Viv Richards (46.67)
    Sachin Tendulkar (46.67)
    Garry Sobers (71.43)
    Adam Gilchrist (77.36)
    Imran Khan (42.86)
    Malcolm Marshall (74.07)
    Shane Warne (45.24)
    Glenn Mcgrath (33.30)
    Last edited by kyear2; 29-04-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Names listed with the percentage of votes received. Mcgrath had the closest vote but the rest were pretty decisive. So what do you guys think, representative of the site? Kinda got the idea that some wanted Hadlee over Mcgrath, but what say you.

Thanks for voting, each poll had at least 50 votes, so participation was good and should be a good representation of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    participation was good and should be a good representation of the forum.
    Very unimaginative of us imo. That being said, this team seems (at least on face value) borderline undefeatable. It will be very interesting to see how our second, third and fourth etc. teams fair against this one in the sim.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

It's rather unfair to decry the orthodox nature of a team selected collectively. Just about all of us had a couple of left-field selections, but as is the nature of those, they aren't going to be agreed upon.

Why be imaginative at the expense of choosing the best team. It has variety, great slip and overall fielders, the batting has attacking and anchor players, the bowling attack has raw pace, swing, reverse swing, accuratecy, rhb and lhb (med/fast and slow), cant think of a better 11.

If pushed probably Barry Richards for his speed of scoring and to add another slip catcher, but he just didnt play enough, other wise a slam dunk for me, or even Gavaskar, who was a slightly faster scorer than Hutton and also could add depth to the slips and if one wanted more speed or agression then Lillee, Ambrose, Trueman or Lindwall over Mcgrath. But over all, good team and we all selected it.
    Last edited by kyear2; 29-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The "Official" CW XI :

Jack Hobbs (80.95)
    Len Hutton (41.27)
    Don Bradman (91.67)
    Viv Richards (46.67)
    Sachin Tendulkar (46.67)
    Garry Sobers (71.43)
    Adam Gilchrist (77.36)
    Imran Khan (42.86)
    Malcolm Marshall (74.07)
    Shane Warne (45.24)
    Glenn Mcgrath (33.30)
    So despite people complaining about the other list, that side would have been (using the same criteria of two all rounders, two fast bowlers, one spinner, two openers, three middle order and one wk):

1. Hobbs
    2. Grace
    3. Bradman
    4. Tendulkar
    5. Richards
    6. Sobers
    7. Gilchrist
    8. Imran
    9. Warne
    10. Marshall
    11. McGrath
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    It's rather unfair to decry the orthodox nature of a team selected collectively. Just about all of us had a couple of left-field selections, but as is the nature of those, they aren't going to be agreed upon.
    That's absolutely true, and I am not going to argue with democracy. This team is a collective effort, I was just pointing out that it is incredibly similar to Cricinfo's selections.

And using the open format that some have been clamoring for the only difference there would have been would be Murali over Mcgrath, which would leave Sobers as your third fast bowler. Whch would annoy ikki to no end.
    Last edited by kyear2; 29-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.

And using the open format that some have been clamoring for the only difference there would have been would be Murali over Mcgrath, which would leave Sobers as your third fast bowler. Whch would annoy ikki to no end.
    Murali over McGrath and Hadlee over Tendulkar / Viv is what I'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    I don't think many people here would opt for Imran at seven and Hadlee at eight in an all-time team, myself.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't think many people here would opt for Imran at seven and Hadlee at eight in an all-time team, myself.
    +1
    One batter short imo.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    From memory this is the same team chosen as the ESPN Cricinfo panel last year except that Akram was preferred over McGrath. A better choice in my opinion as the presence of a left-armer gives his captain more variety and options with regards to worn areas on the pitch, batsmans inherent dislikes, swing through the air, etc.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

It was actually Akran and Lillee instead of Imran and Mcgrath.

Its an awesome team so any fault that I find is going to be miniscule, but having 5 RH batsman and then 2 LH batsman is not the perfect balance. I love Lara (when your at an arcade no one looks at the best performed averages or most career points/runs, they look at the highest scores) so having him in the side and batting at 4 adds to the glamour of the team in my eyes.

I also feel as though Glenn McGrath is still very fresh in our minds. In future decades, I don't think he'll necessarily make the team..

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information