• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whatever happened to Copeland?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Would a county team approach someone like him? He would be a handy player in county cricket I think, since his fielding his sharp, his batting is capable and his bowling would trouble many at that level particularly early in the year.
More like all year. Looking like being an incredibly wet summer.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
His form/luck improved in the final two games of the season. I believe his bowling average was over 100 prior to the game against Queensland.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm a lot confident in Copeland coming back and having a good season compared to SOK, who just looked like he had no idea all season bar one innings.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
are you trying to be a dick?

s****** s****** s******

yeah guess what he did bowl against nsw

e: lol at filter, substitute s****** with guffaw
Spikey said that tbf to Copeland that Siddle, Pattinson and Hilf all got to bowl against weaker opposition.

I agreed, tongue in cheek, saying had NSW to bowl against, because NSW's batsmen were very ordinary this year. Then you bring up a game where Siddle had slightly better figures than Copeland, depending on how you look at it actually supports what I was saying. :unsure:

Maybe I'm just daft.

uvelocity

International Coach
Spikey said that tbf to Copeland that Siddle, Pattinson and Hilf all got to bowl against weaker opposition.

I agreed, tongue in cheek, saying had NSW to bowl against, because NSW's batsmen were very ordinary this year. Then you bring up a game where Siddle had slightly better figures than Copeland, depending on how you look at it actually supports what I was saying. :unsure:

Maybe I'm just daft.
Copeland is such a dire bowler, and NSW was such a dire batting line up.

Should P-Siddy not have smoked Copeland in that match?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Copeland is such a dire bowler, and NSW was such a dire batting line up.

Should P-Siddy not have smoked Copeland in that match?
Haha, what a bunch of semantics.

On the form of that season, yes, you probably would have. On the basis of their careers at FC level, probably not. Irrespective of citing one game as evidence for anything. There were plenty of games where MacGill bowled better than Warne when playing together, it didn't make him a better bowler (cue Benchmark00).

My point regarding Copeland is this: the best teams have had a bowling set-up where the best bowlers can be taken anywhere and expected to perform. The Windies had that in the 1980s, the Australians in the 2000s and slightly earlier. Even if you look at us in India, the series we won in 2004 we played three quicks in every game (from memory); we didn't chop and change and try to play horses for courses.

Does anyone think that Copeland could be part of that sort of attack? The selectors obviously didn't, and thus far they've been proven right. We jump all over them for what we perceive as poor selections, and I think they deserve some credit for, at this stage, getting one right.

uvelocity

International Coach
Yeah they got it right because we improved. But we were doing alright in SL also.

Nobody knows that their fortunes wouldn't have been reversed if they'd have played copeland in SA

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah they got it right because we improved. But we were doing alright in SL also.

Nobody knows that their fortunes wouldn't have been reversed if they'd have played copeland in SA
They really didn't though, because the bowling in SA was largely ****e (way less tight than it was in SL) and saved from complete embarrassment by Cummins and Watson. Luckily for the selectors, Siddle decided to really start improving back home in the next series and Johnson was forced out due to injury (who knows if they would have had the cojones to drop him otherwise).

Credit it has to go to them for the recall of Hilf, although tbf, at the time the other options were very limited anyway. And full credit for Pattinson who is a genuinely good find. Not really sure about the Cummins selection. Looks great in retrospect, and it was useful to see a bit of his potential, but given how mediocre the rest of the attack was during that series you really feel like they got away with one there. Could have backfired badly. I doubt they were expecting him to single-handedly win the match for us.

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah I guess, I was sort of taking the season as a whole we improved from the previous year. You have a point though.

Ruckus

International Captain
Most of the good stuff that's happened, especially with bowling, can't really be put down to selection imo. It's somewhat ironic as well, that despite the massive criticism over the previous selectors, we've ended up with basically the same attack Hildick and co. would have chosen anyway (E.g. Hilf, Siddle, Harris etc.). I'm not saying that's the wrong attack or anything, but the improvement is no doubt mainly down to people like McDermott. I feel the selectors haven't really had to make the tough decisions yet. Think they might have to in due course though, cause I'm still not that confident that both Siddle and Hilf will hold their own in the longer term. Probably will have to make some tough decision in regards to the batting as well.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
think I'll go the other way and say that seaon 10/11 was the abberation. all started when ponting told em to pitch short at the gabba and had everyone back

Ruckus

International Captain
The favoured length of someone like Siddle has always been on the short side though. Probably took some serious stamping in from the coach to get him out of that habit.

Valer

First Class Debutant
The favoured length of someone like Siddle has always been on the short side though. Probably took some serious stamping in from the coach to get him out of that habit.
Surely they can't not notice that pitching it up brings success tho. The aus attack will be v intresting for the next 6-12 months.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah no doubt they realise the value of it now (here's hoping that without McDermott they will continue to focus on it). But before this period, I doubt someone like Siddle really did; his bowling mentality has always been centred around aggression, bowling quick and 'running in hard' as they say. Until recently as well he never really got much movement with the ball (especially not swing), and that's the real benefit of pitching the ball up.