• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's so wrong with negative fields anyway?

Military Medium

Cricket Spectator
When England set cautious fields they are called tactically naïve; but they win

A month ago, I had one of the most interesting conversations I've ever had about sport. It was in a tiny restaurant in Paris with the brilliant football writer Simon Kuper. The subject was how Spain became the world's dominant football culture.

Spain have now won Euro 2008, the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012. They are also currently world champions at Under-19 and U-17 levels. The Spanish way - high skill, brilliant passing, and little focus on physical size or brutality - has mastered the world. Not only are Spain serial winners, they have also set football's philosophical agenda.

Our conversation in Paris began with football, but I realised afterwards that the question applied to all sports. How do games evolve? Can original thinkers change their sports forever? Is intelligence - or better still, insight - the most underused resource in sport? Can you think your way to success?

Kuper explained to me that the origins of modern football began with a single inspired insight by the superb Dutch player and coach Johan Cruyff. Like many great ideas it sounds obvious but it is actually profound. The pass, that is what really matters in football. The precision, the perfection of the pass. Everything else - the arm-waving, the brave running around, the passionate sweat and tears - is peripheral. Being better at passing is what wins football matches.

Prompted by Cruyff, Barcelona set up La Masia academy to educate players about the pass. When you watch Spain mesmerise opponents, you are watching an idea brought to life. There is a bloodline that runs from Cruyff - via Pep Guardiola - to Xavi, Iniesta and Fàbregas, the champions of Europe, champions of the world. One idea changed the game forever. Spanish dominance is not just based on skill. It is founded on brains.

Yet the most interesting part of the story is the resistance to Spain's success, the refusal to follow the logic that has created it. Throughout Euro 2012, English pundits continued to accuse Spain of being "boring". The English old guard even condemned Spain's selection and tactics. How risk-averse, how stupid of Spain not to play a centre forward at all? Well, Spain won the final 4-0, without playing a centre forward for much of the game. Their first goal was brilliantly set up by Fàbregas, a midfielder picked instead of a regular centre forward. Stupid Spain, boring Spain? Behind the insult, observe the anger. When a pack of conventional thinkers are confused, they lash out at what they don't understand.

We see the same criticisms thrown around in cricket, the same reluctance to accept that new thinking might lead to better results. Here is an example. Pundits often ridicule captains for setting "negative" fields. The assumption is that it is always a "positive" move (i.e. that it will lead to more wickets) to have more slips and fewer fielders saving the single.

But what is positive, what is negative?

When I was a player, I often liked batting against very "positive" fields. Because I liked to bat at a reasonable tempo, feeling that the scoreboard was ticking along. Many players have a natural tempo, a pace of scoring that makes them feel they are in control. In a perfect world, of course, batsmen should be able to defend for hours without worrying about the scoring rate. But most batsmen are human beings.

That's why I often found it easier to score runs against flashy, "positive" captains, who were always trying to set eye-catching "aggressive" fields. While they were arranging catchers in apparently original groupings, runs flowed from the bat. I would much rather bat against an egotistical captain trying to impress the crowd than an unobtrusive captain trying to stop me batting in the way that suited me.

Now I've retired, I can reveal an effective and underused tactic: stop people scoring (whatever the type of match) and you'll probably get them out. This has become even more relevant to Test cricket during the era of T20 cricket. Batsmen have become increasingly used to hitting boundaries in Test cricket because T20 has changed the way people feel about their natural scoring rate. That's why Andrew Strauss is unafraid to have more fielders saving one and fewer catchers in Test cricket.

When England set cautious fields, they too are called "tactically naïve". And they win. When Spain don't play a centre forward, they are called boring and tactically naïve. And they win.

It is time to revisit some definitions. What are tactics but tools for winning sports matches? And since when was it naïve to play to your strengths?

