• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kevin Pietersen Retires From ODIs and T20Is

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sep 2011 ftr

so the new ones will be released before the t20 wc, but the squads for the t20 wc will be named before the new contracts.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have thought the T20 + tests route would have been ideal, but I can see why the ECB want to stop players doing that as ODIs make a lot of money and if a number of players give up the ODIs it would be a blow.

Not really that much of a shock I guess, given he's always going on about how amazing the IPL is, and at the same time he's always complaining about being away too much. Though I don't think this will help him play more IPL as the English summer always starts with the tests. It will allow him to play Champions League in September though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I expect him to be belting it at the ODI's next summer

Seriously though, I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. He would have been a key player in the world T20 IMO.

after 4 years of totally ****ing **** form Kevin Pietersen celebrates his return to form by retiring
It's like he just wanted to shove one up the media's arse before going, typical of the man tbh. Although it's not really the way to repay the selectors faith and persistence with him when he went through a rough patch.

The first English loss to the IPL i guees. Since his side qualified for the Champions League he would have been playing pretty much through to next January and I know he's been vocal about too much travel.
I actually think we've been hit harder by the IPL than most ironically. Pietersen and Flintoff picked up their injuries in 2009 playing IPL and it ended Flintoff's career and Pietersen didn't really pick up form against until the Ashes or the 2011 summer.

Apparently he wanted to retire from ODI's and not T20. But according to ECB rules you retire from one and you have to retire from the other.
That's ridiculous. Strauss retired from T20I's only. Or was he just not selected?

when did the most recent central contracts come out?
At the end of last summer.

Do we expect KP to get a central contract this year?

Jager

International Debutant
Pretty bummed, probably won't even bother watching England one dayers now that the big man is gone.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If he's been the only reason that you've been watching them over the past few years, then you haven't had to watch for too long then. :ph34r:

Jacknife

International Captain
Weird stuff, seriously pissed off that he isn't going to the WC, England will seriously struggle without him. Strange that he's just returned to form in 50 over cricket a well and I thought he could really push on. Doesn't have anything on the surface to do with the IPL stuff because he has to come back home to play Tests like he did this year. It's bull**** that that the ECB won't let him continue playing T20 cricket though, ridiculous. Lots of people wanted him to stop playing 50 over cricket not that long ago and to just concentrate on Test and T20.

Strange this has come up because I was reading somewhere that in the last 7 years he's played the second amount of cricket to Dhoni, another guy with retirement talk.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
If he's been the only reason that you've been watching them over the past few years, then you haven't had to watch for too long then. :ph34r:
Hahaha, I've only been a cricket fan for nine months or so, so I conveniently missed the worst of him :p

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's a poor move by KP to be honest. He should at least play the WI ODI's so that he can get a look at Narine before the IPL next year. I mean it's in his best interests :ph34r:

Weird stuff, seriously pissed off that he isn't going to the WC, England will seriously struggle without him. Strange that he's just returned to form in 50 over cricket a well and I thought he could really push on. Doesn't have anything on the surface to do with the IPL stuff because he has to come back home to play Tests like he did this year.

Strange this has come up because I was reading somewhere that in the last 7 years he's played the second amount of cricket to Dhoni, another guy with retirement talk.
I think it's more to do with the fact that by playing IPL he loses a period where he might get a break, so he perhaps wants to use the ODI slots for one instead. Some people have mentioned the Champions League as well.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Would it be wrong to say Pietersen is loved and admired a lot more around the world by fans than he is in England?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
How old is his son now? It could be that he doesn't want to miss a big part of him growing up.

In any case the ODI series will be more competitive now.