• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig - Cowdrey Lecture

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least with Tony Greig's opinions you can be confident that they are, as they always have been, genuinely held - he does talk some twaddle at times, and overall I probably disagree with more of what he says than I agree with, but I'd always rather listen to him than an apologist/appeaser

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
At least with Tony Greig's opinions you can be confident that they are, as they always have been, genuinely held - he does talk some twaddle at times, and overall I probably disagree with more of what he says than I agree with, but I'd always rather listen to him than an apologist/appeaser
Really? You reckon the guy doesn't throw out things just to get a reaction?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah with Vic on this. Would have thought Tony is one of the bigger trolls in the commentary box.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's not a troll, he just repeats the same things over and over in an attempt to get his point across. He actually believes what he says, he's not just saying them to get a reaction. Other than the times he jokingly takes a swing at Bill.

Top_Cat

Those are jokes?!

With Benchy, Grieg seems to be more of 'heart bigger than his brain' types more than anything. Obvz don't know the guy so....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah Greig spends years pumping up the Indian batting in his commentary for C9, and then this most recent tour after the 4th innings of the MCG (i.e. India hadn't batted poorly in the next 3 tests yet!) he calls them flat track bullies on his Twitter.

Trollin trollin trollin.

I agree he's not trolling 24/7, and he will believe a lot of his schtick, but he says **** for the reaction as well.

benchmark00

Nah Greig spends years pumping up the Indian batting in his commentary for C9, and then this most recent tour after the 4th innings of the MCG (i.e. India hadn't batted poorly in the next 3 tests yet!) he calls them flat track bullies on his Twitter.

Trollin trollin trollin.

I agree he's not trolling 24/7, and he will believe a lot of his schtick, but he says **** for the reaction as well.
Wasn't the Australian tour after the English one where they got whitewashed on decks with a bit in them..?

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
4 things with BCCI that makes everyone unhappy..1) Anti-DRS 2) IPL schedule interferes with Test match schedule 3) Always wins ICC presidency 4) Threatens to cancel tour ..My answer is

1)
Some genuine question bcci is asking a) Money to have DRS is too high for some boards for eg SL they cannot even pay players salary b) make it fool proof
2) Here BCCI is in the wrong ..they can create a schedule for IPL not interfering Test Matches
3) BCCI= ICC ..till India has the money evrybody resign to this idea pls
4) Never has done it..oops sorry i forgot 2 instances
1) removed umpires once. (Gatting fought with Rana for the same thing ) so nothing unusual
2) ball tampering Sachin incident.. forfeited a match. Darrell Hair vs Pak remember
still never cancelled the tour

There is a fifth one i forgot TAKE IT or LEAVE IT attitude(that comes with absolute power)

So is BCCI still that bad ? I don't think so..by the way show Tony Greig the money and a belly dancer he will GROVEL

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
TV broadcasters can provide it, money could be set aside for the poorer boards.

Greig suggests it gets shortened and is afforded a gap in the international calendar.

No one complains about the ICC presidency because they don't always win it

.The Tendulkar ball tampering incident was only averted because the ICC declared the match invalid.

Fun fact that doesn't make his arguments invalid regardless of whether or not that statement is true.

benchmark00

The result being that luck rather than the ability of players sometimes decides the outcome of games.
That's all apart of the game of cricket for alot of people. You need a bit of luck to go your way sometimes.

The most frustrating part of UDRS fan boys is that they refuse to acknowledge and understand the other point of view.

Cricket is such a unique and deep sport that there are hundreds of points of discussion you can have about any one game. Umpiring decisions is just another one of these topics. The way I see it, sport was never designed to be an exact science.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The way I see it, sport was never designed to be an exact science.
No but one of the basic tenets of sport as I see it as that the outcome should be fair. It's why we punish cheating so harshly. You may disagree, and that's fine, but to me if you can't place trust in the outcome, the whole exercise is pointless.