A case study of thinking and winning is the story of the Oakland Athletics in baseball. Thanks to the book, and now film, Moneyball, it is has become one of the famous stories in sport. As with Cruyff's insight about the pass, the over-performance of the Oakland A's began with a single insight. The best way to approach winning a baseball match is not thinking about scoring runs. It is to focus on getting on base. A run is usually the by-product of getting on base. Runs are hard to predict; getting on base is much easier to assess and calculate. So the Athletics focused on the tractable, controllable parts of the match, ignoring the headline-grabbing end-product.

In 2002 the Athletics unveiled their new strategy. Guess what: the pack of baseball pundits and insiders didn't like it. They accused the Athletics of wrong-headedness, hubris and over-intellectualism. Undeterred, Oakland won a record 103 matches out of 162.

Conventional wisdom moves at a glacial pace because people become attached to ideas that are no longer relevant. Military historians say that generals are always preparing to fight the war that has just ended. So it is in sport.

Boring Spain, naïve England, wrong-headed Oakland? I prefer the idea that sport is always evolving, with new ideas driving the pace of change.

From the desk of Ed Smith

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that article doesn't really even confront, let alone answer, the age old question: should you have more than one slip in place bowling to number 11?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
When people complain about "negative" fields, they're not generally talking about having the extra man in the covers, or a silly midwicket to stop the single, they're talking about having four fielders on the boundary for Tino Best.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I can understand having some men back at a no.11 but you've got to have the catching positions in place or there's gonna end up taking time out of the game for your team and probably score runs in some fashion too.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
What they are talking about is being on top and having a sweeper back and watching balls go through the vacant second slip for four anyway.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I can understand having some men back at a no.11 but you've got to have the catching positions in place or there's gonna end up taking time out of the game for your team and probably score runs in some fashion too.
The last thing you want to do is let a no 11 believe that he's a real batsman. If he slogs a couple to the boundary then keep the men up, his luck will run out pretty quickly.

Uppercut

He's right, of course, but it's fine by me if everyone wants to pretend that the type of cricket we all want to see is more effective than it actually is.

Debris

International 12th Man
I think negative implies that you are counting on your opponent beating themselves, something great sides don't need to do. People don't really like it because sides are acknowledging they have limitations.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
One thing the movie MoneyBall or the Author does not confront is that the Athletics Team had 9 players(identified) in their roster who were on drugs...One of the reasons why they won that many..Is it the Game that Spain plays is boring? or they are called boring because there is no contest when Spain plays...almost like the 90's Aussies..I cannot imagine somebody(English writers) would say Spain's game is boring..

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
When people complain about "negative" fields, they're not generally talking about having the extra man in the covers, or a silly midwicket to stop the single, they're talking about having four fielders on the boundary for Tino Best.
IIRC, the sky commies regularly moaned about England only having 2 slips and a gully in the Ashes, and they might have done the same thing against India as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My tuppence worth is that it's partly a risk/reward thing for the bowlers in England's case. Bresnan and particularly Broad have looked far better bowlers when they've pitched it up and have been prepared to be driven.

No bowler worth his salt likes going for runs, so (and one can only guess whether it's come at the bowlers' or the captain's behest) the pay off for the fuller length is more cover on the drive.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The most brilliant example of so-called negative tactics in the past decade or so was Dhoni's choke of the Australians in India with the packed off side field and Zaheer bowling way out too. Made for ugly viewing, got the geriatrics like Chappell riled up, but it worked like a dream. Pity what's happened to that Dhoni.

Uppercut

My tuppence worth is that it's partly a risk/reward thing for the bowlers in England's case. Bresnan and particularly Broad have looked far better bowlers when they've pitched it up and have been prepared to be driven.

No bowler worth his salt likes going for runs, so (and one can only guess whether it's come at the bowlers' or the captain's behest) the pay off for the fuller length is more cover on the drive.
True, although he also sometimes leaves a huge gap at cover as an invitation.

I think what England have realised that the commentators haven't twigged onto is that the ball just isn't going in the air to third slip very often. They used one a bit more in Australia where pitches were faster and a lot of the batsmen were going hard at the ball. But the commentators kept doing their "don't they WANT to take wickets?!?!" routine even in the UAE, where there was clearly no point in a third slip.