• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in West Indies

Flem274*

123/5
Has anyone ever taken out the Indians with spin though? We win with our quicks, because our quicks, even the reserves/currently injured ones, on an Indian pitch are still better than one of our not so good spinners on an Indian pitch.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Oh yeah completely agree. I'd much prefer 4 quicks to playing any of our spinners atm. But that's unlikely to happen so they should take Jeetan.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Todd Astle would be my choice for the new merry go round - (previously centred on opening batsman and wicket keepers)

Jeets has had a million chances and unless he develops a doosra I would not trust that he has improved or had anything new to offer.

Mike5181

International Captain
Oh yeah completely agree. I'd much prefer 4 quicks to playing any of our spinners atm. But that's unlikely to happen so they should take Jeetan.
Patel played in the Indian test series in 2010/11

3 wickets @ 69
SR: 104.00
Econ: 4

Add that performance to the test in Zimbabwe where he conceded nearly 150 runs without taking a single wicket. I'd much rather have our current bowling attack.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Jeets has played 13 Tests, all of them with Vettori. I'd be interested to see if there was any difference in his performance if he was the sole spinner. I'm not saying he'd succeed at all. I just genuinely think he's the best of our options right now. Especially considering he's actually played a lot of cricket (with plenty of success) over the winter.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Replace Vettori like for like... LUKE WOODCOCK. Bahnz to agree.

Don't want Astle - watched a lot of his wickets on blackcaps site last season and they were mostly rank. Despite Nethula's struggles he is still a better option. Confidence must have taken a beating on Windies tour though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Replace Vettori like for like... LUKE WOODCOCK. Bahnz to agree.

Don't want Astle - watched a lot of his wickets on blackcaps site last season and they were mostly rank. Despite Nethula's struggles he is still a better option. Confidence must have taken a beating on Windies tour though.
but have u seen the vid of him bowling to boam in the domestic thread.

Flem274*

123/5
Get in the other thread ****s. You don't want to know what Mike sacrificed to motivate me to make that.

Unless you're going to discuss Jeets. Take that to cricket humour.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Well that was one of the most depressing months in NZ's cricket history. Apart from the one-day series in Bangladesh, nearly all our other humiliations have usually been at the hands of some world-class players and teams (trying to forget the Saqlain and Harbhajan centuries for a moment)...

Getting beaten fairly comfortably and losing all the big moments against this side of honest triers (which I acknowledge is a welcome improvement in recent West Indies teams..) shows we really are the bottom of the pile. Seriously, we'd be viewing a tour to Bangladesh with some worry at the moment, wouldn't we? Never mind one to India.

Ten years ago we went to the Caribbean and won a two-test series 1-0. The rain helped, but we'd unearthed a new pace attack in Bond and Butler to terrify the world for a decade to come (not to mention Adams back in NZ), Vettori took 7 wickets to help win the first test, Richardson had showed up as the best opener for a decade, and Styris made an awesome debut to add another cog to a fairly solid middle order. Robbie Hart even looked like being a decent replacement for Parore. Lots of reasons to be cheerful.

Coming off this tour, we have a big improvement in Guptill's ability to get past the new ball (but no change in his ability to get out stupidly having done most of the hard work). That's it.

My only hope for the Indian tour is that a few of these players do seem to have a talent for coming out with something great just when I've given up all hope in them. So a double-ton for McCullum in the first test, and centuries for Guptill and Taylor in the second to get us a 0-0 draw?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Well that was one of the most depressing months in NZ's cricket history. Apart from the one-day series in Bangladesh, nearly all our other humiliations have usually been at the hands of some world-class players and teams (trying to forget the Saqlain and Harbhajan centuries for a moment)...

Getting beaten fairly comfortably and losing all the big moments against this side of honest triers (which I acknowledge is a welcome improvement in recent West Indies teams..) shows we really are the bottom of the pile. Seriously, we'd be viewing a tour to Bangladesh with some worry at the moment, wouldn't we? Never mind one to India.

Ten years ago we went to the Caribbean and won a two-test series 1-0. The rain helped, but we'd unearthed a new pace attack in Bond and Butler to terrify the world for a decade to come (not to mention Adams back in NZ), Vettori took 7 wickets to help win the first test, Richardson had showed up as the best opener for a decade, and Styris made an awesome debut to add another cog to a fairly solid middle order. Robbie Hart even looked like being a decent replacement for Parore. Lots of reasons to be cheerful.

Coming off this tour, we have a big improvement in Guptill's ability to get past the new ball (but no change in his ability to get out stupidly having done most of the hard work). That's it.

My only hope for the Indian tour is that a few of these players do seem to have a talent for coming out with something great just when I've given up all hope in them. So a double-ton for McCullum in the first test, and centuries for Guptill and Taylor in the second to get us a 0-0 draw?
Sorry, but how on earth are the WI 'honest triers'? The only player that description fits is Sammy, overall they easily have more talent than NZ.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Honestly can't say I'm surprised at the wins that came. Narine at home and Gayle back were sure to provide something extra as well as players in form being selected.