fours and 8 towering sixes. What an innings to set up an immense win for his team.

The dream changed shape and somehow the clarity improved to a point where I could see even flecks of dust in the air. I frowned in my sleep as I realized something was wrong with the picture. Sanga was decked in yellow and pointing to half a squash ball in his glove which apparently made him Superman.

I woke up breathless and glared incredulously at the bedroom wall. Catching sight of the clock, I realized it was afternoon and I had overslept as usual. Groaning inwardly at the fading memories of my dream, I dragged myself out of bed and checked out the empty fridge in vague hope that there might be something in there which could clear my head of all the cobwebs. Giving up on that thought I flopped down on the couch and flipped on the TV.

Sri Lanka vs India and Sanga was at the crease. My sleep-filled eyes widened in surprise and I stared at the LED screen in front of me transfixed as Ashish Nehra sprinted energetically to the crease, twisted his body in a mysterious manner and bowled short left-arm rubbish. Sanga goes for the epic pull shot and I grip the remote in my hand tightly. The ball pops up tamely in the air and Zaheer Khan makes the easy catch at mid-on look like an epic match-winning dive of glory. 17 off 38, way to go Sanga!!

Note that some aspects of this story are satirical and are hence to be taken with a pinch of salt, a shot of tequila and a pickled lime.